Welcome to the Cadillac V-Series Forums!

CT5-V Has your engine blown up yet?

CT5-V Model

Has your engine blown up yet?

• Total voters
For argument sake, lets say there are 6k 5BW currently running around, do we really need to record 5,987 no votes? Wouldn't the premise be that we can't know if ours are going to fail, so how about we just ask to record all the known failures (insofar as the scope of this site)?

That’s assuming a failure with an even distribution across all samples and years of the 5 BW. Which may not be the case.

I'm not tempting fate answering that one!

I did put in the most recent engine blow thread a list of the ones I've seen on here. I know it's not every incidence of a blown motor - just those on this forum - and of those, only the ones who actually post about it, but based on that sample size about 10 across all model years.

AACaptRet, MY2022, ~5000 miles, bottom-end
Nadnerb, MY2023 ,~200 miles, bottom-end
Carguyshu, MY2022, ~3500 miles, bottom-end
CT4BW757, MY2023, ~10000 miles, tick (lifter?)
CT5BWEnthusiast, MY2023, ~21000 miles, tick (lifter?)
SS Performance, MY2024, ~5500 miles, ? bottom-end ?
Magnetic Flux, MY2024, ~6500 miles, lifters
Philsblackraven, MY2022, ~14500 miles, spark plugs (w/engine damage)
Motobones, MY2024, ~3128 miles, bottom-end
Dmkp621, MY2022, ? miles,?misfire?

My guess is this is probably going to be roughly similar in frequency to the whole Porsche 9x6 IMS thing and maybe one day someone's going to actually identify the root cause and there will be a preventive fix...

Last edited:
For argument sake, lets say there are 6k 5BW currently running around, do we really need to record 5,987 no votes? Wouldn't the premise be that we can't know if ours are going to fail, so how about we just ask to record all the known failures (insofar as the scope of this site)?
True, but I kinda want to get a sense of the denominator we are dealing with.

We don't have 6000 active members on this site. If its 9/6000 then it's a rare failure, but if it's closer to 9/100 active posters then it's more concerning.

We went through similar discussions when the GT 350 motors were failing due to oil consumption or the failed chain tensioner actuator.

True, but I kinda want to get a sense of the denominator we are dealing with.

We don't have 6000 active members on this site. If its 9/6000 then it's a rare failure, but if it's closer to 9/100 active posters then it's more concerning.
Someone whose engine is blown is more likely to be active.
If everything is going swimmingly, there’s a damn good chance that you came on here to say hello to everyone in the giddy honeymoon phase of first receiving your car, and that you then carried on as if you never joined the forum.
In my opinion, while this poll may be fun, in the end it won’t tell us much about the genuine odds unless there is serious adjustment for the variable engagement of those who have no problems versus those who do, which I don’t think you can do accurately.
Any actuaries here? Maybe they could chime in?

Last edited:
Like in the case of the 350 failures, Ford never published any data as to why it happened or how many engines got replaced. A few people had two replacements.....I'm betting that Ford was quite happy when the original warranty was up on them, and pretty soon the extended warranties will be gone too. In fact, Ford is starting to ask lots of questions and doing engines teardowns for those that bought the extended warranty and now need a new engine. For a while, they just shipped out a new long block. GM will never publicly let us know the failure rates or why. It's estimated that a new long block and install was about 26K....One of the dumber things they did was use a steel bolt that held the AC compressor on that went right into the aluminum engine block, which of course would get seized and stuck in the block. It was supposed to be a onetime usage, and when the AC got put back on......using the original bolt, it sheard off......so some people got new engines due to that.....and some got mad that the new block did not match numbers on the chassis.....that the original block had.....and Ford told people, they would not reissue the same number on a new block......a real shitshow.

Last edited:
Someone whose engine is blown is more likely to be active.
If everything is going swimmingly, there’s a damn good chance that you came on here to say hello to everyone in the giddy honeymoon phase of first receiving your car, and that you then carried on as if you never joined the forum.
In my opinion, while this poll may be fun, in the end it won’t tell us much about the genuine odds unless there is serious adjustment for the variable engagement of those who have no problems versus those who do, which I don’t think you can do accurately.
Any actuaries here? Maybe they could chime in?
100%. This poll tells us nothing.

These motors come with outstanding factory warranty coverage. 0 concern for me.

I can't say I worry about it too much. That's what a warranty is for (not that I WANT that to happen), and if it hasn't blown by 6yrs/70k, it's probably in the clear.

I was hoping it was just due to a "bad batch of parts" but since blown engines now span MY22-MY24, I doubt it can be blamed on that at this point.

Still not worried though. It's better than the BMW M world where replacing rod bearings is regular expected maintenance.

This is basically a site for a handful of old farts….. The same people generally start and comment on the threads. Lately, it seems there’s very little activity.
I think there are two reasons for low activity compared to, say, BMW 2 and 3 Series forums. One, far fewer of these cars have been sold. Second, and more importantly, these cars hit their targets so well that there is less scope for performance and handling modifications. Hence the posts here are mostly about occasional problems rather than debating endless, dubious modifications.

And every time an attempt is made to spice it up, people get upset and complain this is an auto forum and we shall not discuss other topics. That is where the old fart reputation comes from.

Like in the case of the 350 failures, Ford never published any data as to why it happened or how many engines got replaced. A few people had two replacements.....I'm betting that Ford was quite happy when the original warranty was up on them, and pretty soon the extended warranties will be gone too. In fact, Ford is starting to ask lots of questions and doing engines teardowns for those that bought the extended warranty and now need a new engine. For a while, they just shipped out a new long block. GM will never publicly let us know the failure rates or why. It's estimated that a new long block and install was about 26K....One of the dumber things they did was use a steel bolt that held the AC compressor on that went right into the aluminum engine block, which of course would get seized and stuck in the block. It was supposed to be a onetime usage, and when the AC got put back on......using the original bolt, it sheard off......so some people got new engines due to that.....and some got mad that the new block did not match numbers on the chassis.....that the original block had.....and Ford told people, they would not reissue the same number on a new block......a real shitshow.
And the numbers on that fiasco were impressively high! Ferd didn't get the engine correct until 3rd gen? The percentages on the 350 motors having problems to the LT4 is staggering.

Win 2 Supercharged Cadillacs!

Win both supercharged Cadillac Vs!

Supporting Vendors

Exhibitions of Speed

Signature Wheels

Taput Tunning LLC

V-Series Marketplace

Advertise with the Cadillac V-Net!

Torque Shop

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom