Welcome to the Cadillac V-Series Forums!

Blown Motor

That's for the V6, its the V8s that are blowing. There is definitely some sort of new issue with the 6.2 beyond just the blackwing. Escalades are blowing 6.2s enough to be a concern too.

I wonder if GM will recall them like Toyota did with the 3.4TT motor
There is no new issue. This has been going on for the past 15-20 years ever since GM introduced AFM/DoD. Whether the car has the mode or not, all the crap lifters, etc are still inside the engine.

There is no new issue. This has been going on for the past 15-20 years ever since GM introduced AFM/DoD. Whether the car has the mode or not, all the crap lifters, etc are still inside the engine.
That's a good point. Anecdotal evidence says they are much more prone to failure when activated. The M6 cars have DoD/AFM tuned out.

The lifters are the old issue. The new issue is something going on with the bottom end. Either rod or main bearings that are going on all these 6.2s

I could keep going on and on, but there's just endless threads with the same problem across all the forums.

Last edited:
Well hate to see it. I just hit 22k miles and still kicking strong. I guess I'm one of the few lucky ones at this rate...

20240630_121353.jpg

Mechanical things fail. This is the unlucky lottery, not an epidemic. Even if you found a 1,000 threads of L87 failures, I wouldn't think twice about owning one.

The L87 truck engine is a distant cousin to the LT4.

Mechanical things fail. This is the unlucky lottery, not an epidemic. Even if you found a 1,000 threads of L87 failures, I wouldn't think twice about owning one.

The L87 truck engine is a distant cousin to the LT4.

Happening on LT4s too.

Yes definitely mechanical things fail, but main bearings failing this early and this often is definitely more than just bad luck.

The LT4s in the C7 Z06, ZL1, and V3 CTS-V didn’t have anywhere near this many main bearing and rod bearing failures in their entire run.

Just to clear up a few things.

The car was on its original factory oil only 5500 miles.

It is an A10 car.

I'm not overly upset about losing the engine, stuff happens.

I haven't heard yet what the time frame for when I will get the car back. The dealership gave me a loaner (XT5) so I'm not stranded just inconvenienced.

Just glad it happened close to home, not on one of my recent trips to Nashville or Charleston.

Can't wait to get it back love driving it.

Those 6.2's in the trucks (pick ups and SUV's) seem to be failing anywhere from 500 miles to as high as 25,000. Maybe I'm a scaredy cat, but I thought about buying an preowned, low mile, Yukon, Denali or Escalade, but not now. I don't want to deal with it.

On Tuesday I was driving my 24 CT5V Blackwing, and the motor shut down. It took several tries, but it restarted. About 15-20 seconds later it shut down again. Notice came up saying battery was low start engine. The engine would not start or even turn over. I could not hear the starter engaging. The radio kept playing and the dash was lit. The dash stayed lit and the radio on even with the door open. The DIC notice said the battery is low shutting down electrical systems. Over the next 3 hours slowly things turned off until I had no power whatsoever. Couldn't raise the windows or unlock the doors.

Had the car towed to Holman Cadillac in NJ, where i purchased it. Was notified today the motor is blown. Seems odd to me that the motor is blown with all the electrical problems I had but also the car only has about 5000 miles on it.

Has anyone else experienced anything like this?

How common are blown motors?

Thanks
Craig
Hey Man. I’m gonna catch shit from certain users in this thread for this but I dont care they are in denial. My 23 5BW had the motor blow in March of this year with 10k miles. I just finished commenting on a different members post about his motor blowing. I’ve had 20+ owners I’ve talked to or reach out to me about their motors blowing… It’s a thing. The dealership I took mine to said they’d had 2 blow before mine and my home dealer (service manager is a personal friend) said Cadillac is have major issues with the newer 6.2s. Escalades included. I would check lemon laws in your state. Cadillac has at least seemed willing to buy these things back from some of us. Took my engine 60+ days to come in, etc. be patient but firm.

As far as I’ve seen all are 6 speed motors with titanium rods, which differ from the A10 motors, just wondering if that’s the issue rods?
It’s not. Mine was A10 and I personally know of 11 other A10s that have blown just from here, the BW owners FB group and my dealer

Well that’s a bummer! Our 5BW A10 13,000 miles seems well, hopefully stays that way.
The issue seems to happen earlier in the miles. A few causes I’ve heard are “ debris that wasn’t cleaned out blocking oil flow “. Some of the A10s had AFM de/activation issues etc. most of it has been early mile debris/oil issues from what has been reported

Just to clear up a few things.

The car was on its original factory oil only 5500 miles.

It is an A10 car.

I'm not overly upset about losing the engine, stuff happens.

I haven't heard yet what the time frame for when I will get the car back. The dealership gave me a loaner (XT5) so I'm not stranded just inconvenienced.

Just glad it happened close to home, not on one of my recent trips to Nashville or Charleston.

Can't wait to get it back love driving it.
Factory oil and only 5500 miles shouldn’t be in the same sentence. I’m sure I go overkill with my maintenance and only time will tell if it’s worth the effort.

Factory oil and only 5500 miles shouldn’t be in the same sentence. I’m sure I go overkill with my maintenance and only time will tell if it’s worth the effort.
Unless he was driving around with the oil life monitor at 0% it's a bit ridiculous to blame him for the issue.

I don't believe there's any specific recommended break in service from GM (unlike other manufacturers who specifically do).

Win 2 Supercharged Cadillacs!

Win both supercharged Cadillac Vs!

Supporting Vendors

Exhibitions of Speed

Signature Wheels

Taput Tunning LLC

V-Series Marketplace

Advertise with the Cadillac V-Net!

Torque Shop

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom