Welcome to the Cadillac V-Series Forums!

Check engine light at 900 miles

Since this thread is still active, I'll throw in some more thoughts based on some comments above.

- You will not get priority in service just because you paid too much for your car. I'm sure there are plenty of more expensive cars already in queue.
- You get priority by being a good customer with a good relationship with dealership management. Even then, it's a crapshoot.
- Lemon laws vary between states. Be wary of giving or following advice on the Internet.
- I believe that the OP bought his/her car used, so typically (see statement above) the lemon law is not applicable.
- Parking your car in the lot isn't going to help motivate them, they don't care.

I 3rd the battery...hopefully its just a bad one and thats all it is. Quick battery swap and hopefully that clears all your issues.

California Lemon Law covers used cars as long as they are still under warranty. Why someone wouldn't want to get the ball rolling is beside me. As someone who has successfully lemoned three vehicles without the use of an attorney, it's much easier and straightforward that people think if you follow the rules and know what the law is. A 2023 car with 10 miles on it, as long as it was not purchased from an individual and is used for personal use, definitely qualifies under the State of California Lemon Law. Florida doesn't cover used vehicles, though, and all states have their own laws on the books. California and Florida are very consumer friendly. As a note, as soon as the service writer writes a ticket, the days out of service start, and it's between you and the manufacturer, not you and the dealer.

But I agree, it's not wise to follow advice on the internet because people just don't know what they are talking about.

Quick edit: upon rereading the OP's CT5-V Blackwing journey, it appears he bought it from an individual, so disregard the above. Factually accurate, but non-applicable in this case. Caveat emptor!

The car was purchased used, but from a dealership. It is currently 110+ degrees where I live, if I end up keeping the car the idea of it sitting outside for almost 30 days does not sit well with me. I suppose if I want to begin the lemon process as others have said I should just drop it off, however I really like the way this particular car is optioned. To clarify, the check engine light began flashing, then went away. However this happened 3 times the last time I drove the car, and now it is just parked in my garage.

Get a code reader and see what the faults are. I have one called blue thunder and the dongle plugs into the OBD port and uses Bluetooth to talk to the app on your phone. You can see the fault codes and also clear some of them out. Easy to use and cheap. Or you can spend more and get a more functional reader or even more and get one geared towards to auto tech would use.

California Lemon Law covers used cars as long as they are still under warranty. Why someone wouldn't want to get the ball rolling is beside me. As someone who has successfully lemoned three vehicles without the use of an attorney, it's much easier and straightforward that people think if you follow the rules and know what the law is. A 2023 car with 10 miles on it, as long as it was not purchased from an individual and is used for personal use, definitely qualifies under the State of California Lemon Law. Florida doesn't cover used vehicles, though, and all states have their own laws on the books. California and Florida are very consumer friendly. As a note, as soon as the service writer writes a ticket, the days out of service start, and it's between you and the manufacturer, not you and the dealer.

But I agree, it's not wise to follow advice on the internet because people just don't know what they are talking about.

Quick edit: upon rereading the OP's CT5-V Blackwing journey, it appears he bought it from an individual, so disregard the above. Factually accurate, but non-applicable in this case. Caveat emptor!
There’s no reason not to get a lemon law attorney in California. They are paid separately by the car manufacturer and therefore, exception no impact on your total settlement upon return of the vehicle with the exception of you acceptinga partial cash settlement for the inconvenience and keep the car

I got the car with 10 miles, respected the break in period. Had the oil changed at 850 miles. Today I opened it up a bit taking the RPM's to 5k and I could feel a bit of a shudder/lack of power above 4k and sure enough the check engine light started flashing. Ironically a few minutes later the power steering light came on and the steering wheel became noticeably stiffer, probably unrelated but strange. Called my local dealer and the soonest they can get me in is about 9 days from now. To be careful I will park it and drive something else in the meanwhile. The advisor said I can drive it just keep it at low RPM's, just not worth the risk to me. It sounds like a misfire, just hoping this isn't anything catastrophic like some of the other engine failures I have read about on the forms. Sure seems odd to happen at such low milage, having respected the break in period of keeping it below 4k rpms and changing the oil early on. Fingers crossed it is something simple to fix. Has anyone else had a similar issue on the forums to what I described? Car is a 2023 manual transmisson.
I had about 7,000 when the cluster looked like a Christmas tree all lights flashing while was on on way to a few inspections 1 1/2 away and needed something done fats, 4bw 6mt RA#8045 drove straight to dealer driveway in limp mode, it was noon when I got there and by 1 pm all fixed, they told that they connected the scanner and had to reset the whole car, I noticed all setting were different and got them to my liking. now with 13,000 on the clock no issues at all, the car is completely stock, hope this helps

There’s no reason not to get a lemon law attorney in California. They are paid separately by the car manufacturer and therefore, exception no impact on your total settlement upon return of the vehicle with the exception of you accepting a partial cash settlement for the inconvenience and keep the car
I never gave the pros vs. cons of using an attorney. All I said was that I successfully lemoned three cars without the use of an attorney. If you want to use an attorney, go ahead, but for every day you waffle on what you want to do is another day wasted. All I know is when the law states that on Day 15 that the Manufacturer (not the servicing dealer) is to be notified, they're getting a certified mailing via express mail. If I'm eligible for a buyback on day 31 (in Florida), I'm exercising my right, because I know every milestone in filing the paperwork was met. I'm not giving one extra day because that one day might make the difference between a successful Lemon claim and not.

To me, I think the dealer’s attention should be less related to the cost, and more related to the fact they’ve barely owned the car. I would have contacted my sales rep and raised hell. Then let him/her sort through the service team’s priorities on your behalf. They just made a lot of money off your purchase and it’s undrivable before you’ve even made a payment.

Finally, I would not drive it if that’s what the manual says about the lights on your dash. Regardless of what the tech said. This ensures you don’t make it worse nor have any liability for the issues.

The car was purchased used, but from a dealership. It is currently 110+ degrees where I live, if I end up keeping the car the idea of it sitting outside for almost 30 days does not sit well with me. I suppose if I want to begin the lemon process as others have said I should just drop it off, however I really like the way this particular car is optioned. To clarify, the check engine light began flashing, then went away. However this happened 3 times the last time I drove the car, and now it is just parked in my garage.
Wait....you said it had 10 miles on it when you purchased it, was it sold as a used car with 10 miles??

I never gave the pros vs. cons of using an attorney. All I said was that I successfully lemoned three cars without the use of an attorney. If you want to use an attorney, go ahead, but for every day you waffle on what you want to do is another day wasted. All I know is when the law states that on Day 15 that the Manufacturer (not the servicing dealer) is to be notified, they're getting a certified mailing via express mail. If I'm eligible for a buyback on day 31 (in Florida), I'm exercising my right, because I know every milestone in filing the paperwork was met. I'm not giving one extra day because that one day might make the difference between a successful Lemon claim and not.

Here are the codes I pulled. The car goes into the shop tomorrow.

Attachments

• IMG_8560.jpg
    IMG_8560.jpg
    170.3 KB · Views: 57
  • IMG_8561.jpg
    IMG_8561.jpg
    209.1 KB · Views: 56
great news I guess. Hopefully that didn't cause any other issues. 🤞

I have a 2017 Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited. I replaced both batteries last year in April. They were the original factory batteries. The car has a main battery and a start/stop auxiliary battery (size of a motorcycle battery). They put both batteries under the passenger front seat. It takes about a half hour to access and remove them. My car was needing to be jumped after only 2 days of sitting. I had a 3 year full warranty from Auto Zone and replaced the main battery. I 99% of the time turn off the stop/start function. I took the car to the dealer, when the car died again with a new/replaced battery. It ends up (of course) that the aux. battery was not holding a charge and it affects the main battery. Car has had no problems since. Prices are crazy to replace 2 batteries. main battery $250/ aux battery 120 1hr labor $160....total cost $530. getting access to the batteries in these cars has become a project. I can pull and replace a battery in my 1967 Cadillac in less than 5 minutes.

Win 2 Supercharged Cadillacs!

Win both supercharged Cadillac Vs!

Supporting Vendors

Exhibitions of Speed

Signature Wheels

Taput Tunning LLC

V-Series Marketplace

Advertise with the Cadillac V-Net!

Torque Shop

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom