Welcome to the Cadillac V-Series Forums!

Blown Motor

Unless he was driving around with the oil life monitor at 0% it's a bit ridiculous to blame him for the issue.

I don't believe there's any specific recommended break in service from GM (unlike other manufacturers who specifically do).
Not likely the cause, but why not change the oil sooner? $100 expense on a $100K car is nothing. There can be foreign material (e.g., silicone) in the oil from the assembly process. At around 1000 miles I like to look at the oil and run a magnet through it to see what I’m dealing with.

Unless he was driving around with the oil life monitor at 0% it's a bit ridiculous to blame him for the issue.

I don't believe there's any specific recommended break in service from GM (unlike other manufacturers who specifically do).
While there isn’t anything specific for the 5BW I believe there is a performance guide for the ZL1, which is essentially what a 5BW is. That calls for some oil changes early on along with diff fluid change. I did my engine oil at 500 & 1500 and diff fluid at 1500. Probably overkill but it’s relatively cheap and I can do it in my driveway.

There is a specified break in period. The tach shows don't go over 4K (? going from memory) for first 500 miles, and first oil change is recommended at 1,500 miles. I followed both. Got 2nd oil change recently per oil life tracker, at about 5,000 miles.

While there isn’t anything specific for the 5BW I believe there is a performance guide for the ZL1, which is essentially what a 5BW is. That calls for some oil changes early on along with diff fluid change. I did my engine oil at 500 & 1500 and diff fluid at 1500. Probably overkill but it’s relatively cheap and I can do it in my driveway.
It's not about best practices - I agree with all of you it probably should be done sooner, but for whatever reason there's no formal policy on the 5BW and regardless of what people did or didn't do, the engine shouldn't be blowing at 5500 miles.

Some people treat these cars like museum pieces. Others treat them like a normal car. Others drive the shit out of them.

In any case, the engine shouldn't blow this early and given it's an auto trans, we can rule out a money shift. I'm just not willing to blame the owner here for what was seemingly well within the range of "normal" maintenance, even if not sterling best practices.

Hm, @Rob what do you think about adding into to the Blackwing registry database where known engine failures could be logged? It would be interesting to see an actual data set e.g. range of VINs, build date etc.

Well, you can add me to the list of people with wrecked motors. 5VBW, M6 transmission.

I followed break-in for 1500 miles, did an early oil change right after reaching that milestone, now at 6500 miles the motor is ruined. It started making noise a couple weeks ago that I could faintly hear and it got worse so I scheduled a check at the dealer. They discovered metal in the oil and are waiting on response from GM. I don’t believe they tore it apart yet.

No codes, didn’t seem to run improperly or anything.

Certainly disappointed.

Well, you can add me to the list of people with wrecked motors. 5VBW, M6 transmission.

[....]

Certainly disappointed.

Really sorry to hear the ranks pf blown motors climbing !!

Best of luck.

Please keep us posted.

I followed break-in for 1500 miles, did an early oil change right after reaching that milestone, now at 6500 miles the motor is ruined. It started making noise a couple weeks ago that I could faintly hear and it got worse so I scheduled a check at the dealer. They discovered metal in the oil and are waiting on response from GM. I don’t believe they tore it apart yet.

No codes, didn’t seem to run improperly or anything.

Certainly disappointed.
Was that a 2024 MY? So sorry to hear this

A few years back, the engine builder with the initials "CS" had a number of engine failures. I don't know if it was supplied parts or assembly issues.
Has there been any attempt to cross reference failures against other builder names? My builder was Jennifer Cline, now you've got me wondering if she built any that failed.

So I got my car (2024) back without a total motor replacement. I think it’s better this way, but nervous of possible damage elsewhere in the motor.

Long story short, one of my lifters failed and caused the pushrod to get bent. They worked with GM to check for other damage and take measurements, photos, etc. Motor looked good otherwise so they replaced all the lifters on my driver side and the bent pushrod, and put it back together. Cycled through a couple oil fills and flushes and then I got it back.

The lifter problem caused my cat to go bad on that side of the motor, so I need that replaced now.

This problem is well documented in the corvette forums and with all the GM 6.2L motors in the trucks and Escalades.

I haven’t had time to deal with GM yet, but soon will be calling to figure out extra coverage and hopefully extra oil changes to flush out any residual metal in the oil. I plan on changing the oil quickly and frequently for several changes and run oil analyses on it to track the metal and particulate over time.

I have mixed feelings over it all, but I do love these cars so hoping I can just move forward with no issues and enjoy it for a long time.

I would always have that "nagging feeling" in the back of my brain , that the car is a disaster waiting to happen again. If it were me, I would trade it or sell it to someone who could never find me again. I would have demanded a new motor or else a lawsuit that could potentially cost them more than an engine.
The squeaky wheel gets the grease.

So I got my car (2024) back without a total motor replacement. I think it’s better this way, but nervous of possible damage elsewhere in the motor.

Long story short, one of my lifters failed and caused the pushrod to get bent. They worked with GM to check for other damage and take measurements, photos, etc. Motor looked good otherwise so they replaced all the lifters on my driver side and the bent pushrod, and put it back together. Cycled through a couple oil fills and flushes and then I got it back.

The lifter problem caused my cat to go bad on that side of the motor, so I need that replaced now.

This problem is well documented in the corvette forums and with all the GM 6.2L motors in the trucks and Escalades.

I haven’t had time to deal with GM yet, but soon will be calling to figure out extra coverage and hopefully extra oil changes to flush out any residual metal in the oil. I plan on changing the oil quickly and frequently for several changes and run oil analyses on it to track the metal and particulate over time.

I have mixed feelings over it all, but I do love these cars so hoping I can just move forward with no issues and enjoy it for a long time.
Thanks for the informative post and really sorry to hear about this. I dug into a number of threads about 6.2 lifter failures on the trucks and Corvettes and wow, it's been a long-standing problem it seems, and clearly something GM can't figure out. They must have 'mathed' it out and deemed the failure rate "acceptable" 🤬

If you've gotten extra coverage that's something... I haven't seen many posts referring to repeat failures after a fix?

However, one other thing I did pick up from all those other threads is that it can happen anytime, even if you've got a hundred thousand previously trouble-free miles on your motor. I will for sure be looking into an extended warranty myself.

The issue with 6.2L's you are referring too is well documented and GM knows what the problems were. The LT4's have not been identified in the recent rash of 6.2l failures. A handful LT4's seemingly have bit the dust and not nearly as many as the other RPO engine code 6.2L engines. I don't know.........

I would think a bent pushrod would also damage the rocker arm it’s working with. Sounds sketchy.

Toyota's got issues too... MSN
Yeah my dad's got one of those Tundras.

The difference is that Toyota is recalling them and is going to replace 100k motors. GM has a bottom end problem on top of the known lifter issue, with the 6.2 with numerous main bearing and rod bearing issues but chooses to ignore the problem and refuse to issue any sort of recall.

The difference is that Toyota is recalling them and is going to replace 100k motors. GM has a bottom end problem on top of the known lifter issue, with the 6.2 with numerous main bearing and rod bearing issues but chooses to ignore the problem and refuse to issue any sort of recall.
Not to mention the oil pump issues.

The bottom end issue is apparently from the cleaning process or lack there of on installation/engine build. I don't think the cleaning or journal preparations were that wide spread to warrant a recall like Toyota. I mean 100k is going to just absolutely kill any profit on that production line. YIKES!

Win 2 Supercharged Cadillacs!

Win both supercharged Cadillac Vs!

Supporting Vendors

Exhibitions of Speed

Signature Wheels

Taput Tunning LLC

V-Series Marketplace

Advertise with the Cadillac V-Net!

Torque Shop

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom