Welcome to the Cadillac V-Series Forums!

CT5-V 2023 Blackwing tow truck driver forgot parking brake = 😢

CT5-V Model
Sorry this happened. Unfortunately that's the big risk you take with heavy engine mods.

I don't worry about the EVs... Just the fact that the BW is RWD makes it hard to keep up - why bother and more importantly, who cares? I'd rather drive a fun 5sec 0-60 V8 than a 2sec EV.
Around town my 30 year old 5 second MR2 Turbo is more fun than my 3.5 second Caddy.
The Caddy has so much power that it gets you in trouble too fast for it to be fun just tootling around in the city. (Though I make up for that more than a little by putting the exhaust in track mode and leaving all the windows down to hear it.)

Last edited:
Where did I complain? I'm sharing my journey, did not complain, ask for warranty, or anything of the sort. I was fully aware of the risk going into the mods.

I could be wrong and the bottom end may be fine (I hope) and it could be something else.

Whatever it is, I'll post it here.

Yes, some of us don't have very good reading comprehension. I think you've been quite mature and level-headed about all of this so far, including the moron tow truck driver. I would have hit the roof.

I'd like to make two points mildly related to other comments in this thread:

1. I once street raced some ricer Honda in one of my previous cars (possibly my Z06). He cleaned my clock. Probably had a bottle on it, doesn't matter, I learned my lesson. There's always someone faster.

2. One of my guys here at work is a Tesla fan, and his Dad has a plaid. He borrowed it and drove it to work and I went for a ride. I've been in some fast cars, I've ridden on rollercoasters and flown in jet airplanes. This is a different category of fast. It's ridiculous to the point of insanity. You get going so fast, so quickly, that the brain can't quite keep up with it, and I have no doubt that many people will end up severely injured or dead d/t uncontrollable speed. It's also without noise or drama, and there's nothing fun about it compared to something loud and brutal like a Viper or dare I say, a Blackwing... ;)

I'm worried that I may have just blown my engine.

2023 BlackWing with 10,450 miles. Just a week out from a bunch of engine mods (ported heads, ported blower, cam, port injection, E-85 tune, heat exchangers, headers, etc).

Dyno'd 850whp which should be pretty safe (I've seen others make quite a bit more).

Was driving fine and then right as I get home it starts rough idling and barely had enough power to pull into driveway.

I get out, it smells like oil. I tried starting it, turns over but no start.

No check engine light when it happened.

Seeing so many engine failures on this forum, I'm expecting catastrophic failure (bearings?) and because it's modded, I'm gonna be paying heavily for it 😅

I'll post updates once my shop takes it apart and we figure out what happened.

After 10 years with EV's, I feel like a dummy for going back to an ICE. A used plaid for half the cost of the car and mods would be way faster and more reliable, practical, and economic. Too bad nothing matches the manual V8 feel.

Anyone wanna buy a BW?

View attachment 27775

If you blew the engine, perfect excuse to go balls to the wall and fully build out the engine.

In all seriousness, if 0-60 times are what are important to you and you don't want to feel like you're driving a laptop then you have go with a premium EV. Have you considered a Taycan or a Lucid Sapphire?
It's funny isn't it - in a world where Tesla never existed, the Blackwing would be in the running for the absolute top dog sedan, next to the M5 CS. The performance argument is over - on most road course the Lucid Sapphire, Taycan Turbo GT and Tesla Plaid will smash a Blackwing (unless it's an endurance race). ICE cars are primarily about driving experience now. It was the whole premise of that famous Icons video.

That being said I guess modding your engine for more power is also an experience people have always enjoyed with ICE cars, so who is to judge?

Last edited:
youre being way calmer about this than i or most others would be. good luck, really hope its unrelated to the mods tho the timing seems to point to it

Yes, some of us don't have very good reading comprehension. I think you've been quite mature and level-headed about all of this so far, including the moron tow truck driver. I would have hit the roof.

I'd like to make two points mildly related to other comments in this thread:

1. I once street raced some ricer Honda in one of my previous cars (possibly my Z06). He cleaned my clock. Probably had a bottle on it, doesn't matter, I learned my lesson. There's always someone faster.

2. One of my guys here at work is a Tesla fan, and his Dad has a plaid. He borrowed it and drove it to work and I went for a ride. I've been in some fast cars, I've ridden on rollercoasters and flown in jet airplanes. This is a different category of fast. It's ridiculous to the point of insanity. You get going so fast, so quickly, that the brain can't quite keep up with it, and I have no doubt that many people will end up severely injured or dead d/t uncontrollable speed. It's also without noise or drama, and there's nothing fun about it compared to something loud and brutal like a Viper or dare I say, a Blackwing... ;)
I bought the BlackWing because I daily drove a viper for many years in 06-2010. I got the blackwing because it was so similar yet as luxurious as some mercedes I had, perfect blend of fun and comfort.

Attachments

• 2020-04-30.jpg
    2020-04-30.jpg
    47.1 KB · Views: 12
I'm worried that I may have just blown my engine.

2023 BlackWing with 10,450 miles. Just a week out from a bunch of engine mods (ported heads, ported blower, cam, port injection, E-85 tune, heat exchangers, headers, etc).

Dyno'd 850whp which should be pretty safe (I've seen others make quite a bit more).

Was driving fine and then right as I get home it starts rough idling and barely had enough power to pull into driveway.

I get out, it smells like oil. I tried starting it, turns over but no start.

No check engine light when it happened.

Seeing so many engine failures on this forum, I'm expecting catastrophic failure (bearings?) and because it's modded, I'm gonna be paying heavily for it 😅

I'll post updates once my shop takes it apart and we figure out what happened.

After 10 years with EV's, I feel like a dummy for going back to an ICE. A used plaid for half the cost of the car and mods would be way faster and more reliable, practical, and economic. Too bad nothing matches the manual V8 feel.

Anyone wanna buy a BW?

View attachment 27775
Hopefully a reputable builder that offers to stand behind their work. Lots of shops offer at least a 1,000 mile warranty.

Someone on this website or another once said.... Having a performance EV is like listening to a Jimi Hendrix concert on mute. That stuck in my head for a while, and I can guess most car people will agree. It's all about experience now of an ICE.

Kudos to the OP for not giving the Tow Truck driver a knuckle sandwich.

Someone on this website or another once said.... Having a performance EV is like listening to a Jimi Hendrix concert on mute. That stuck in my head for a while, and I can guess most car people will agree. It's all about experience now of an ICE.

I like to say this: "You can eat a filet mignon cooked in a microwave. It's faster, cleaner and more efficient, but I'd rather cook mine on a grill."

I grew up dirt poor and recall waiting in the ration lines waiting for food in late stage communist Eastern Europe. Somehow I've managed to work my way up to a comfortable living where I can afford to buy a BW (and dump $30k in mods) just because I like how it feels.

I recognize my privilege and also know what it feels like to fight for scraps. That tow truck driver is probably making $25 an hour in a state where you need to make at least $150k a year to feel secure.

Mistakes and accidents happen due to overwork, stress, rushing, anxiety, etc... I couldn't live with myself if I was a hypocrite and ended up not using my experiences and empathy to understand all of this and treat him how I would like to be treated if I made a mistake under the same circumstances.

Ultimately this is why business, towing, and personal insurance exists. I hope his employer doesn't fire him, but I've already filed a damage claim with them. If they aren't able to make it right, I've got small claims court and my own personal insurance I can use too. Life happens, but the timing is wild this time!

I grew up dirt poor and recall waiting in the ration lines waiting for food in late stage communist Eastern Europe. Somehow I've managed to work my way up to a comfortable living where I can afford to buy a BW (and dump $30k in mods) just because I like how it feels.

I recognize my privilege and also know what it feels like to fight for scraps. That tow truck driver is probably making $25 an hour in a state where you need to make at least $150k a year to feel secure.

Mistakes and accidents happen due to overwork, stress, rushing, anxiety, etc... I couldn't live with myself if I was a hypocrite and ended up not using my experiences and empathy to understand all of this and treat him how I would like to be treated if I made a mistake under the same circumstances.

Ultimately this is why business, towing, and personal insurance exists. I hope his employer doesn't fire him, but I've already filed a damage claim with them. If they aren't able to make it right, I've got small claims court and my own personal insurance I can use too. Life happens, but the timing is wild this time!

Post of the year on here 🏆

The mods you list are cam (I assume a 32 or 38% fuel lobe), port injection, and E85. Did you do any mods to the low-side fuel pump?

Win 2 Supercharged Cadillacs!

Win both supercharged Cadillac Vs!

Supporting Vendors

Exhibitions of Speed

Signature Wheels

Taput Tunning LLC

V-Series Marketplace

Advertise with the Cadillac V-Net!

Torque Shop

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom