Welcome to the Cadillac V-Series Forums!

Blown Motor

V-Series Cadillac(s)?
2024 Blackwing
On Tuesday I was driving my 24 CT5V Blackwing, and the motor shut down. It took several tries, but it restarted. About 15-20 seconds later it shut down again. Notice came up saying battery was low start engine. The engine would not start or even turn over. I could not hear the starter engaging. The radio kept playing and the dash was lit. The dash stayed lit and the radio on even with the door open. The DIC notice said the battery is low shutting down electrical systems. Over the next 3 hours slowly things turned off until I had no power whatsoever. Couldn't raise the windows or unlock the doors.

Had the car towed to Holman Cadillac in NJ, where i purchased it. Was notified today the motor is blown. Seems odd to me that the motor is blown with all the electrical problems I had but also the car only has about 5000 miles on it.

Has anyone else experienced anything like this?

How common are blown motors?

Thanks
Craig

You are definitely not the first person to have a blown 5BW motor. Notably the long term demo car that Car & Driver had blew its motor. And there are a few more floating around on here I believe.

The symptoms you dexcribe certainly sound more electrical than mechanical. So no ugly sounds of metal on metal or anything when it was running?

The symptoms you dexcribe certainly sound more electrical than mechanical. So no ugly sounds of metal on metal or anything when it was running?
No metal grinding sounds. Talked to service manager today he said engine is seized.
Dubious first post, I say.
Why dubious? This happened as I explained to the best of my ability.

It's really not unreasonable for someone to seek answers on a forum when they have a problem.
I don’t know the exact percentage of LT4 blown motors, but it seems high enough to be a concern.

No metal grinding sounds. Talked to service manager today he said engine is seized.

Why dubious? This happened as I explained to the best of my ability.
jbawden can speak on their own behalf, but FWIW I interpreted "dubious" as "unfortunate." As in: sucks that your first post here is about a blown engine, not how much you enjoy the car.

Please reply back once you have a diagnosis.

I don’t know the exact percentage of LT4 blown motors, but it seems high enough to be a concern.

Just based purely off the factual number of 5 BWs produced (ignoring all other LT4 variants) and the 'factual' number of blown motors, a very safe bet would be around 1%. This is assuming 30 or so blown motors (somewhere around 10-15 having been public such as motortrend, forum posts, etc)

Side note, thanks Google AI! There's only around 100 or so Blackwings, pushing the failure rate signficantly higher (edit: the "thanks" was sarcasm btw. Clearly this is wrong)
1719610137496.png

Last edited:
Just based purely off the factual number of 5 BWs produced (ignoring all other LT4 variants) and the 'factual' number of blown motors, a very safe bet would be around 1%. This is assuming 30 or so blown motors (somewhere around 10-15 having been public such as motortrend, forum posts, etc)

Side note, thanks Google AI! There's only around 100 or so Blackwings, pushing the failure rate signficantly higher
View attachment 26561
Except that's completely wrong...typical for AI.

1,664 5 BWs built for 2022 model year per this very site.

A few years back, the engine builder with the initials "CS" had a number of engine failures. I don't know if it was supplied parts or assembly issues.

As far as I’ve seen all are 6 speed motors with titanium rods, which differ from the A10 motors, just wondering if that’s the issue rods?

As far as I’ve seen all are 6 speed motors with titanium rods, which differ from the A10 motors, just wondering if that’s the issue rods?
That's for the V6, its the V8s that are blowing. There is definitely some sort of new issue with the 6.2 beyond just the blackwing. Escalades are blowing 6.2s enough to be a concern too.

I wonder if GM will recall them like Toyota did with the 3.4TT motor

On Tuesday I was driving my 24 CT5V Blackwing, and the motor shut down. It took several tries, but it restarted. About 15-20 seconds later it shut down again. Notice came up saying battery was low start engine. The engine would not start or even turn over. I could not hear the starter engaging. The radio kept playing and the dash was lit. The dash stayed lit and the radio on even with the door open. The DIC notice said the battery is low shutting down electrical systems. Over the next 3 hours slowly things turned off until I had no power whatsoever. Couldn't raise the windows or unlock the doors.

Had the car towed to Holman Cadillac in NJ, where i purchased it. Was notified today the motor is blown. Seems odd to me that the motor is blown with all the electrical problems I had but also the car only has about 5000 miles on it.

Has anyone else experienced anything like this?

How common are blown motors?

Thanks
Craig

You can't post about a motor failure without noting who built it! You know, the name right on it. Yes, we're aware it's almost certainly not that person's fault, but we need *something* to speculate about!

I’m really curious to see the rod bearings and main bearings on these blown motors.

These lt4’s seem to have oiling issues.

What oil was in the car? About how many miles on that oil? What were the air temps in your area?

Win 2 Supercharged Cadillacs!

Win both supercharged Cadillac Vs!

Supporting Vendors

Exhibitions of Speed

Signature Wheels

Taput Tunning LLC

V-Series Marketplace

Advertise with the Cadillac V-Net!

Torque Shop

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom