Welcome to the Cadillac V-Series Forums!

CT4-V blackwing vs cayman gts 4.0 vs z06

savethemanual

Seasoned Member
V-Series Cadillac(s)?
2023 CT4 V blackwing
Currently own a manual ct4-v blackwing but local dealer is willing to put me on a list for a msrp cayman gts 4.0 pdk

Pros for blackwing -
* Manual
* 4 doors - kid can ride in it
* Cheap to maintain and extended warranty is cheap
* paid for

Pros for 718 cayman gts 4.0
* pdk means wife can drive it too
* Way more special engine, NA, high revving
* It’s a Porsche- always wanted one
* Might hold value better long term and it’s also the last year of the gas cayman.

I can afford to get the cayman but wondering if it’s worth it. Use case is mostly weekend spirited driving, wouldn’t see the track. Is the cayman worth another 60k usd over the blackwing?

Another option is a z06 but the msrp waitlist for that is a 1000 person deep. It has all of the pros of the cayman but without the Porsche maintenance tax. I do like the size and weight of the cayman more though.

Last edited:
personally i wouldnt do that trade. i dont think the cayman is all that special especially if i'm giving up a manual
the z06 is in another league. if thats a real option i would give up a kidney along with the ct4 for one

For purely spirited canyon driving the Cayman is in a completely different class. If you have an allocation for a build though I would strongly consider the manual. The six speed is sweet and it adds a level of engagement to the car that you will miss coming from a manual BW.

personally i wouldnt do that trade. i dont think the cayman is all that special especially if i'm giving up a manual
the z06 is in another league. if thats a real option i would give up a kidney along with the ct4 for one
The z06 is tempting. It’s clearly going to be more capable and that engine is 😍 but I just don’t like the size and the rear end.

For purely spirited canyon driving the Cayman is in a completely different class. If you have an allocation for a build though I would strongly consider the manual. The six speed is sweet and it adds a level of engagement to the car that you will miss coming from a manual BW.
Hmmm, different league compared to the blackwing or the z06?

The other reason for pdk on the Porsche is I don’t like the gearing on the manual cayman. It’s way too long.

If you can genuinely afford it, then I would remove "is it worth $60k more" part of the decision tree. I could afford the 5BW, so the $$ and performance delta between the 4 and the 5 was never part of my process, I just knew the 5 was more special and interesting to my ideals.

I'm just not a Corvette person, so I'm already a hard pass on that option. I also think the Cayman is a very good looking rig that has a slightly more subtle street presence (which I prefer).

At the end of the day, I wouldn't give up the manual. The Cayman can be had with one, which combined with your use case is going to be a resale winner. If you're in this to satisfy some intangible wants, then I would recommend that you keep looking for a manual 718.

Ha ha. Funny but on a serious note yeah, want my wife to be able to experience my cars. Also would help with consolidation, otherwise need an automatic fun car in the stable too.
I would teach her how to drive a manual and expose her to a new world of automotive engagement awesomeness.

Ha ha. Funny but on a serious note yeah, want my wife to be able to experience my cars. Also would help with consolidation, otherwise need an automatic fun car in the stable too.

Doesn't your wife already rock an RS3?

If you get a Cayman GTS 4.0 it would be criminal insanity to option the PDK over the manual.

If you care about holding value down the like like you said, the 6 speed 4.0 cars are going to hold value head and shoulders above the PDK cars. The entire point of the NA flat 6 718s is the experience, since the turbo 4s have very similar performance. Getting the PDK on a 4.0 GTS is like ordering the best steak at the steak house and then drowning it in cheap mustard. Or like scoring a night with a supermodel, but turning off all the lights.

Last edited:
Just did a search and it looks like (no idea if dealers are playing game with listings) hundreds of Z06s on Autotrader st or maybe below MSRP. Market has really slowed for 6 figure cars these days.

If you're canyon carving, there no substitute for light weight 718. Else, get the Z06.

I wouldn't take a 4.0 with a PDK, you will regret giving up the manual. I'd sooner teach the wife stick so she can drive it then buy a PDK.

C8 Z06s have shorter lists then you might think, the market has come down. I'd take a 1LZ Z06 over a manual 4.0.

For all those saying manual 718 gts(and that’s most of you) have you driven one?
The gears are super long- you can be at 2nd all day and never go beyond that at legal-ish speeds.

Never expected someone with a name like "savethemanual" to, well, not save the manual.

When you sell your manual blackwing for an autotragic cayman, will you change your name to "didn’tsavethemanual"?

And honestly since our forum shrink Zoomie seems to be MIA, I think I gotta step up to the role. I don't got a degree in psych, but I sure got a degree in crazy. It seems like there is alot of consideration of what your wife wants. Honestly unless she pays the bills, I've always found that listening to your wife when it comes to purchases for yourself is a recipe for regret.

Forget what your wife wants completely for a moment, what do you want?

Last edited:
I think I should rename myself to manual traitor

That does bring up a good point.

When the last manual vehicle draws its last breath, its extinction would not be the fault of the masses, or the car companies, it will be soley the fault of us, the so called die hard car enthusiast finally chosing practicality and convenience over passion and devotion. For despite the supposed demise of the manual for some years now, the standard transmission has cling onto life, and even thrived in some of the best driving cars in existence today. The Blackwings, Porsche 911 and 718, Civic Type R/Integra Type S, FRS/BRZ twins, Emira, and of course the Miata, all represent the pinnacle of driving enjoyment and they can still be had with a manual.

As long as we keep buying them, the manual is anything but dead, but we enthusiasts really are the last guard for their future existence.

Win 2 Supercharged Cadillacs!

Win both supercharged Cadillac Vs!

Supporting Vendors

Exhibitions of Speed

Signature Wheels

Taput Tunning LLC

V-Series Marketplace

Advertise with the Cadillac V-Net!

Torque Shop

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom