Welcome to the Cadillac V-Series Forums!

CT4-V blackwing vs cayman gts 4.0 vs z06

Even if you gave me 5 million dollars to buy a vehicle, I can't come up with a car I'd rather be driving.
I've said this exact line 17 times since owning this car. I mean, if I hit the lotto I'd have quite the stable including a GT3 RS, but I'm confident I'd still rather be driving my BW.

I ain't rich like most of you guys here, but I will say the 5BW is the first time in my life where I don’t feel at all like that guy in the video when it comes to a purchase.

Even if you gave me 5 million dollars to buy a vehicle, I can't come up with a car I'd rather be driving. Mostly because the 5BW is the most powerful, fastest, highest performing manual sedan the world has ever seen, full stop.

I can be rolling past a Mclaren or a Ferrari or Porsche GT3 RS on the highway, and I'll think "nice car", but I dont think "man I'd rather be in that instead."

The reason for that is usually grinning at me in her rear facing car seat through her mirror and my mirror, and she yells "Pow!!" and giggles every time I downshift and the rev match stabs the throttle. In a few months I'll be installing a 2nd rear facing car seat for my 2nd.

I may not be rich, but with the LT4 bubbling away, and the taut yet supple alpha chassis allowing my pregnant wife to nap in the passenger seat, and my daughter calling for another arbitrary downshit so she can sing along with the engine, I can't help but feel like a billionaire.
damn if that doesnt bring a tear to your eye reading that story you got no heart
congrats on the upcoming newborn!

I ain't rich like most of you guys here, but I will say the 5BW is the first time in my life where I don’t feel at all like that guy in the video when it comes to a purchase.

Even if you gave me 5 million dollars to buy a vehicle, I can't come up with a car I'd rather be driving. Mostly because the 5BW is the most powerful, fastest, highest performing manual sedan the world has ever seen, full stop.

I can be rolling past a Mclaren or a Ferrari or Porsche GT3 RS on the highway, and I'll think "nice car", but I dont think "man I'd rather be in that instead."

The reason for that is usually grinning at me in her rear facing car seat through her mirror and my mirror, and she yells "Pow!!" and giggles every time I downshift and the rev match stabs the throttle. In a few months I'll be installing a 2nd rear facing car seat for my 2nd.

I may not be rich, but with the LT4 bubbling away, and the taut yet supple alpha chassis allowing my pregnant wife to nap in the passenger seat, and my daughter calling for another arbitrary downshit so she can sing along with the engine, I can't help but feel like a billionaire.
No monetary value in what you describe. Priceless.

No surprise we're all huge fans of the 5BW. As @565565 so eloquently put it.............

I caught this thread late, but I am still in shock that @savethemanual is waffling on which transmission to get. My list started and ended with 3 pedal machines. That unfortunately eliminates the amazing C8, but 3 pedals are a must have.

I can't imagine you could go wrong with the 4L NA Cayman..............its been the darling of the press since they brought it back after going turbo 4 cyl in the lesser variants. But the 5BW is still much cheaper isn't it ?

Here is an opinion from an owner of a cayman 987.2 for 10+years. It may not go over well with many of you. Ive had a dozen track days in it. It’s a great canyon carver. I added the OEM GT3 997.2 shifter linkage and assembly and it’s nowhere near as good as the tremec or a CTR/S2k. They haven’t improved the linkage much at all. The brakes are fantastic and it’s a well built car, even if it’s made in Finland.

The Cayman is the true drivers car over a 911. It has never and will never get the respect it deserves, as the superior chassis to the 911 (it has natural talent and balance whereas the 911 is handicapped by comparison).

It’s genuinely a better car but so much technology and engineering is spent on the 911 to make it slightly better than a cayman. It’s ridiculous IMO but that’s why they cost more, and that’s why many people choose the 911 over a Cayman.

The 981 and older are great drivers cars because it’s one of the last analog Porsche designs. Everything else has been software engineered designed to allow the vehicle to outpace its predecessors. I’ve driven a 991.2 S on track and it felt overly complex, and modern to the point which I felt I wasn’t in control of the vehicle, the software was.

If money was no object, i wouldn’t bother with a modern Porsche, it’s not any different than any other modern vehicle. And everyone else who mentioned the gearing is way too tall to have any sort of fun on a backroad is correct. Porsche is completely missing the point as time goes on (I.e. 2025 911 hybrid pdk) If they aren’t careful, they may end up like bmw. They honestly don’t care, they are too busy counting money.

Neveready - what a great post and great advice - true enthusiasts should take what you say here to heart.

I've never driven a Porsche - but have been a passenger in a few. I've long been aware of the natural driving superiority of the Caymens over the 911 platform and its the only Porsche I've ever really desired (OK Boxster too....). Its a shame that they - like BMW and others - are getting away from the visceral elements of driving that made these cars more special than others and that excite enthusiast like us. But heh - what most folks seem to want are self driving cars...Our purchasing a Blackwing was kind of a panic buy on my part....(wife nixed getting another used car and wouldn't let me buy a Caymen either....what I really wanted more)...at least we have that now (the BW....not the Caymen) and also plan to keep some of our older cars....so I'm good. maybe I'll pick up a used Miata at some point down the road...

Last edited:
For the ex Porsche owners cayman boxster folks specially, how much essence of the Porsche does the ct4 blackwing capture? Let’s say a manual ct4 blackwing vs a 6 cylinder manual or automatic cayman/boxster.

For the ex Porsche owners cayman boxster folks specially, how much essence of the Porsche does the ct4 blackwing capture? Let’s say a manual ct4 blackwing vs a 6 cylinder manual or automatic cayman/boxster.
Again - never owned or even driven any Porsche....but I have stayed at a Holiday Inn....seriously though I do feel I somewhat understand the experience to a degree as I have owned and (enthusiastically) driven a mid-engined supercharged MT Toyota MR2 for many years.

For the most part - other then perhaps a nod to handling precision - I don't see the CT 4 V BW & a Caymen/Boxster (at least before the newest models) at all alike in any real way. For me - a mostly small car guy for the majority of my time - the CT 4 is a huge beast, OK its nimble and fast - and is a fantastic MT experience - but any comparison to a mid-engined - small and light Caymen/Boxster ends there - totally different animals. The dynamics of driving a mid-engine car alone are totally different and with a Caymen - much like my old MR2 - I feel that it is a sitting tight down to the road experience where in the BW you're more inside a larger car somewhat isolated from the road (if that makes sense)...

I'm also someone who has come into the BW from the past. Other then rental cars and loaners my most recent car driving experience is our 2012 GTI. To me the BW reeks of modern car - for better or worse. My impression of (at least prior gen) Caymen/Boxster is much more visceral and old school. I really feel all the electronic intervention in the BW and I would not expect such in a (proper) Porsche (of any kind). Just my take anyway....

Last edited:
Yes, I had a 991.2 C4S manual with PdCC and RAS, and sports suspension….top notch build but it was a bit boring to drive, just not thrilling. I’ve not driven a 992, but I’ve read it’s also going in that direction. GT3 is a totally different animal though. Do not get a 991.1 GT3 unless it’s got the G engine in it.

Yes, I had a 991.2 C4S manual with PdCC and RAS, and sports suspension….top notch build but it was a bit boring to drive, just not thrilling. I’ve not driven a 992, but I’ve read it’s also going in that direction. GT3 is a totally different animal though. Do not get a 991.1 GT3 unless it’s got the G engine in it.
Such a shame....maybe the answer is (and always will be) Miata....lol

The 992 GT3 is a game changer over the Cayman/Boxster platform though due to the double wishbone front suspension. Once you figure out how to drive a 911 with the rear-weight bias, it is exceptionally capable. Not taking anything away from the mid-engine Boxster/Cayman as it's a top-notch handling machine too, but 992 GT3 is next level.

A buddy (who also has a Blackwing and is on here) drove a GT4RS and 992 GT3 at the Porsche center in LA and determined the handling superiority is significant for the 992 GT3 on track.

compared to my 911TT the the ct4 is better car. this was a 997.1 so older generation but the turbo lag was so bad it ruined the driving experience of that porsche. i sold it fairly immediately.

I don't have 4BW experience, but with the 5BW, even after a couple of years, the car still feels special in 'normal' day-to-day driving - just by giving the accelerator a squeeze. You feel the latent potential all the time. Not to mention the relative rarity.

Here's what I'll say about modern Porsches - after you get over the gee-whiz of the looks and the engine placement, unless you have a GT engine, they aren't very exciting to drive around as a daily driver (i.e. freeways, quick blast on to the onramp, taking the occasional curve below <0.7g lateral). Depending on where you live, they can also attract the wrong kind of attention. However, modern Porshces really come alive when you are thrashing them up in the rev range and really going for it on a technical twisty road. They're magic and I've had some of the best drives of my life in them.

My ideal (and existing) garage would be a Porsche for track and canyons and a BW for daily duties and 'grand touring'. If there's any way to have both you'll be delighted.

Well, I've got a CT5, not a 4, so I can't really compare. I have had the 981 Boxster S, arguably the best platform. The philosophy of pre-VW Porsche is there, as is the GM influence on the Caddy. No "essence" of the Porsche carries over to the domestic platform, they are apples and oranges.

Which fruit do you prefer?

And they're different cars with different target audiences, one is a little coupe and the other is a mid-sized sedan. The Cadillac is trying to be an M3 and the Porsche is trying to be a... Porsche. ;)

There's always a M7 C7 Z06!
Longest car I've ever owned, I loved mine and I probably shouldn't have sold it, one of my biggest car regrets. I will be buying another, problem is I'm picky and I can't find the one I want.

Or maybe these manufacturers need to make another 2 seater front engine V8 RWD manual. Its ridiculous these don't exist anymore.

Longest car I've ever owned, I loved mine and I probably shouldn't have sold it, one of my biggest car regrets. I will be buying another, problem is I'm picky and I can't find the one I want.

Or maybe these manufacturers need to make another 2 seater front engine V8 RWD manual. Its ridiculous these don't exist anymore.
Mine's an A8 but I have no intention of selling it until I can no longer drive. For sentimental reasons, I wanted a C7 more than a C8, plus the equivalently-equipped C8 Z06 is $40K more than my C7 was.

I can't get over a C7 auto, that transmission ruins the car. I'd rather own a C8 and just throw a Borla on it.

I can't get over a C7 auto, that transmission ruins the car. I'd rather own a C8 and just throw a Borla on it.
I wanted a M7 but my knees turned out to be incompatible. Now that the fluid issues have been worked out, the A8 isn't bad.

Win 2 Supercharged Cadillacs!

Win both supercharged Cadillac Vs!

Supporting Vendors

Exhibitions of Speed

Signature Wheels

Taput Tunning LLC

V-Series Marketplace

Advertise with the Cadillac V-Net!

Torque Shop

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom