Welcome to the Cadillac V-Series Forums!

Track rats rejoice!

Seems kind of silly to use them. No one gets a CT5 BW primarily as a track car. They're not good street tires and they're basically just hero lap tires on the track. They can't go 3-4 laps on much lighter and less powerful GT3's before getting greasy. I doubt they'd do 2 on a BW.

They will certainly make terrible street tires. Even at full tread, they would be terrible in the rain. And they will kick up rocks wherever you go if it is dry. I will certainly be buying a second set of rims to run street tires around town.

I wonder if there will be a Cadillac-spec version of the tires. With the regular Cup 2 tires, I have found the Porsche (NO) and Ford Performance (FP) spec tires last about twice as long at the track. Little less overall grip, but much longer lasting. I am willing to make that trade. I am not a professional driver who gets paid for winning.

They will certainly make terrible street tires. Even at full tread, they would be terrible in the rain. And they will kick up rocks wherever you go if it is dry. I will certainly be buying a second set of rims to run street tires around town.

I wonder if there will be a Cadillac-spec version of the tires. With the regular Cup 2 tires, I have found the Porsche (NO) and Ford Performance (FP) spec tires last about twice as long at the track. Little less overall grip, but much longer lasting. I am willing to make that trade. I am not a professional driver who gets paid for winning.
The articles that came out when they announced the precision package said they used an off the shelf 2R and not a bespoke TPC spec.

It was a "promised" option when the 5BW came out.
But never an an actual option (with an RPO code) that one could theoretically order.

I get (and share) the frustration over unobtainium options (e.g. carbon fiber) but are there really any options ever published in the Cadillac options guide/printbook that have never appeared in built vehicles?

I believe the availability of the the V8V package is totally and completely dependent on Michelin's ability to produce cup 2 R tires in the required sizes. (I say this as a C6 Z06 owner who once had to park his car for six months waiting for Michelin to produce a batch of Pilot Sport PS2 ZP tires to replace my fronts which had cords showing...)

But never an an actual option (with an RPO code) that one could theoretically order.

I get (and share) the frustration over unobtainium options (e.g. carbon fiber) but are there really any options ever published in the Cadillac options guide/printbook that have never appeared in built vehicles?

I believe the availability of the the V8V package is totally and completely dependent on Michelin's ability to produce cup 2 R tires in the required sizes. (I say this as a C6 Z06 owner who once had to park his car for six months waiting for Michelin to produce a batch of Pilot Sport PS2 ZP tires to replace my fronts which had cords showing...)
There have been options that were available in the order guide that showed up in 'zero' cars for a particular model year.

There have been periodic shortages of the TPC PS4S since the Blackwing production started.

I'm sure the V8V package will be avail with the Cup2R's. I would just bet it's late in the MY production.

They don't show up in TR's database, but they do on the Michelin website.

I bet the precision package will come with the PS4S as standard with Cup 2 Rs as a no cost option.

It will be the same as BMW does with their CS and CSL cars. CSL had the cup 2 Rs as an option but you could also get the PS4S tires. M5 CS came with both PS4S or Trofeo as the aggressive option. I believe there was no cost difference.

Cup 2 Rs on this car will be purely for bragging rights and claiming lap time records, winning comparison tests.

The M5 CS supposedly was greatly improved with the Trofeo tires and I imagine the precision pack 5BW will be the same way, the biggest improvement of the package will come with the tires. The precision suspension will be tuned to exploit the extra grip of the Cup 2Rs, without them objective measures may be largely similar.

I daily drive the 5BW in all weather but snow. It's already sketchy in heavy downpours. Can't imagine commuting with Cup 2 Rs.

Yes. Just this year. (RSN) 18" Magnesium wheel with Satin Graphite finish was listed as a CT4V BW option and now has been removed.

There have been options that were available in the order guide that showed up in 'zero' cars for a particular model year.

There have been periodic shortages of the TPC PS4S since the Blackwing production started.

I'm sure the V8V package will be avail with the Cup2R's. I would just bet it's late in the MY production.

They don't show up in TR's database, but they do on the Michelin website.

Interesting that the 305 shows up as "Latest Innovation" on the Michelin website (which I assumes means "new"). But all three of the 285 tires are Mercedes/AMG branded (MO1/MO1A/MO2). They will also need to add a non-AMG 285 tire unless GM specifies one of the existing MO tires for use with the V8V package.

I bet the precision package will come with the PS4S as standard with Cup 2 Rs as a no cost option.

It will be the same as BMW does with their CS and CSL cars. CSL had the cup 2 Rs as an option but you could also get the PS4S tires. M5 CS came with both PS4S or Trofeo as the aggressive option. I believe there was no cost difference.

Cup 2 Rs on this car will be purely for bragging rights and claiming lap time records, winning comparison tests.

The M5 CS supposedly was greatly improved with the Trofeo tires and I imagine the precision pack 5BW will be the same way, the biggest improvement of the package will come with the tires. The precision suspension will be tuned to exploit the extra grip of the Cup 2Rs, without them objective measures may be largely similar.

I daily drive the 5BW in all weather but snow. It's already sketchy in heavy downpours. Can't imagine commuting with Cup 2 Rs.
I’m skeptical GM will offer the package with anything but the 2R tires. People have been begging for the Corvette Z07 package with the non-Cup tires for the past two generations. GM has always stood by the fact that the suspension, diff, PTM were calibrated for that tire only and it wasn’t safe to sell it with another tire.

Win 2 Supercharged Cadillacs!

Win both supercharged Cadillac Vs!

Supporting Vendors

Exhibitions of Speed

Signature Wheels

Taput Tunning LLC

V-Series Marketplace

Advertise with the Cadillac V-Net!

Torque Shop

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom