Welcome to the Cadillac V-Series Forums!

2025 Fat A** BMW M5

882lbs from the battery and I’m guessing the rest is from the increased size as the car got bigger.

From Car and Driver “the M5 has grown 1.2 inches longer overall, 2.7 inches wider, and 2.1 inches taller. Its wheelbase is also stretched by 0.9 inch.”

jurassic park film GIF

As great performing high HP these new cars are (including vanilla EVs) - these new huge/heavy cars have very little appeal for me. We'll have our (still a bit too heavy....but what can you do) CT 4 V BW for a long time to come - and it is a truly great car - particularly for a modern car.

In the past many BMWs were exciting for me. I particularly liked the (smaller) 2 series cars. M3s haven't done it for me since the E90 (and even then too heavy)...and while 5 series cars have often been notable...and very good cars....I've never desired one.

And this is probably the very tail end of an era for ICE cars....such a shame....wouldn't it be something if we could witness the evolution of these V cars by Cadillac....and so many other fun sports cars, coups and sedans from a number of carmakers that will never be.

Grab your Elantra N while you can! LOL

As great performing high HP these new cars are (including vanilla EVs) - these new huge/heavy cars have very little appeal for me. We'll have our (still a bit too heavy....but what can you do) CT 4 V BW for a long time to come - and it is a truly great car - particularly for a modern car.

In the past many BMWs were exciting for me. I particularly liked the (smaller) 2 series cars. M3s haven't done it for me since the E90 (and even then too heavy)...and while 5 series cars have often been notable...and very good cars....I've never desired one.

And this is probably the very tail end of an era for ICE cars....such a shame....wouldn't it be something if we could witness the evolution of these V cars by Cadillac....and so many other fun sports cars, coups and sedans from a number of carmakers that will never be.

Grab your Elantra N while you can! LOL
Came here from a Veloster N, and can confirm it's the small, joyful car that BMW no longer knows how to build. Thanks, Albert B!

Along with my emails from Cadillac wanting me to buy the newer year BW or SUV, I get ads from Chevrolet wanting me to buy a Corvette. This thread got me interested in seeing the weight difference of the Corvette E-Ray versus the base car. So per Car and Driver the base hardtop Corvette is 3647 versus 3965 for the E-ray (2024). So the drive tunnel battery and front motor is only 300 lbs more (and AWD to boot). I'm not sure what all the BMW is adding, but the Corvette didn't pay a hefty price for electrification. I'm a little surprised though how heavy the Corvette is in general for a two-seater. The CT4BW is 3851, so only 200 more than the base 'Vette and 100 less than the E-ray.
Corvette did it correct! BMW did not...

Just astounding that weight! I have a full size truck that weighs less than a M5? lol

Along with my emails from Cadillac wanting me to buy the newer year BW or SUV, I get ads from Chevrolet wanting me to buy a Corvette. This thread got me interested in seeing the weight difference of the Corvette E-Ray versus the base car. So per Car and Driver the base hardtop Corvette is 3647 versus 3965 for the E-ray (2024). So the drive tunnel battery and front motor is only 300 lbs more (and AWD to boot). I'm not sure what all the BMW is adding, but the Corvette didn't pay a hefty price for electrification. I'm a little surprised though how heavy the Corvette is in general for a two-seater. The CT4BW is 3851, so only 200 more than the base 'Vette and 100 less than the E-ray.

The M5 is a plug in hybrid with a much larger battery. 18.6kw, vs the E ray with a 1.9kw battery. Nearly 10x the capacity.

These plug in hybrids are meant to be able to make the commute on EV power alone, or venture into EV only zero emission zones in European (and maybe future US) cities.

Came here from a Veloster N, and can confirm it's the small, joyful car that BMW no longer knows how to build. Thanks, Albert B!
Just got back in from running a few errands in my GTI (that I'm not driving nearly enough theses days)....its so quick (understatement) and tossable....just a joy...on the way home some young guy in a newish BMW shot out when a light turned (his windows were down so he could hear me good but must of thought I was all bark and no bite) and I really enjoyed quickly reeling him in and dusting him big time....the look on his girlfriends face as I shot by them was priceless. Yeah - new M cars are very fast...but BMW is not what it used to be - a real drivers car...its a shame really.

Just got back in from running a few errands in my GTI (that I'm not driving nearly enough theses days)....its so quick (understatement) and tossable....just a joy...on the way home some young guy in a newish BMW shot out when a light turned (his windows were down so he could hear me good but must of thought I was all bark and no bite) and I really enjoyed quickly reeling him in and dusting him big time....the look on his girlfriends face as I shot by them was priceless. Yeah - new M cars are very fast...but BMW is not what it used to be - a real drivers car...its a shame really.
I've considered the GTI several times, I think it's a great little car, but the lack of low RPM torque bugs the bejeezus out of me. I know it's a tiny little turbo 4, so I can't expect much. I presume that you have a tune, does it make a big difference under 3K?

Yes, yes, I know, a supercharged 6.2L has spoiled me terribly. :beer

I've considered the GTI several times, I think it's a great little car, but the lack of low RPM torque bugs the bejeezus out of me. I know it's a tiny little turbo 4, so I can't expect much. I presume that you have a tune, does it make a big difference under 3K?

Yes, yes, I know, a supercharged 6.2L has spoiled me terribly. :beer
MK VI Stage 3+ (big turbo)...but still spools up very quick - very little lag - tons of low end torque (severe understatement). Its so easy to light up the tires (in several gears) - can be controlled with throttle experience but fun to do now and then. I've done many handling mods as well - including lowering with camber adjustment and bracing.

The car is a joy and always a thrill. It feels much faster then the CT 4 V and I think it is - but it also just feels quicker as it slams you back in your seat. Can't say enough good things about this car. Better back seat then the BW too and as a hatch is great for hauling stuff. I also replaced/upgraded the shifter so its on par with the tremec though not similar in feel.

Getting off-topic here, and I don't want to come across as confrontational or anything, but I only had a stage 1 level tune on a 2009 GLI and I couldn't keep the front wheels from breaking loose from a start. I don't know how you can get much traction with 400 hp and I only had about 250-260. Maybe a GTI has better weight distribution. It really seems that they need AWD like the R. My wife's new S3 has AWD, but I really haven't tried to test it out myself. I just keep it washed for her. 😏

Getting off-topic here, and I don't want to come across as confrontational or anything, but I only had a stage 1 level tune on a 2009 GLI and I couldn't keep the front wheels from breaking loose from a start. I don't know how you can get much traction with 400 hp and I only had about 250-260. Maybe a GTI has better weight distribution. It really seems that they need AWD like the R. My wife's new S3 has AWD, but I really haven't tried to test it out myself. I just keep it washed for her. 😏
The Mk7 PP's diff was pretty magic

I hear you. I have a very nice wave trac LSD and it certainly helps (particularly with torque steer) but does not eliminate spin. If I full throttle accelerate I can spin through 5 gears (depending on temps and surface...but yeah)...so I've learned just how much to punch it to keep it under control (with maybe a bit of chirp)....regardless - even with spin it rockets forward very quickly. When it spins it feels like your hanging on for dear life and sliding along on sand...but it goes and is very exciting doing so. Even if I hold it under slip it still goes (PS4s pretty gripy). I curse FWD every day but have to admit it has its moments....I do miss my S4 (2001) which had even more HP & torque and was nearly impossible to slip/spin unless you were on gravel (or snow)...

I hear you. I have a very nice wave trac LSD and it certainly helps (particularly with torque steer) but does not eliminate spin. If I full throttle accelerate I can spin through 5 gears (depending on temps and surface...but yeah)...so I've learned just how much to punch it to keep it under control (with maybe a bit of chirp)....regardless - even with spin it rockets forward very quickly. When it spins it feels like your hanging on for dear life and sliding along on sand...but it goes and is very exciting doing so. Even if I hold it under slip it still goes (PS4s pretty gripy). I curse FWD every day but have to admit it has its moments....I do miss my S4 (2001) which had even more HP & torque and was nearly impossible to slip/spin unless you were on gravel (or snow)...
Yeah the good old B5 S4...I had it's C5 A6 sibling with the 2.7T engine 6 speed manual...EPL stage 3 with aquamist W/M injection. The thing would just grip and go. Also had a Mk7 Golf R with just a stage 1 APR tune, replaced that with the BW

Yeah the good old B5 S4...I had it's C5 A6 sibling with the 2.7T engine 6 speed manual...EPL stage 3 with aquamist W/M injection. The thing would just grip and go. Also had a Mk7 Golf R with just a stage 1 APR tune, replaced that with the BW
I miss that S4 so much (though not the maintenance & cost of such). Sold it to a neighbor 2-3 years ago who put $25K into it and is hoping to achieve 650 WHP (hasn't done final tuning or such yet and its not licensed). At least he's said I will be able to drive it if I want once its back on the road. The CT 4 V BW is a better all around vehicle in most every way (but I do miss the torque, AWD and the wagon for hauling stuff).

OMG, that's just crazy (auction ended at $101K + premium). I've owned three of those things, each one was problematic in its own special way. Add onto that that it is now a 22 year-old car, and things that don't fail just because of BMW will fail just because of age.

I mean, don't get me wrong, I'd still love to have my first one (also LeMans blue) because it was such a special, unique car, but the idea of buying one like this auction that you can't drive because it will depreciate too much, and will probably have a CEL every time you start it (because it sits/sat too much) and ... well, I don't collect cars. I drive them.

FWIW, brief history, my first E39 was a 528 (issues...) then the one-owner 5 year-old 2003 LeMans Blue (w/16K miles) that got totalled, then a three-owner 2000 w/15K that burned oil like a freight train and had bad paint and didn't run quite right, then a 2003 multiple owner with about 120K on it that was OK, but never lit my fire like the first one. I was actually able to flip the second and third cars for a minor profit, but it wasn't worth the hassle.
i miss my e39 m5 too. i went and test drove one for sale last weekend and was quickly brought back to reality of what a 2024 year old bmw is like

I think the reason that most BMW M owners have not gravitated to the BW line is, aside from availability, that there is just still a lot of baggage on the GM product and Cadillac especially. I confess that I initially discounted the BW because I knew I wouldn't be able to get one, and the OG CTS-V was just so hideous inside that I couldn't believe that it would get much better. Fortunately I was wrong on both counts.
ive owned 8 M cars and half dozen non-M model bmw's. if the g80 wasnt so god damn ugly i probably would have just gotten one of those instead of the BW but i'm glad i took the chance on the 4. if all goes well hopefully i'll trade it in for a 5 at some point

I bought my M car mainly due to the fact that I sold my V3 and couldn’t get a Blackwing. My dealer was being shady so I said F this and F GM (my V3 was my 3rd new GM purchase between 2016 and 2018) and ordered my first BMW. Happy with both the purchase and ownership experience. I’d only replace it with a BW (or the M5 Touring heh). I'm still on a list to order a 5 so we’ll see how I feel when the day finally arrives.

Win 2 Supercharged Cadillacs!

Win both supercharged Cadillac Vs!

Supporting Vendors

Exhibitions of Speed

Signature Wheels

Taput Tunning LLC

V-Series Marketplace

Advertise with the Cadillac V-Net!

Torque Shop

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom