Welcome to the Cadillac V-Series Forums!

CT4-V Some thoughts after test driving an auto 4-v blackwing, and asking for some advice regarding manual vs auto

Cadillac CT4-V model

cjz

Hi folks!

Checked out a RS5 sportback, RS3's and an automatic CT4-v blackwing this week: apart from the well designed virtual cockpit, and that flatbed like boot in the audi's that can double as a bed with the seats down for road trips, which was so incredibly tempting, loved everything about the blackwing. The suspension was incredible in its softest setting, gliding over rough road surfaces and potholes, yet can also be as stiff as a track car, steering was well weighted and responsive, brakes felt great, interior buttons were nice and clicky, and the rear seats aren't as bad as online made them to be (I'm 5'10-5'11, and could comfortably sit behind myself, though I do prefer to sit more upright and close to the wheel), also dunno why but the B&O sound systems all sounded so muddy and cheap in the audi 5 series, while the blackwings was acceptable, my friends SQ5 has great audio so don't know what went wrong there. Oh yeah, and maybe its the test car, but the blackwing I was in smelled kinda greasy

Regardless, I am now in the process of choosing between a manual and an auto blackwing right now and would love some inputs! Was initially settled on the 6MT but driving the auto is now giving me second thoughts.

The 10 speed felt great, power was intense and felt quite engaging with the frequent shifting in manual mode due to 10spd, but at the same time made me worry if the gearing might be too long in the manual to kill engagement, wondering if any MT owners could provide some input. As the car will be my daily and will also be taken on long road trips, the creature comforts an auto provides is also tempting.

Additionally, curious if anybody has experience with the electronic parking brake and hills. You never know if someone behind just decides to park too close or if the hill is too steep, a manual handbrake is easy in these situations but not sure on how the electronic brakes fare

If you are interested in the manual and deciding between the two… get the manual.

I owned manuals for 17 years, last year decided to get an automatic CLA 45 AMG and traded it in less than a year after ownership because I got bored with it.

The Tremec 6 speed in the 4 Blackwing is fantastic. As good or better (in a different way) than the 6 speed in my 21 Miata which is regarded as one of the best in the business. I think it may have been Throttle House where he said he will often recommend the automatics even when a car has a manual because the auto is better/superior, but with the 4 BW it was a decisive “get the manual”.

Regarding the engagement - it is very satisfying and fun even at legal speeds. The weight of the clutch pedal combined with the weight and operation of the shifter is perfect. It’s extremely satisfying rowing gears even just putzing around town. The rev match can make you feel like a race car driver without breaking the law.

I would drive both if I were you to help you decide, but if you enjoy driving manual and you don’t need the automatic, this one is a no brainer.

I am pretty sure the 4BW has hill hold assist like my 5BW 6sp. You will have no problem on hills.

And manual. Manual. MANUAL! End of discussion.

In all seriousness, the 4BW manual has better gearing than the tall 5BW gears. The Tremecs are such a pleasure to use in all situations. I freaking loved test driving a 4BW 6sp manual after I had taken delivery of my 5BW. The 4 is actually a sharper, sportier feeling car and I pine for one. I am not sure I have heard of anyone saying "golly I sure wish I had bought the automatic over the manual".

Thanks for the replies!

Unrelated but suddenly came to my mind: does anyone happen to know if a roof rack is available for the ct4 bw? A quick search seemed to yield no results

5BW 6M owner for 2 years now. I’ve never had a day when I wished I had the A10. The main reasons I’m a first time Cadillac owner are: I’m all about “big” saloons, old school V8s, and MT or die.

If you have the physical ability to drive the M6 I don’t see any debate.

5BW 6M owner for 2 years now. I’ve never had a day when I wished I had the A10. The main reasons I’m a first time Cadillac owner are: I’m all about “big” saloons, old school V8s, and MT or die.

If you have the physical ability to drive the M6 I don’t see any debate.
It’s only because you haven’t had the opportunity to put miles on an A10, we have both 5BW, yes the manual keeps you busy(there’s no choice) the A10 is simply a joy to drive quieter better fuel mileage more relaxed if you can believe that. Our A10 is the only choice on every drive the manual sits in garage.

The 4 BW manual has the hill assist on the clutch and it won’t let you move backwards on a hill. The manual version has ti rods so it spins up a bit faster. The ability to adjust the steering, suspension, brake feel, traction modes and exhaust make it and the 5 BW one of the most configurable cars for sale right now.

Reactions: cjz
I daily my manual 4BW in the classic NJ traffic, it's still a joy to use.

As you experienced, the breadth of capability on these cars is fantastic - comfortable highway cruiser to back road destroyer in one button.

Thanks for the replies!

Unrelated but suddenly came to my mind: does anyone happen to know if a roof rack is available for the ct4 bw? A quick search seemed to yield no results

I don't think so. I think it's SeaSucker or nothing, but I could be wrong.

As others have already noted the 4BW 6MT is very engaging even at low speeds. The Tremec transmission is one of the best. The clutch is surprisingly light compared to my Mustang and took me some time to get used to. But once i got used to the clutch, I find it perfect for stop and go, hills, or spirited driving.

Never test driven the A10. Being able to buy a MT car was a major reason of going with the 4BW.

i have nothing against automatic/dual clutch trans cars, owned plenty of them but i refuse to buy one when a manual is an option. feels like a wasted opportunity to own something you dont see often when its offered in a car you want to own

Went from a 6MT Hellcat to A10 and love it. Got sick of shifting gears especially in traffic. I drove a manual 4BW and was fun but felt slow compared to the auto. I will say the tremec in BW is far superior to the hellcat and shifts buttery smooth.

Went from a 6MT Hellcat to A10 and love it. Got sick of shifting gears especially in traffic. I drove a manual 4BW and was fun but felt slow compared to the auto. I will say the tremec in BW is far superior to the hellcat and shifts buttery smooth.

That's funny, I was gonna say the opposite.. kept getting faster auto cars, last being a hellcat, and wasn't ever feeling satisfied. Doing paddle shifts at 3-4k rpms just doesn't have much drama for me so prefer a manual

In fact now I scout used challenger hellcat 6MTs sometimes when I miss a V8 (and still can't afford a 5BW)

IMG_7117.jpeg
IMG_7045.jpeg
IMG_6593.jpeg
My thoughts. I own a 2024 CT4V BW 6SPD...if I had to do everything over again, I would have likely gone with the 10SPD auto...not necessarily for the reasons you would think. I love driving it, I just think the cabin of the CT4V BW is just a bit small/cramped almost...I am not a big dude, 5'7" ...but it just feels a big cramped if you are doing other things...if it is a cruise on a Saturday with other Vs...the car is pretty darn near perfect...love it...but if I am working...running errands, etc...it just feels tight...I know, likely does not make any sense...I get it...
IMG_7109.jpeg
IMG_7034.jpeg
IMG_7029.jpeg

However, if I was doing all over again, without hestitation I would go bigger, that's right spend the extra $$ and just get the CT5V BW...the specs of the new 2025 is very appealing...I may just jump into one, we will see. If / when I do, it will be the 6spd, all day, everyday...Caddy has a winner in this transmission...super fun to drive as a 6 SPD manual...

Anyways...some eye candy pics...

As a general rule, manual sports cars always command more money in the secondary market, so the enthusiasts have voted; Tremec for president! I had no choice but an A10 at Spring Mountain, and it was fine, but it’s so unfulfilling and expected. A 670hp rear drive sedan with a manual?? GTFO of here…that would be my response if there wasn’t one in my garage.

Give me a manual or give me death!

I think it comes down to why the car is being bought. In my case, it is an extra vehicle to be used mostly outside of work. My commuter is an HD truck. So when I drive the Blackwing, it is for my pleasure. That said, manual all day long for me. No comparison from an engagement standpoint.

If it were my only vehicle, and I commuted in traffic, maybe an auto. But I think back to owning my automatic 2022 M4. The cabin and leather seats were incredible. It was rocket ship fast in a straight line. My best 0-60 was 3.1, and it takes no talent to do. Fit, finish, and paint were all superior to my Caddy. And yet it never made me smile while driving like my manual 5 Blackwing. Never.

I used to hate doing errands w the wife on weekends. With the BW, I volunteer to drive her wherever she needs to go. Always a pleasure to drive that car.

Win 2 Supercharged Cadillacs!

Win both supercharged Cadillac Vs!

Supporting Vendors

Exhibitions of Speed

Signature Wheels

Taput Tunning LLC

V-Series Marketplace

Advertise with the Cadillac V-Net!

Torque Shop

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom