Welcome to the Cadillac V-Series Forums!

CT4-V Some thoughts after test driving an auto 4-v blackwing, and asking for some advice regarding manual vs auto

Cadillac CT4-V model
OP - kinda interesting question. Likely not much helpful advice. I think many of us bought the BW specifically because its available with a clutch. That's what makes it unique. For people who love them, there is no alternate.

I can't imagine being OK with the slushbox when a real, 3-pedal version is available.

OP - kinda interesting question. Likely not much helpful advice. I think many of us bought the BW specifically because its available with a clutch. That's what makes it unique. For people who love them, there is no alternate.

I can't imagine being OK with the slushbox when a real, 3-pedal version is available.
I agree completely...I was interested in the CT 4 V BW specifically because it was available with MT. That being said - I understand that not everyone cares about that or may not drive MT. For those folks the auto is a fine option - as both the 4 & 5 BWs are still fantastic driving cars regardless - with great power, handling, comfort and nice looks. But yeah....if you at all value MT for the driving experience - these are just so good for that and as someone who loves driving manual and quickly gets bored and frustrated with automatics when i drive them (most of the time) - the MT was the only way to go...

I agree completely...I was interested in the CT 4 V BW specifically because it was available with MT. That being said - I understand that not everyone cares about that or may not drive MT. For those folks the auto is a fine option - as both the 4 & 5 BWs are still fantastic driving cars regardless - with great power, handling, comfort and nice looks. But yeah....if you at all value MT for the driving experience - these are just so good for that and as someone who loves driving manual and quickly gets bored and frustrated with automatics when i drive them (most of the time) - the MT was the only way to go...
I agree with your statements. I will add, though, if you are buying an automatic, there is competition to consider. If you are buying a manual, there is no competition.

I agree with your statements. I will add, though, if you are buying an automatic, there is competition to consider. If you are buying a manual, there is no competition.
The 5BW was not on my radar at all and likely would not be a buyer. But that afternoon back in January 2022 when I started watching videos and saw the MT I was all in. Started calling around the next day.

The 5BW was not on my radar at all and likely would not be a buyer. But that afternoon back in January 2022 when I started watching videos and saw the MT I was all in. Started calling around the next day.
You were smart, my friend. In no way am I saying the autos are not great cars - they are. But when all the dust settles on this machine down the road, the manual 5 is going to be a Legend (and it sorta already is).

Stumbled across this from a related article on The Drive, and it seems relevant to this discussion.

I drive my 6MT 4BW primarily in city traffic and have no regrets or issues with that.

I do love the car but personally if I were going to get an auto it would probably be much lower on my list.

This is exactly where it would get tricky.

For us 3-pedal devotees, the BW is a no-brainer.

If you don't want to row your own gears, there is LOTS of competition. Many threads posted here give lots of personal experiences with many other cars, mostly from Germany.

This is exactly where it would get tricky.

For us 3-pedal devotees, the BW is a no-brainer.

If you don't want to row your own gears, there is LOTS of competition. Many threads posted here give lots of personal experiences with many other cars, mostly from Germany.
Agree with this 100%. I'd add the giulia quadrifogliogliolgiolgo if considering the auto. That I said, I am very confused these days in that for 25 years I've said cars should be german and bikes should be italian.... and here i am in a GM forum!

Agree with this 100%. I'd add the giulia quadrifogliogliolgiolgo if considering the auto. That I said, I am very confused these days in that for 25 years I've said cars should be german and bikes should be italian.... and here i am in a GM forum!
Haha this car was initially in my consideration list as well, but since its my daily, alfa romeo was crossed out. Also wanted a more lowkey vehicle: the Alfa just looks too good!

yea, i think the rs3 is a better overall car than ct4 is manual isnt a consideration

Haha this car was initially in my consideration list as well, but since its my daily, alfa romeo was crossed out. Also wanted a more lowkey vehicle: the Alfa just looks too good!
It does look SO good. I think that Alfa is the best looking daily driver car I've ever seen.

Why did you cross it out because it's an alfa? Reliability concerns?

yea, i think the rs3 is a better overall car than ct4 is manual isnt a consideration
"Better" is so hard to define. I drove an RS3 and found it to be a very typical Audi - nose heavy and hence understeers like crazy. Personally, I struggle to enjoy any AWD car on the street for exactly this reason - pushing understeer is perhaps my least favorite thing on earth!

I may have felt this way at one time but not so sure anymore (unless maybe I wanted to heavily mod it or if i lived in a snow heavy area). But this review has certainly made me question my RS3 love....

Both the A10 and 6MT 4BW are great cars. Don't forget only the manual 4BW gets titanium connecting rods (FWIW). Either way, you can't go wrong with whatever works best for you.

I have a 5BW six-speed and I've never wanted for the A10 personally. One of the main reasons to get the Blackwings are the epic Tremec 6-speeds.

I have a 5BW six-speed and I've never wanted for the A10 personally. One of the main reasons to get the Blackwings are the epic Tremec 6-speeds.
Exactly my point above. In the manual, there simply is no competition for the 5 Blackwing. None. Automatic, then the regular contenders are in play.

I find the benefits of a manual depend on how I am driving.

For ordinary driving and running unfamiliar mountain roads at less than 8/10s the satisfaction of operating a manual well is very high. It adds appreciably to the pleasure of driving and makes boring commutes much more interesting. For this type of driving I much prefer a manual.

For running the best sections of familiar mountain roads a manual makes very little difference. Once I push beyond 8/10s, driving takes all the attention and coordination I can muster. Operating a manual takes more attention and coordination than paddle shifters, and that takes away from the attention I can give to chassis behaviour, reading the road and hitting the right lines through the turns at the right speeds. As a result, at a lower intensity level I start making the little mistakes that tell me to slow down. I go a little faster with paddle shifters, but the degree of involvement is the same 100%. So I don't find much of a difference in satisfaction for this type of driving.

I have a 5 with the A10. Happy with my decision since I can just mash it and away we go, fast. I don't drive it much unless we are going somewhere nice and I won't have to worry about people parking next to me. I think with the M6 in the car it would be more difficult to put to use than auto on the street. The M6 in my BW4 is exactly what the littler brother needs to stay playful.

I may have felt this way at one time but not so sure anymore (unless maybe I wanted to heavily mod it or if i lived in a snow heavy area). But this review has certainly made me question my RS3 love....

As someone who has both in the same household it’s close but I don’t think the rs3 is a much better car if we’re talking auto vs auto. The blackwing is still more fun to drive and rides better too. The rs3 is more practical and more fuel efficient. The rs3 engine is nice though.

Just going to leave this quote, completely out of context. :)
18:42 of the video: "You know what would fix that is a manual transmission."

Win 2 Supercharged Cadillacs!

Win both supercharged Cadillac Vs!

Supporting Vendors

Exhibitions of Speed

Signature Wheels

Taput Tunning LLC

V-Series Marketplace

Advertise with the Cadillac V-Net!

Torque Shop

Our Partners

Back