Welcome to the Cadillac V-Series Forums!

Media dumps

Most youtubers are just cranking out videos that they think the algorithm wants - and a lot of people click on those 'which car will be collectible' videos. The actual content of the video is a secondary concern.

My take

1. Will the 5 Blackwing be as collectable as the manual CTS-V Wagon? No. The production numbers are already higher and the V-Wagon has more of an X-Factor in terms of it being an American High Performance Manual Wagon. The car media coverage on that thing was wall to wall even upon release in a way the Blackwing has not been. I thought Doug was insane for saying he didn't think it would be collectable; it checks all the obvious boxes so long as you aren't inherently brand-biased against Cadillac.

2. What current cars will be collectables? I am going to get annihilated for this, but I'd suspect it's going to be quirky or record-breaking electric cars like the Lucid Air Sapphire, Rivian R1T, Rimac Nevera and ugh, the Cybertruck. Why? Because they're not selling in large numbers, at least two of those companies will no longer exist, and its what today's teenagers will be after when they're middle-aged. Just don't worry about the batteries, lol.

3. Buying cars just to collect them keeps them out of the hands of enthusiasts who will drive them. Can they just not invest in stocks or crypto instead and let us enjoy the cars?
Agree with some of this and disagree with others.

On the v2 wagon vs. 5BW, it's hard to say which one will be more sought-after. I slightly lean to the wagon, but the 5BW being the last manual V8 sedan after the MT took a generation off - and being an all-around great car like the v2 wagon - has some real value. However, a cherry v2 manual wagon will probably always be worth the most due to rarity and just batshit craziness.

I really doubt an R1T or Cybertruck will ever be collectible due to production numbers. I'm heavily influenced by living in the heart of Silicon Valley, but these are both EVERYWHERE. They've already built 32k R1Ts and counting, and don't forget the R1S is similar. The others, I'm not sure. I've heard the Nevera isn't selling well. I think it will be harder for EVs to carve a collector niche simply because powertrain-wise they are almost like computers - newer ones are going to just be better without sacrificing any "character". Vs. ICE cars where a new version might be faster and technically superior, but it might have turbos, AWD, auto-only, heavier, etc.

Agreed on the last one. Once storage, maintenance, insurance and other costs are factored in, few cars have beaten the S&P 500, which you can trade in the click of a button. I guess index funds aren't as cool to have during the ownership period as a car, but yes collecting for the sake of value/appreciation is annoying. It's a machine, not a gold bar.

I'm happy to own a 5BW and a GR Corolla, but would note that Doug specifically said that the GR Corolla Circuit Edition (second highest trim level in 2023, highest trim level in 2024) is the one that would be a future classic. Probably the 2023 Morizo edition as well--because he's talking about cars you can buy *now* in 2024. 2024 Circuit Edition added the forged wheels, I think, along with other 2024 changes for all trims such as parking sensors, so I'd rather have the 2024 GRC Circuit Edition if I had a choice of years.

FWIW, I did not get the Circuit Edition, although I would have loved to. They were much more scarce and dealers were not willing to sell without markup (that I could find, anyway). I ended up with a Premium and am very happy with it. Perhaps now the Circuit Edition is more available closer to MSRP? If so, I highly recommend it.

Last week my Toyota dealer asked me I wanted a blue flame circuit at MSRP. But the 2025s got already announced with the Morizo engine, updated suspension, HUD, improved AWD system, HUD etc, so I passed.

The new 2025 Premium plus comes with basically all the circuit stuff except the easy to add spoiler and forged wheels.

I think the GRC that will be collectible is going to be whatever special final version of the car.

Agreed on the last one. Once storage, maintenance, insurance and other costs are factored in, few cars have beaten the S&P 500, which you can trade in the click of a button. I guess index funds aren't as cool to have during the ownership period as a car, but yes collecting for the sake of value/appreciation is annoying. It's a machine, not a gold bar.

Yes. Absolutely.
Still, it makes a ton of sense to look for a vehicle that is likely to enjoy low depreciation, even more if there’s a legit hope of some appreciation.
Minimizing losses is as important as maximizing gains: Why burn your money if you don’t have to?
Also, many of the cars that turn out to depreciate the least, and even more so those that have upside down the road, achieve such rare status because they’re damn fine cars that are enjoyable to own.

Also, many of the cars that turn out to depreciate the least, and even more so those that have upside down the road, achieve such rare status because they’re damn fine cars that are enjoyable to own.
Why I plan on never selling our ZHP. For that matter I don't imagine I will be selling or trading in our CT 4 V BW anytime soon....if ever...

Youtube videos are posted to grab eyes and create revenue, not for accuracy or crowd favorites.

The model 3 and S are so NOT not so NOT collectables. They literally are appliances printed by the 100's of 1,000's. They capture the early fascination with BEV hyper acceleration that is already 'who cares', just like the rest of the experience with Tesla. What matters is range, charging speed/infrastructure, and driver engagement. In January '25 when Lucid gains access to the Supercharger network, it will make it the best BEV on the market. You're welcome if you buy shares now, before the Gravity comes out. :cool:

I don't think they are making any cars today that will become collectible anywhere near what we've all been witness to over the last couple decades. Kids today are more concerned their phone battery doesn't die so they can order uber for everything. Look at recent auctions. R34 Skylines, Supra's, anything from FnF is popular and overly expensive today because those of us that grew up on it can afford some of it today. Car manufacturers are not into building something collectible in todays disposable world.

Last week my Toyota dealer asked me I wanted a blue flame circuit at MSRP. But the 2025s got already announced with the Morizo engine, updated suspension, HUD, improved AWD system, HUD etc, so I passed.

The new 2025 Premium plus comes with basically all the circuit stuff except the easy to add spoiler and forged wheels.

I think the GRC that will be collectible is going to be whatever special final version of the car.

As always, timing is everything. 9 months ago I'd have jumped at the chance to get a Blue Flame GRC Circuit Edition at MSRP. But with the updates I can totally see people waiting for the '25s.

Win 2 Supercharged Cadillacs!

Win both supercharged Cadillac Vs!

Supporting Vendors

Exhibitions of Speed

Signature Wheels

Taput Tunning LLC

V-Series Marketplace

Advertise with the Cadillac V-Net!

Torque Shop

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom