Welcome to the Cadillac V-Series Forums!

Check engine light at 900 miles

VSforever

V-Series Cadillac(s)?
2023 Ct5 V Blackwing
I got the car with 10 miles, respected the break in period. Had the oil changed at 850 miles. Today I opened it up a bit taking the RPM's to 5k and I could feel a bit of a shudder/lack of power above 4k and sure enough the check engine light started flashing. Ironically a few minutes later the power steering light came on and the steering wheel became noticeably stiffer, probably unrelated but strange. Called my local dealer and the soonest they can get me in is about 9 days from now. To be careful I will park it and drive something else in the meanwhile. The advisor said I can drive it just keep it at low RPM's, just not worth the risk to me. It sounds like a misfire, just hoping this isn't anything catastrophic like some of the other engine failures I have read about on the forms. Sure seems odd to happen at such low milage, having respected the break in period of keeping it below 4k rpms and changing the oil early on. Fingers crossed it is something simple to fix. Has anyone else had a similar issue on the forums to what I described? Car is a 2023 manual transmisson.

Yup, time to sell it to one of us at pennies on the dollar.

Not to beat this dead horse, but per page 236 of the manual, break in is 1500 miles

Do you have the 4 or 5?
His/her profile says 5.

I will suggest that you either find a friend with one, or buy an OBDC reader, get a diagnostic app for your phone, and read the codes yourself.

I suspect that will relieve a lot of the anxiety. Keep us posted, and best of luck!

1. Get a OBDII port reader. Pretty cheap on Amazon.
  2. DO NOT DRIVE THE CAR
  3. Get back on the phone with the service department and RAISE HELL. Your ~$100k car is undrivable and telling you to wait 9 days is unacceptable. Tow it to the dealer ASAP and sit in their face until they give you a rental car. It's amazing how fast they will get you in for service when it starts costing them money.
  4. Keep us posted.
Good luck.

The advisor said I can drive it just keep it at low RPM's ... soonest they can get me in is about 9 days from now
That's a big nope from me too. Do you live in an area with different dealerships? I expect your experience with this dealer is going to continue the way it started ... i.e. slow, frustrating and possibly incompetent

I would drive it (or tow it) to the dealership and let it sit there until they look at it. Once it's there, the 30-day window starts ticking for them to repair the problem. The sooner you start the lemon process the better- there's no reason not to. If they fix it... great. If not, the longer the car has been sitting, the longer the time it's closer to that magic 30-day number.

It's a new car. You shouldn't have to do anything at all. That's what the warranty is for.

Are you able to check and see if the battery level/voltage is good. I only suggest this since the steering also got funky.

Yikes at some of these responses. OP, you have an appointment with the dealer, just bring it by then. They may be short on techs and already have cars being worked on. Asking the dealer to jump your car to the front, bypassing existing cars doesn't sit right with me. Plus you have a car you can drive in the meantime. Hopefully the dealer can get you sorted out quickly once it's brought in. Gotta give a business a chance to do the right thing.

Well nine days out just to get him in for an appointment on a brand new car that was over 100k….ill agree with others that’s a bit much. Plus I’d have it taken on a flatbed there and dropped off.

Well nine days out just to get him in for an appointment on a brand new car that was over 100k….ill agree with others that’s a bit much. Plus I’d have it taken on a flatbed there and dropped off.
Why does everyone keep bringing up the price of the car lol. Sounds like the dealer is acting with integrity and not giving special treatment just because his vehicle might be more expensive than most they have in queue.

Can't you just push the onstar button and ask what the trouble code is? I did that in '08 with my saturn sky redline when my thermostat stuck open and triggered the cel.

Why does everyone keep bringing up the price of the car lol. Sounds like the dealer is acting with integrity and not giving special treatment just because his vehicle might be more expensive than most they have in queue.
Do you work for a dealership?

Do you work for a dealership?
Nope. Just like to give people the benefit of the doubt. I'd like to believe that the dealer would get him in sooner if they could. Warranty work pays shit, but it's still pay instead of a tech being idle. Now if they prove they're just being lazy, slow, incompetent, etc then of course F them lol.

Agree on the battery advice. Also agree that the price of the car does not entitle you to jump the service line. $100k is not that exclusive these days and certainly isn’t the proverbial “do you know who I am??”. It could be an excellent service center and it’s very busy.

Isn't Cadillac supposed to be positioned as a luxury brand? When my Jeep was in the shop for over a month (!), I was given a loaner the day I brought it in. Sure it sucked having to drive an Enterprise Durango instead of my 6-speed manual 2-door Rubicon Wrangler, but at least I was accommodated, and that was a Chrysler/Dodge/Jeep/Ram dealer.

And of course the clock started ticking then, and once the 40-day mark hit, Jeep was nice enough to fully reimburse me for the purchase price of the Jeep (going through the lemon law process- I didn't get the check for another two months, but whatever). But if you're more interested in looking out for the dealer, feel free to sit by and wait for your time to come. Hopefully you won't have any issues in the future and it'll be a moot point.

Might be just an issue of having a lot of work and insufficient staff. I don't know about Southern California, but up in Central California there is a definite shortage of auto techs. Combine that with difficulty in moving from brand to brand due to having to learn all of the ins and outs of the new platform and things can slow down

I wonder if all of the engine failures is what's causing the massive delay in start of the 25 5VBW production.

Agree on the battery advice. Also agree that the price of the car does not entitle you to jump the service line. $100k is not that exclusive these days and certainly isn’t the proverbial “do you know who I am??”. It could be an excellent service center and it’s very busy.
My dealership is the only one within an hour of me. I've been there 3 times for service and I've had to wait at least a week to bring my car in. It's just always swamped with people and the service lines always have about 20 cars waiting to get tickets written.

Win 2 Supercharged Cadillacs!

Win both supercharged Cadillac Vs!

Supporting Vendors

Exhibitions of Speed

Signature Wheels

Taput Tunning LLC

V-Series Marketplace

Advertise with the Cadillac V-Net!

Torque Shop

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom