Welcome to the Cadillac V-Series Forums!

2025 Fat A** BMW M5

quikag

Seasoned Member
V-Series Cadillac(s)?
2023 Escalade V, 2022 CT5-V Blackwing
My goodness. I've been a lifetime BMW loyalist and found myself in a 4BW because "Ze Germans have lost the plot." (Ha!) and the M cars just are not drivers cars anymore.

but this takes it to a whole new level of absurdity. How can you have 5,000 (not 4,000) + pound car and call it an M car. It's honestly just a damn shame. Regardless of current preferences, M cars created this space and without them BW's probably wouldn't exist, so it's just sad to see the mighty M car's slow and painful fall from grace.

For whatever reason, it seems apparent that top speed figures and 0-60 times are what sell performance cars today, because they are easy to understand and get your beer muscles on in the bar telling your buddy that your car can go a bazillion miles and hour (theoretically). Too few actually car about driving the car anymore!

My goodness. I've been a lifetime BMW loyalist and found myself in a 4BW because "Ze Germans have lost the plot." (Ha!) and the M cars just are not drivers cars anymore.

but this takes it to a whole new level of absurdity. How can you have 5,000 (not 4,000) + pound car and call it an M car. It's honestly just a damn shame. Regardless of current preferences, M cars created this space and without them BW's probably wouldn't exist, so it's just sad to see the mighty M car's slow and painful fall from grace.

For whatever reason, it seems apparent that top speed figures and 0-60 times are what sell performance cars today, because they are easy to understand and get your beer muscles on in the bar telling your buddy that your car can go a bazillion miles and hour (theoretically). Too few actually car about driving the car anymore!

Oh, the E39 M5 was my dream car back in college and just out of college. The E60 was cool too with that V10. F10 was okay, but a little too isolated feeling. After that, never really been that interested. The last gen M5 CS was quite a performer, so I would have considered that one if the BW didn't exist.

But, at this point, BMW has fallen off the wagon. 5,400 pounds. FIVE THOUSAND FOUR HUNDRED POUNDS. Damn.

For context, it's 295lbs heavier than a top-end 760i xDrive, and within ~50lbs of an X5 M and base X7. It's actually more than a Model X Plaid, a 6-passenger electric SUV that would leave this for dead at the lights.

As a former E39 M5 and current 5BW owner, I feel validated in my choices. I'm a die-hard ICE fan (EVs are great for commuters, but not for fun IMO) but at this point, why bother? An 1,153lbs weight gain over the prior gen has to be some sort of record, especially in a "performance car."

I do wonder if Blackwing sales will get a bump. It's clear the party is kind of over for ICE super sedans, and as a fan of M3/M5s, big V8 AMGs, Audi RS models, and Cadillac V's over the years, that makes me sad.

It's funny I was going to share this video about the upcoming M5 and how I just don't understand why car manufacturers just keep getting heavier and heavier with cars. Also how certain aspects of the cars lines just look disproportionate to others. Whole crazy discussion going on over on the BMW forums. Just BMW doing BMW things ruining one model after another year after year.

Hybrid and heavy. Like an individual kick to each testicle
The new C63S PHEV has also been panned because of its weight, plus the 4-cyl engine. It's 4,750lbs vs. ~4,150lbs for the prior gen, which was V8 but RWD. So in going PHEV, adding AWD but losing 4 cylinders, it gained ~600lbs.

This M5 already had AWD, and basically the same engine. So in simply adding the PHEV and other typical generational changes, why/how did it add 1,153lbs, nearly twice as much?

Doesn't help that it's enormous - 200.6" long, almost 6" longer than a 5BW and more than a foot longer than the E39 M5.

They lost the plot for the niche market of enthusiasts, but the expansive brand snobs category can't stop buying tickets to the show. BMW are just as capable as GM of building a world class sports sedan, but its a lot cheaper to print money built on the legacy of the M brand and the status of driving a BMW.

This M5 already had AWD, and basically the same engine. So in simply adding the PHEV and other typical generational changes, why/how did it add 1,153lbs, nearly twice as much?
Same reason the Model S is 4800lbs w/o an ICE under the hood: Batteries are heavy AF.

It's over for BMW's M division. The latest gen M2/M3/M4 lacking steering feel, communication and enjoyment was bad. A 5300lb M5 which will absolutely not go hard around the track without breaking something was worse.

Funny thing is a stick shift 5 BW still beat the previous gen M5 CS (source- Hagerty).

It's over for BMW's M division. The latest gen M2/M3/M4 lacking steering feel, communication and enjoyment was bad. A 5300lb M5 which will absolutely not go hard around the track without breaking something was worse.

Funny thing is a stick shift 5 BW still beat the previous gen M5 CS (source- Hagerty).
It's not over for the M division. There are too many BMW fanboys and too many people that have drank the coolaide that there will always be people to buy these cars.

oh yeah snl GIF by Saturday Night Live

...and it beat the current fastest BMW - the M3 CSL (it's close though.)

Win 2 Supercharged Cadillacs!

Win both supercharged Cadillac Vs!

Supporting Vendors

Exhibitions of Speed

Signature Wheels

Taput Tunning LLC

V-Series Marketplace

Advertise with the Cadillac V-Net!

Torque Shop

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom