Welcome to the Cadillac V-Series Forums!

CT5-V 2023 Blackwing tow truck driver forgot parking brake = 😢

CT5-V Model

LF Audio

V-Series Cadillac(s)?
2023 ct 5 v BlackWing
I'm worried that I may have just blown my engine.

2023 BlackWing with 10,450 miles. Just a week out from a bunch of engine mods (ported heads, ported blower, cam, port injection, E-85 tune, heat exchangers, headers, etc).

Dyno'd 850whp which should be pretty safe (I've seen others make quite a bit more).

Was driving fine and then right as I get home it starts rough idling and barely had enough power to pull into driveway.

I get out, it smells like oil. I tried starting it, turns over but no start.

No check engine light when it happened.

Seeing so many engine failures on this forum, I'm expecting catastrophic failure (bearings?) and because it's modded, I'm gonna be paying heavily for it 😅

I'll post updates once my shop takes it apart and we figure out what happened.

After 10 years with EV's, I feel like a dummy for going back to an ICE. A used plaid for half the cost of the car and mods would be way faster and more reliable, practical, and economic. Too bad nothing matches the manual V8 feel.

Anyone wanna buy a BW?

1000017076.jpg

Last edited:
check the oil. Does it look like a milkshake?

Yeah, I gotta go with Nick on this one. Heck of a coincidence that it fails right after all of the changes.

I get why you folks want to modify stuff, because more is always better. ;) I learned my lesson about that from modifying a Corvette many years ago. Yeah, it was fast, handled better, etc. but OMG there was always something going on that I had to deal with.

These days I just stick with stock, I figure that the engineers know what they are doing, and although it's not perfect, it's pretty darn good where it is. If I need something faster/better/prettier then I just buy another car. :rolleyes:

Yeah, I just couldn't live with getting gapped by EV's that are half priced. It's a me issue for sure.

Any race car builder knows you gotta pay to play. And sometimes you pay twice.

Yeah, I gotta go with Nick on this one. Heck of a coincidence that it fails right after all of the changes.

I get why you folks want to modify stuff, because more is always better. ;) I learned my lesson about that from modifying a Corvette many years ago. Yeah, it was fast, handled better, etc. but OMG there was always something going on that I had to deal with.

These days I just stick with stock, I figure that the engineers know what they are doing, and although it's not perfect, it's pretty darn good where it is. If I need something faster/better/prettier then I just buy another car. :rolleyes:
Yeah, it’s just not worth it. I have race cars that are for racing and my street car is for getting me around.
With that said, I give myself a year before I crank this car up to 1000hp

1 year old car, low mileage, and you void the warranty... and then complain about it. LOL LOL

IMO, There could always be something faster pulling up next to you on the street (EV, hypercar, crotch rocket, etc.) but that's not what the Blackwing is about. You can't have your cake and eat it too.

In all seriousness, if 0-60 times are what are important to you and you don't want to feel like you're driving a laptop then you have go with a premium EV. Have you considered a Taycan or a Lucid Sapphire?

I'm curious it see what you plan to do with this situation, keep us posted.

Last edited:
Reading his comments I'd say he or she is pretty calm about a blown motor. If it were me, the sentiment expressed would look much different.
It’s all about expectations going in. Every vehicle I’ve modded has come with a greatly increased level of maintenance. You learn that lesson a few times and then make wise choices.

If I were you I'd put it all back to stock, have it towed to a dealer and play dumb. I'm curious it see what you plan to do with this situation, keep us posted.
Gosh, I hope he does not do that. Where is the accountability?

To each his own I guess. I value how God sees me a lot more than what I see in my bank account.

Gosh, I hope he does not do that. Where is the accountability?

To each his own I guess. I value how God sees me a lot more than what I see in my bank account.
That's making a big assumption that the mods directly caused this issue. Without knowing for surely if the mods had something to do with it's not deception.

I've been up front on modded vehicles when I bring them to a mechanic for issues but they have been out of warranty by then. The first thing they'll tell you to do is put it all back to stock so they can accurately diagnose the problem.

The tuner should be able to go back at the logs and see what was done and how it happened. to the OP, what do they have to say about this?

To prevent a misleading post title about a 5BW stock engine failure, it should include what I underlined at a min. As previously mentioned, always someone faster! I also love the EV comparison, wait till you need to buy new batteries in future and what that costs…

2023 CT5-V Blackwing engine failure after modifications

That's making a big assumption that the mods directly caused this issue. Without knowing for surely if the mods had something to do with it's not deception.
And I mean nothing personal to you or how you live. And yes, maybe this is a Cadillac problem and not caused by his mods (even though we all "think" it probably is).

But why remove them? That is misleading at the least. Sure, Cadillac will probably see them and think the same as everyone here does. But in the end, I don't feel GM is liable for a motor "with a bunch of engine mods".

Yeah, I just couldn't live with getting gapped by EV's that are half priced. It's a me issue for sure.
There's an easy solution to that - have your Blackwing fun on a road course! Won't have to worry about EVs for long if at all!!

Sorry this happened. Unfortunately that's the big risk you take with heavy engine mods.

I don't worry about the EVs... Just the fact that the BW is RWD makes it hard to keep up - why bother and more importantly, who cares? I'd rather drive a fun 5sec 0-60 V8 than a 2sec EV.

1 year old car, low mileage, and you void the warranty... and then complain about it. LOL LOL
Where did I complain? I'm sharing my journey, did not complain, ask for warranty, or anything of the sort. I was fully aware of the risk going into the mods.

I could be wrong and the bottom end may be fine (I hope) and it could be something else.

Whatever it is, I'll post it here.

Last edited:

Win 2 Supercharged Cadillacs!

Win both supercharged Cadillac Vs!

Supporting Vendors

Exhibitions of Speed

Signature Wheels

Taput Tunning LLC

V-Series Marketplace

Advertise with the Cadillac V-Net!

Torque Shop

Our Partners