Welcome to the Cadillac V-Series Forums!

Sidewall Bump.. (morphed into Transmission replacement)

I also have notchy 1/2 on cold but I thought this was normal for the tremec.

I have never experienced any issues 1-2 or other gears on my 5. Cold, warm, never an issue.

The problem is notchy shifts are subjective. If you all keep shifting into 2nd and it doesn’t slip into gear as smooth or as easy as any other gear then the synchro is wearing down and eventually it will need to be replaced (partial rebuild). Anyone who experiences this should be double clutching in 2nd till the transmission fluid is fully warmed up or rev it out to shift into 3rd.

The dealer is doing the right thing by replacing it, the parts to rebuild it may not be available, they may not have a tech with that expertise and it’s still a newer car. If it was an auto they’d never risk a rebuild at a dealer so it shouldn’t be any different with a manual transmission.

The problem is notchy shifts are subjective. If you all keep shifting into 2nd and it doesn’t slip into gear as smooth or as easy as any other gear then the synchro is wearing down and eventually it will need to be replaced (partial rebuild). Anyone who experiences this should be double clutching in 2nd till the transmission fluid is fully warmed up or rev it out to shift into 3rd.

The dealer is doing the right thing by replacing it, the parts to rebuild it may not be available, they may not have a tech with that expertise and it’s still a newer car. If it was an auto they’d never risk a rebuild at a dealer so it shouldn’t be any different with a manual transmission.

The service manager at the dealer is pretty good, from the onset, he said he did not want to rebuild the transmission after finding abnormal metal debris in the fluid. However, he was required by GM to breakdown the transmission to determine causation prior to (I'm guessing) getting the approval from GM to replace the transmission under warranty, which makes sense. Granted, if anything, I've babied the shit out of this car (i know, i know.. one day the training wheels will come off), I'm very curious to find out from the Tech what was found.

My 2nd gear shift is definately not as smooth as any other gear. Almost feels like I have to push past another layer of resistance, click to get it to engage. Sheez…

My 1st and 2nd gear are a bit notchy, while the rest are smooth. I've only got around 250 miles on mine. I also just thought it was normal for the Tremec.

My M6/BW4 is/was notchy. I took it in this week to introduce it to my local stealership for an oil change. I had them pull up the history of its first 3600 miles before me. No info at all. Had the oil and diff done. Shifts are definitely different now for the better.

My M6/BW4 is/was notchy. I took it in this week to introduce it to my local stealership for an oil change. I had them pull up the history of its first 3600 miles before me. No info at all. Had the oil and diff done. Shifts are definitely different now for the better.
When you say you had the oil done, do you mean gear oil?

When you say you had the oil done, do you mean gear oil?
I will say the notchyness has not completely gone away. There are still moments it isn't smooth like you'd expect. Problem is it isn't consistent. I don't feel as though my driving is different from shift to shift. I don't slam through gears at all. Really I would almost consider myself a lazy shifter meaning I am slow between gears. No difference from cold to operating temps either.

Win 2 Supercharged Cadillacs!

Win both supercharged Cadillac Vs!

Supporting Vendors

Exhibitions of Speed

Signature Wheels

Taput Tunning LLC

V-Series Marketplace

Advertise with the Cadillac V-Net!

Torque Shop

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom