Welcome to the Cadillac V-Series Forums!

Potential new CT4-V Blackwing owner, things to note on delivery?

Hello all

If all goes to plan, I should be picking up a new Blackwing in SoCal and driving it back up to NorCal where I live.

- Are there any specific things I should be checking on during pickup? I'm anal retentive as it is by nature so I'll be going through it w/ a fine toothed comb but want to be aware of things I should be specifically mindful of.
- On the drive home (400+ miles), any thing I should be careful with? I'm curious what is the 'break in' guidance here?

TIA

Hello all

If all goes to plan, I should be picking up a new Blackwing in SoCal and driving it back up to NorCal where I live.

- Are there any specific things I should be checking on during pickup? I'm anal retentive as it is by nature so I'll be going through it w/ a fine toothed comb but want to be aware of things I should be specifically mindful of.
- On the drive home (400+ miles), any thing I should be careful with? I'm curious what is the 'break in' guidance here?

TIA
Any plans for PPF? If so, that's something you'd want to do prior to making the drive. Let me know if you need a rec in SoCal. Where in NorCal?

Hello all

TIA
Break in: For 500 miles don't go above 4k RPM, vary your speed and engine load. Don't track it until after 1500 miles. Change the eLSD gear fluid at 1500 and after first track event. Very good idea to do your first oil change at 500-1500 miles to get rid of all the break in material sloshing around your oil pan.

Things to check:
- Shipping blocks were mentioned.
- Verify the brake cooling ducts for track days are in the trunk. They shouldn't be installed for normal driving because they can feed gravel/rocks into your rotors.
- If they haven't drilled into your front bumper for the license plate holder, make sure they don't install it.
- Check that both your fobs work. There was a rash of people nabbing a fob and stealing the car later.
- During OnStar setup, do not consent to "Smart Driver" where they sell your driving data to Lexus
Nexus who then sells it to your insurance company.
- Ask them to keep the window sticker if you care about that sort of thing.
- Ask that they don't put any dealer marketing on your car- stickers, badges, etc.

Other stuff:
- Extended warranty from GM is probably a good idea even if you plan to sell before it kicks in. It can add resale value. You might be able to shop around at other dealerships as some of them could be offering at a lower price. The GM warranty is usually less hassle to use and covers more things.
- You can probably get the trunk mat or all weather mats for the GM points you get on the purchase. The service department can order them for you.
- You can download your owners manual from here:

Break in: For 500 miles don't go above 4k RPM, vary your speed and engine load. Don't track it until after 1500 miles. Change the eLSD gear fluid at 1500 and after first track event. Very good idea to do your first oil change at 500-1500 miles to get rid of all the break in material sloshing around your oil pan.

Things to check:
- Shipping blocks were mentioned.
- Verify the brake cooling ducts for track days are in the trunk. They shouldn't be installed for normal driving because they can feed gravel/rocks into your rotors.
- If they haven't drilled into your front bumper for the license plate holder, make sure they don't install it.
- Check that both your fobs work. There was a rash of people nabbing a fob and stealing the car later.
- During OnStar setup, do not consent to "Smart Driver" where they sell your driving data to Lexus
Nexus who then sells it to your insurance company.
- Ask them to keep the window sticker if you care about that sort of thing.
- Ask that they don't put any dealer marketing on your car- stickers, badges, etc.

Other stuff:
- Extended warranty from GM is probably a good idea even if you plan to sell before it kicks in. It can add resale value. You might be able to shop around at other dealerships as some of them could be offering at a lower price. The GM warranty is usually less hassle to use and covers more things.
- You can probably get the trunk mat or all weather mats for the GM points you get on the purchase. The service department can order them for you.
- You can download your owners manual from here:
Wow, thanks for the comprehensive list. All great.

Regarding extended warranty, I typically don't do those but perhaps you can enlighten me as to why I might consider it?

Regarding extended warranty, I typically don't do those but perhaps you can enlighten me as to why I might consider it

Regarding extended warranty, I typically don't do those but perhaps you can enlighten me as to why I might consider it?
This thread has some good info on the extended warranty:

Inspect closely for paint imperfections. There have been plenty of cases where paint is sprayed over dirt. Most paint imperfections can be addressed to an extent by a good detailer. If you find issues ask for a lower price or the dealership to cover the cost of polishing and ceramic coating.

Check the wheels as well. All 4 of mine were damaged by the car carrier and had to be repaired.

Is it a stick? If so, you may want to check and make sure it shifts smoothly (other than some notchiness into 2nd). Most are fantastic but there were a few prior reports of bad Tremecs though I haven’t seen any recently.

Paint defects. I used a bright flashlight and spent one hour going over the car and taking photos. CF trim and body parts inspect with flashlight and take photos. I had two damaged trim pieces that were replaced under warranty. Those parts are expensive.
Curious what trim pieces you found damaged? I've chosen a low-optioned model so not a lot of extras to review but all good things to keep in mind.

The insides on all 4 were scratched. The shop I had for the PPF found it. They also found a plastic undercarriage piece that was broken as well. The dealer had their wheel shop come out and repair the wheels while their service dept ordered me the replacement plastic cover.

To be fair this is not a tesla.
There isn't much of a checklist on what to look for before you take delivery. It's a brand new car and in most cases if the dealer is competent it will be a perfect new car :)

I wouldn't bother with an extended warranty until 3 months before warranty expires or 12k miles at the very least. 3 months before original warranty ends is when you become ineligible for extended warranty and 12k miles is when there's a price jump on the extended warranty.

The extended warranty starts from the date of purchase so to maximize the idea is to get it as late as possible or under 12k miles to balance cost.

To be fair this is not a tesla.
There isn't much of a checklist on what to look for before you take delivery. It's a brand new car and in most cases if the dealer is competent it will be a perfect new car :)
THIS. Our last new car was a 2019 Model 3 and the combination of soft paint, panel gaps and the like drove me INSANE. Suffice to say that's the last Tesla that will ever lay tires on my driveway.

I wouldn't bother with an extended warranty until 3 months before warranty expires or 12k miles at the very least. 3 months before original warranty ends is when you become ineligible for extended warranty and 12k miles is when there's a price jump on the extended warranty.

The extended warranty starts from the date of purchase so to maximize the idea is to get it as late as possible or under 12k miles to balance cost.

Price goes up as miles go up, and as time goes by. There are certain thresholds like 12K miles as you said. If you want one, I'd do it sooner rather than later. Shop around as the selling dealer might be very expensive. Todd Sutherland at MacMulkin Chevrolet, Cadillac has some very good prices.

Price goes up as miles go up, and as time goes by. There are certain thresholds like 12K miles as you said. If you want one, I'd do it sooner rather than later. Shop around as the selling dealer might be very expensive. Todd Sutherland at MacMulkin Chevrolet, Cadillac has some very good prices.
Right but the sweet spot is <12k miles and as close to end of warranty.

And I disagree that it adds anything to resale values. Especially not compared to the cost of the warranty itself. And yes +1 on todd!

Win 2 Supercharged Cadillacs!

Win both supercharged Cadillac Vs!

Supporting Vendors

Exhibitions of Speed

Signature Wheels

Taput Tunning LLC

V-Series Marketplace

Advertise with the Cadillac V-Net!

Torque Shop

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom