Welcome to the Cadillac V-Series Forums!

It's been a year now

TL-DR - I am torn between buying a brand new CT5V Blackwing that is 100% owned/spec'd by me and no one else, or a different luxury V8 cruising GT car.

I have to decide if I want to put in an order for a new CT5V, or LC 500. I would like a chance to drive the Lexus before making my decision, but the nearest dealership that has one is 4 hours away 🤦🏻 Thank you for listening to my ramblings.

Here are my thoughts, Nick. You've had the Blackwing before, right? Did it bring you joy? Aside from the issues of being pre-owned and whatnot, did it check all of the boxes?

Everything I've read about the LC500 are positive, and the car looks fabulous, even that huge gaping grill doesn't put me off. What does is the automatic; as long as I have a functional left leg, I'm going to have a manual transmission.

I confess that I have bought a few cars sight-unseen with no test drive. More than half of those ended up with regrets. Since we're talking about well over $100K, perhaps your test drive of the LC could be combined with a romantic weekend getaway?

Rereading my reply, I see that it is not of much help. But really, those are two great choices, and only you can decide.

Here are my thoughts, Nick. You've had the Blackwing before, right? Did it bring you joy? Aside from the issues of being pre-owned and whatnot, did it check all of the boxes?

Everything I've read about the LC500 are positive, and the car looks fabulous, even that huge gaping grill doesn't put me off. What does is the automatic; as long as I have a functional left leg, I'm going to have a manual transmission.

I confess that I have bought a few cars sight-unseen with no test drive. More than half of those ended up with regrets. Since we're talking about well over $100K, perhaps your test drive of the LC could be combined with a romantic weekend getaway?

Rereading my reply, I see that it is not of much help. But really, those are two great choices, and only you can decide.
I agree with what you are saying, and it is helpful to hear it from somebody else other than the voice in the back of my head. I bought a gorgeous Audi R8 2 years ago and planned to keep it forever because I love the sound of a V10. Once I sat in it and drove it for a little bit, I found that my head brushed against the ceiling just a little bit. No matter how much I set the seat I couldn't get it so that I was in a reasonable position and not touching the ceiling. I was so mad, but there's nothing near me to test drive. After that, I did start flying places to test drive cars to see if I fit in them and was comfortable. I think I will try to see about test driving the Lexus, but I'm also a bit frustrated with Cadillac for not having a new configurator and press pictures of the new blackwing in all of the updated colors.

When I did have the 5VBW, I loved the transmission, the sound was pretty good, the torque was awesome, and it was comfortable. I didn't love the touch screen setup that seemed a little dated even when new, and the stereo was a little on the disappointing side. The new model obviously has the refreshed touch screen setup, and other than the slight changes to the exterior, it's mostly the same car. I think I would be pretty happy with it, but I think I will at least go test drive a couple cars before I place my order.

While this is a very strong endorsement, it could also be an indictment of the current car market. 🤷🏻‍♂️
This 💯 (both are true).

I was good for about 2-3 years with a car starting in the late 1990's. Cars kept getting better and which aligned with my work success, so I indulged.

The BW is the pinnacle of automotive engineering for enthusiasts of non-hybrid ICE vehicles. Where we are headed now with all vehicles is analogous with early 1980's emissions; complex, expensive, and middling reliability.

I'm really not interested in any new truck, SUV, or car at this point. I'm good with what I got which is really foreign to me. I used to obsess about new vehicles but the BW (and new car market) took that away.

And I thought that I had terrible impulse control! I've bought and sold a ton of cars and bikes but Nick you take the cake! Thank you for helping me feel better about myself!

Last edited:
The way I see it, there are certain very large items or acquaintances in your life that you can find perfection, or as close to it as possible, and you want to just hang on to it forever and truly believe that this is as good as it gets. I currently feel that way about my wife, my house, and I'm trying to get settled on the "forever car" part of the equation. I'm also considering upgrading my boat again, but to get the new version of it, they are over $300,000 now instead of $150k, so I think I might have to stay put on that one for a little while 😄

I'm also considering upgrading my boat again, but to get the new version of it, they are over $300,000 now instead of $150k, so I think I might have to stay put on that one for a little while 😄

You ain't kiddin... I sold my brand new (35 hrs) Robalo 246 Cayman right before Hurrican Ian. Got what I paid for it minus upgrades... I can't touch the same spec for under $120k. However, if I hadn't sold it, the marina where it was dry-slipped was wiped out and would of be a full loss.. Timing couldn't have been better.

If you include boats in your the vehicle budget, cars may just be a drop in the bucket. :)

Many share the same sentiment as I regarding the BW - there were no choices with 3 pedals, but we're so happy with how it turned out, we aren't sad about the lack of choices in the current market.

The way I see it, there are certain very large items or acquaintances in your life that you can find perfection, or as close to it as possible, and you want to just hang on to it forever and truly believe that this is as good as it gets. I currently feel that way about my wife, my house, and I'm trying to get settled on the "forever car" part of the equation. I'm also considering upgrading my boat again, but to get the new version of it, they are over $300,000 now instead of $150k, so I think I might have to stay put on that one for a little while 😄

A really nice house in our neighborhood went on the market - the wife just loved the in-ground pool, it has a three car attached and two car detached garage, perfect for our cars, my workshop and her pilates studio... but there were some issues with the house, dated kitchen, questionable maintenance, etc. and so we went home with our Realtor since she hasn't seen the house since we bought it... we've changed interior colors, refinished the floors, etc. and she walked through it and said "you don't need to do anything to sell this" and later my wife says "maybe this house doesn't suck so much after all." So I guess we'll keep it.

I'm reminded of this guy I knew who once said "I love my wife. I wouldn't take $10,000 for her. But I wouldn't give you $10 for another one just like her."

I'm not sure how that fits into this discussion. Sometimes we just don't know how good we've got it until it's gone.

A really nice house in our neighborhood went on the market - the wife just loved the in-ground pool, it has a three car attached and two car detached garage, perfect for our cars, my workshop and her pilates studio... but there were some issues with the house, dated kitchen, questionable maintenance, etc. and so we went home with our Realtor since she hasn't seen the house since we bought it... we've changed interior colors, refinished the floors, etc. and she walked through it and said "you don't need to do anything to sell this" and later my wife says "maybe this house doesn't suck so much after all." So I guess we'll keep it.

I'm reminded of this guy I knew who once said "I love my wife. I wouldn't take $10,000 for her. But I wouldn't give you $10 for another one just like her."

I'm not sure how that fits into this discussion. Sometimes we just don't know how good we've got it until it's gone.
"Love the one you're with" seems to fit, haha.

I really like the Lexus I had in the past, LS 430 a great car, and I love that LC500 looks UNTIL...., did not know much about it until this post, that front grill. OOooff that just puts me off the whole car unfortunately.

I really like the Lexus I had in the past, LS 430 a great car, and I love that LC500 looks UNTIL...., did not know much about it until this post, that front grill. OOooff that just puts me off the whole car unfortunately.
Check it out in person. When you see it going down the road it catches your eye and looks quite amazing. Like nothing else on the road, but in a good way.

I am good here! I have the smooth, quiet comfort for touring and when the kids and wife are gone I have Bat-Shit-Crazy sports car! Totally, content with my CT5 V BW and will never sell it because I would need 2 cars to replace it?

I have a 2017 Evora 400 6sp and a 2024 5BW 6sp. If you enjoy your Evora, you will love the 5BW. The Evoras are raw and rowdy while the 5BW seems a little calm and aloof when you first start driving it. Put it in the sportier modes and drive it harder, though, and you start realizing the engineering brilliance. I haven't driven the LC500 but I have driven a GS-F (same engine) and LOVED that car. The 5BW is a whole level or two higher in terms of performance and the Tremec 6sp puts it way above in terms of driving enjoyment for me.
didnt realize there were so much cadillac/lotus ownership overlap here!
1726230781747.png

This is why I am thinking of getting a '25 5VBW, and keeping the Lotus. A great 2 car "toy" garage. Hated to see the Blackwing go. If I do get another, I am thinking maybe Radiant Red, or Typhoon Metallic? 🤔

20240702_125400.jpg
20240630_155829.jpg

Beautiful Evoras, guys! It's fun to be able to have such wildly different performance cars in the same stable. I think the crossover between the Evora and Blackwing would be that in their respective classes, they are the most engaging and driver focused. Also, they are both sort of left field choices which has its own cool factor.

I'll make some assumptions that the interior detailing of the Lexus is part of the appeal for the OP. So, factoring that PLUS the mention of wanting a GT-cruiser and (maybe) a bit of a value play...I'll suggest you look at the 2018-2021 Mercedes S-Class Coupe or Cabrio. WOW there are some stunning interior combinations--and many have 'little old lady' mileage levels.
Best wishes as you move on to your next experience.

So I am a notorious car flipper, as I believe the BW is #64 (this does not include motorcycles). Which is, yes, ridiculous and wasteful and has ben a very expensive hobby, but I've enjoyed many if not most of my cars. But I am quite famous - or infamous - among my friends and coworkers for being quite fickle and I'm always able to find something newer/shinier/different to buy.

This month is my one year anniversary for the mighty CT5-V Blackwing, properly equipped with three pedals. People ask me if I still like it, how do I like it, etc. and the answer is consistently, "yes" and "I love it". It is everything I've ever wanted in a car, all in one package. If I had to complain about anything, it would be the road noise, but I've had worse and it's not so bad that I'm actively looking for a solution, and really if the road surface is decent then the noise isn't so bad.

And I hate to write this for superstitious fear of it coming back to bite me, but this car has been basically trouble-free in the year that I've owned it. I've put a mere 5600 miles on it, because I work from home 2 days a week and we usually take the wife's SUV product on our road trips, simply because it can haul more crap. We (she) don't travel light.

Anyway... I probably would not have bought the car if not for the overall good responses from people on this forum, and so I thank you all for that. And unlike some other car forums (<cough>Porsche<cough>) you aren't a bunch of arrogant a-holes nor a group of (<cough>BMW<cough>) self-indulgent narcissistic pretentious yuppie larva.

I jest. There are plenty of fine people who own Porsches and BMW. And they are fine cars. They're just not Blackwings. As I frequently remind my wife (who is still amazed that I still love the car after all this time) it is the Cadillac of cars.
OP, have you ever owned the 2020+ GT500?
this is what i currently drive ( not as much as id like ) , so i am always curious about the 5BW as a better daily and as a comparison. I have recently driven and z06 and it blew my mind but i fear i wouldnt drive that as much as well.

If you have comparisons between these vehicles id love to hear your opinions on it

This is why I am thinking of getting a '25 5VBW, and keeping the Lotus. A great 2 car "toy" garage. Hated to see the Blackwing go. If I do get another, I am thinking maybe Radiant Red, or Typhoon Metallic? 🤔
Why did you part with your Black Blackwing?

Why did you part with your Black Blackwing?

It was black, and I told myself black was a bad idea. I also was thinking that I wanted to buy new for the peace of mind of knowing that I broke it in properly and got it PPF'd and all of that. The other thing would be the Spring Mountain academy trip that you get when you buy it new that I didn't receive. I was thinking also that I would prefer the updated screen on the '25, and possibly CCB's because I can't stand brake dust and washing wheels.

It was black, and I told myself black was a bad idea. I also was thinking that I wanted to buy new for the peace of mind of knowing that I broke it in properly and got it PPF'd and all of that. The other thing would be the Spring Mountain academy trip that you get when you buy it new that I didn't receive. I was thinking also that I would prefer the updated screen on the '25, and possibly CCB's because I can't stand brake dust and washing wheels.
All good reasons. I think red would go great with the Lotus.

Win 2 Supercharged Cadillacs!

Win both supercharged Cadillac Vs!

Supporting Vendors

Exhibitions of Speed

Signature Wheels

Taput Tunning LLC

V-Series Marketplace

Advertise with the Cadillac V-Net!

Torque Shop

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom