Welcome to the Cadillac V-Series Forums!

Oil Level Issue? Please help

Hawt Wing

V-Series Cadillac(s)?
2023 CT4-V Blackwing
Hello! I recently got a warning light for low oil.
CONTEXT:
-2023 CT4-V Blackwing manual
15000 miles on it. It had an oil change at 5k, and at 10k because I like to go in early with these things.
I checked the dip stick after I got the low oil message and there was nothing, not even touching the bottom of the stick. I then waited a full night (manual says at least 2 hours) and now its barely touching the bottom of the dip stick. The oil life monitor is at 38%. I can't wrap my head around the car consuming that much oil in 5k miles. Has anyone run into this issue? Thoughts? Concerns?

If you’re not the one that changed oil, is it possible that the dealer or whom ever have used the wrong oil?

It's also possible that the car wasn't quite filled up when the oil was last changed, and just normal consumption has caused it to fall below the minimum.

FWIW back when I had a <fill in the blank> BMW that consumed copious quantities of oil, I did a little research and BMW considered consumption of a quart of oil every 1000 miles to be within normal acceptable parameters. OK, maybe it wasn't 1000 miles, but it wasn't much, and some engines are just designed to consume a bit. I suspect that these days with more stringent emissions requirements, and improved manufacturing tolerances, that it's less common.

I would top-off the oil and monitor it carefully. Odds are, it's nothing to worry about.

It's also possible that the car wasn't quite filled up when the oil was last changed, and just normal consumption has caused it to fall below the minimum.

FWIW back when I had a <fill in the blank> BMW that consumed copious quantities of oil, I did a little research and BMW considered consumption of a quart of oil every 1000 miles to be within normal acceptable parameters. OK, maybe it wasn't 1000 miles, but it wasn't much, and some engines are just designed to consume a bit. I suspect that these days with more stringent emissions requirements, and improved manufacturing tolerances, that it's less common.

I would top-off the oil and monitor it carefully. Odds are, it's nothing to worry about.
BMW also helpfully would alert you that your oil was low AFTER it was already too low (based on their rather aggressive warning messages). At least that was the experience I had with mine. What's the point of an oil monitoring system if you don't get some notice *before* it's critical? I started carrying a quart of oil with me in the trunk when I had my BMW.

BMW also helpfully would alert you that your oil was low AFTER it was already too low (based on their rather aggressive warning messages). At least that was the experience I had with mine. What's the point of an oil monitoring system if you don't get some notice *before* it's critical? I started carrying a quart of oil with me in the trunk when I had my BMW.

For those old enough to remember, and who had a BMW, and who read the forums, there was a terrible outcry back in the day (90s?) when BMW started relying on their oil level sensor and removed the physical dipstick that for some reason still remains in the Cadillac (at least in the LT4). So you had no choice but to rely on the unreliable electronic sensor. And later model cars no longer show you the actual level (it used to have a picture of what a dipstick might look like with the oil level shown) and now they just report "OK". OK as in full, or OK as in you should add a quart now before it gets too low? The last time I had a warning on a BMW that my oil was too low, it was down two quarts. Geez. :hb

For those old enough to remember, and who had a BMW, and who read the forums, there was a terrible outcry back in the day (90s?) when BMW started relying on their oil level sensor and removed the physical dipstick that for some reason still remains in the Cadillac (at least in the LT4). So you had no choice but to rely on the unreliable electronic sensor. And later model cars no longer show you the actual level (it used to have a picture of what a dipstick might look like with the oil level shown) and now they just report "OK". OK as in full, or OK as in you should add a quart now before it gets too low? The last time I had a warning on a BMW that my oil was too low, it was down two quarts. Geez. :hb
My M2 is still like that... and that's only from 2017

If you’re not the one that changed oil, is it possible that the dealer or whom ever have used the wrong oil?
It was done at Cadillac, but that's my fear, maybe they used some cheap stuff. Or worse...they just didn't fill it all the way after draining the old oil... We're having fun.

It was done at Cadillac, but that's my fear, maybe they used some cheap stuff. Or worse...they just didn't fill it all the way after draining the old oil... We're having fun.

I surely don't wish cast aspersions on your Cadillac dealer, who I'm sure employs only factory trained & certified technicians with 20+ years of experience. But. On the Corvette forums, I remember all kinds of complaints about how the dealers would over-fill or under-fill cars because they didn't know the difference between a base car and a Z06 (dry sump) or where to fill it. I would, unfortunately, not trust my local dealer who, AFAIK, has never sold a Blackwing and has probably serviced even fewer.

Maybe the dealer thought it was a CT4V with the 2.7L, which takes 6 quarts instead of 7? Hopefully they used the correct filter as well. FWIW, it sounds like you are about a quart low if the oil is just touching the bottom of the dipstick. Buy a quart of 5w30 Dexos1 and top it off.

I change my own oil and if I let it drain fully, it takes all 7 quarts to get it to full reading on the dipstick.

Screenshot 2024-10-04 at 7.58.21 PM.png

C'mon Hawt Wing, you know how awful GM dealers are. Mine's at 13k and I've had the dealer do the free oil change at 1,500 and then did my own at 5k and ~9k with good Motul stuff. It's actually a bit tricky to find the right stuff that is GM rated. Motul 111362 is the 5L size. Oil changes on these things take ~20 minutes, I just went to Eric's house and used his little lift. If you want I'll meet you there and do it with you and hang out.

I was not aware of that. But that is entirely consistent with my BMW experience--very frustrating.

C'mon Hawt Wing, you know how awful GM dealers are. Mine's at 13k and I've had the dealer do the free oil change at 1,500 and then did my own at 5k and ~9k with good Motul stuff. It's actually a bit tricky to find the right stuff that is GM rated. Motul 111362 is the 5L size. Oil changes on these things take ~20 minutes, I just went to Eric's house and used his little lift. If you want I'll meet you there and do it with you and hang out.
I will definitely take you and Eric up on that offer. I was really not expecting this problem with this car, but it all makes sense. 🙂🙃

Win 2 Supercharged Cadillacs!

Win both supercharged Cadillac Vs!

Supporting Vendors

Exhibitions of Speed

Signature Wheels

Taput Tunning LLC

V-Series Marketplace

Advertise with the Cadillac V-Net!

Torque Shop

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom