Welcome to the Cadillac V-Series Forums!

New CT5-V Blackwing Owner - First thoughts and impressions

Lawineer

V-Series Cadillac(s)?
2022 CT5 Blackwing
I just got this car and I'm really enjoying it. A few highlights and low-lights after 2.5 days.
It's an M6 with carbon seats and carbon interior, super low miles (4k)

Highs:
Engine. Duh. Nuff said.
Build quality is surprisingly good. It's solid, the interior is awesome. Vented seats actually a good amount of air.
Transmission feels good. Clutch feels good. Even the shifter feels great. That's all there.
Ergonomics are vastly better than my AMG, which it will likely replace. Also better than new MB's, which I had for 5.5 months as a loaner (which is also why it's likely replacing the AMG). I imagine I'll get used to it, but I really miss the rev match paddles like my C7 had. I also don't really like the "next song" button locations on the steering wheel, but I'm nit picking. Overall, great.
Suspension: Everyone needs to stop fucking around with the air shocks and everything else they do and just go mag ride. It's so much better than everything at everything except for maybe 100% track use.
Sound: No road or wind noise. Love it.
It doesn't feel as heavy as I expected. Not sure how to better explain this.

Mixed bag & TBD:
Stereo is meh.
I feel like I'm struggling to find a comfortable seating position?
Brakes are great, but not a whole lot of feel.

Lows:
I can't tell if it struggles to put power down or if it's just that much power, but I seem to break traction in the rear a lot. It definitely does not like power + steering angle. Maybe it's an alignment issue?
Steering sucks. Ratio is way too wide. You turn the wheel way too much. It's completely disjointed. Steering feel also sucks.
Turning radius is a joke. lol wtf.
and I'm sure I'm not the first one to bring this up, but the sound. The exhaust and supercharger need to be louder. A lot louder. I'm shocked at how much this takes away from the experience and enjoyment of the car. I want to hear that blower scream when I get it on it. It has a valved exhaust so why not let it sing a little louder?

Other:
I feel like it needs more tire all around. Like 295 up front and a lot more in the rear.
I definitely wish it looked a little more aggressive, but it is what it is. It doesn't look different enough from a base CT5 nor aggressive enough, but that's just me. Maybe bigger fenders or sportier wheels would do it? That's pretty subjective so I put it under Other.

Track:
This space reserved. I was going to take it today, but I didn't feel like doing pads and fluids. I'll do it next week and post a video. I assume the tires will get greasy after 2 laps and my report will be "idk, tires got too greasy before I could figure anything out, switch over to race car after 1 session." I didn't get it for the track, so I doubt it will see more than 2 sessions in its lifetime.

For reference, I'm mostly comparing this against my GLE63, which is an SUV, and should score considerably worse in most of the categories.

Last edited:
Mostly consistent with my experience after 19 months from new.

-It's loud on the outside, there's just a lot of sound deadening. I'm sure aftermarket intake/exhaust could fix the issue, but it will wake the dead.
-My wife insists the suspension is "jerky" and I have no idea why. Maybe it's the swaybars over lower-speed single-wheel impacts? Because otherwise it rides amazingly well and everyone seems to agree on that.
-I feel like the steering is completely fine, but agree the turning radius is a constant hassle. Somehow my previous Civic Type R was just as bad. But I'm glad it has all these cameras because it's a pain to maneuver.
-Agree somewhat on the traction, but I find when out on nice backroads the diff does a good job of getting the power down. The tires being warm helps quite a bit.
-What caused your AMG to be in the shop for 5.5 months? Before the BW came out I was planning to get an E63S Wagon, but I'm glad I didn't.

Welcome to the club!

RE Track: You only need to change the brake fluid. The OEM brake pads are up to track abuse. Unlike many other "performance" vehicles, the 5BW is track-ready straight out of the box (except the brake fluid). I've had mine twice at Carolina Motorsports Park (eats brake pads) & twice at Virginia International Raceway In Advanced & Super Advanced Grp (open passing for both) & had no issues.

Welcome to the club!

RE Track: You only need to change the brake fluid. The OEM brake pads are up to track abuse. Unlike many other "performance" vehicles, the 5BW is track-ready straight out of the box (except the brake fluid). I've had mine twice at Carolina Motorsports Park (eats brake pads) & twice at Virginia International Raceway In Advanced & Super Advanced Grp (open passing for both) & had no issues.
I was wondering about this, as I want to take mine but my home track, Laguna Seca, is hard on brakes. What fluid did you use? Are you on steels?

I was wondering about this, as I want to take mine but my home track, Laguna Seca, is hard on brakes. What fluid did you use? Are you on steels?
CMP is VERY hard on brakes & probably not unlike LS in that regard. I'm on steelies & had no issues with Castrol SRF Brake Fluid. (Remember to disconnect the battery & DO NOT CLOSE THE TRUNK when you change the brake fluid. Also, put the windows down before doing anything so in case you accidentally close the trunk, you can still get into the trunk from the back seat to reconnect the battery since you won't be able to open the door from the outside sans power.)

disconnect battery when doing brake fluid?

Mostly consistent with my experience after 19 months from new.

-It's loud on the outside, there's just a lot of sound deadening. I'm sure aftermarket intake/exhaust could fix the issue, but it will wake the dead.
-My wife insists the suspension is "jerky" and I have no idea why. Maybe it's the swaybars over lower-speed single-wheel impacts? Because otherwise it rides amazingly well and everyone seems to agree on that.
-I feel like the steering is completely fine, but agree the turning radius is a constant hassle. Somehow my previous Civic Type R was just as bad. But I'm glad it has all these cameras because it's a pain to maneuver.
-Agree somewhat on the traction, but I find when out on nice backroads the diff does a good job of getting the power down. The tires being warm helps quite a bit.
-What caused your AMG to be in the shop for 5.5 months? Before the BW came out I was planning to get an E63S Wagon, but I'm glad I didn't.

The shop is the reason it was in the shop so long. I had a 3rd party warranty and they TWICE tried to get it voided so they could screw me on rates (they tried to bill me above book time). When the inspector was there checking out the front air shock, they mentioned to him that I had a tune for no reason and then tried to get me to pay for out of pocket when they still covered the repairs.

They let it sit for 5 months, aside from the occasional start up to move it around, and it killed both batteries. Too bad.

I got it back and it had to go right back in the next day, on top of all that. I literally drove to the office and bought a Blackwing that day. It's also just annoying waiting for stupid parts forever. Other gripes are that they do stupid things like turn a $6 vent hose into a $125 hard line with quick connects for some stupid fucking reason. Which is great, in a hot twin turbo engine bay, where the hard plastic grows brittle.

Their general attitude is "You're going to complain? Surely not- what are you, poor?"

It's an amazing vehicle when it's right though. Honestly, a perfect daily driver. Everything is perfect- when it's right. Downpipes, intake, tune got me around 825hp, so that helps. I was actually expecting to get the shock and AC fixed and get a new GLE63 or E63. Saved $50k and I dont have to deal with their bullshit.

One of my close friends also owns a well known/reputable LS/LT tuner shop, so modding will be easy. Like, hey, come over for dinner, take the car and bring it back over when you're done. I'll probably do a lid, headers, tune, etc in a bit.

edit: Re e-Diff. That might honestly be it. It might be the tune on that. It just steps out way too hard for having such little steering angle.

Last edited:
Welcome to the club!

Eh, I'm not looking to find out at 140mph. Brake fade on street pads sucks. It's a very steep drop off. I'll also probably drain half the coolant and fill with distilled water and water wetter or something.

disconnect battery when doing brake fluid?

Eh, I'm not looking to find out at 140mph. Brake fade on street pads sucks
This is me at VIR in the 5BW. Wasn't even pushing it hard & also braking way early at the end of the back straight. No brake fade at all even with using the brakes too much per lap --

But you be you & if changing to a more aggressive brake pad gives you more confidence at the track, then do it.

Eh, I'm not looking to find out at 140mph. Brake fade on street pads sucks. It's a very steep drop off. I'll also probably drain half the coolant and fill with distilled water and water wetter or something.
Most of us have done spring mountain (SM) and other bigger tracks, the OEM pads are up to the task. Same with coolant, SM abuses these cars in the desert summer without issue.

This is me at VIR in the 5BW. Wasn't even pushing it hard & also braking way early at the end of the back straight. No brake fade at all even with using the brakes too much per lap --

But you be you & if changing to a more aggressive brake pad gives you more confidence at the track, then do it.
Hard to gauge a car I haven't driven on track through a video of a track I've only driven on a sim, but I think I'm a lot more aggressive, especially on brakes. Also, VIR gives a lot of cool down time between hard stops. My home track has a lot of hard braking zones closer together.

(this is almost a year ago, I'm about 1 sec faster now, but it shows you the track. That's a 185whp car with aero so it doesn't brake that hard. Wish I had a video of the viper on it).

I already got Carbotech race pads, so might as well use them. Even if OEM doesn't fade, they'll definitely smear across the rotor and that sucks.

Most of us have done spring mountain (SM) and other bigger tracks, the OEM pads are up to the task. Same with coolant, SM abuses these cars in the desert summer without issue.
I did SM in a C7. That's definitely not a hard track on brakes with the layout we did (I'm pretty sure, intentionally). They didn't run OEM pads in the C7 either, IIRC. Almost certain they ran hawk race pads. Are you sure they ran OEM pads in the BW?

I really have to wonder sometimes about people’s hearing.

If you praise the quietness of the interior and also complain the exhaust isn’t loud enough I just…. Don’t understand how you could ever be happy.

The exhaust is loud as fuck. It’s louder than my V3 with a billy boat cat back. Its just… you have to hear the car from the outside.

Also, pretty funny because I’m also a 5v 6MT owner… AND a GLE63S owner just like you! I ripped the suitcase resonator off that thing and it sounds better than my BW lol

Last edited:
First, congrats and welcome to the forum!

Second, I concur with Mr. Coffee (time). Except for the GLE thing, I don't care for SUVs or Mercedes.

Third, yeah, turning radius. It won't get any better with bigger tires, I promise. ;)

Fourth, I think the seats are great. You just gotta figure out what setting works for you.

Steering feel bad?
Certainly not a complaint of mine - I think it’s amazing, frankly - nor of the majority of car journalists and bloggers who have reviewed the CT5 Blackwing, many of whom even praise the steering feel specifically.
And these are folks who drive lots of cars a year, dozens, maybe even hundreds, including other super sedans and sports cars.
Still, a subjective thing, I guess, so the original poster’s opinion is what it is, with me posting this so that anyone coming across this thread while researching whether or not to get a BW will know that “bad” steering is not a common complaint.
Unlike bad turning circle.
Now that is 100% objective truth - it sucks!

Might want to have the alignment checked, could be your steering feel issue. My 22 ZL1 always felt ok but after having the alignment checked and set as was off a few hairs it made a huge difference i never would have believed it.

I drove the car a bit last night. I feel like I’m driving a car with a solid locker in the rear around turns. Almost any throttle and it wants to step out. Is that normal?

A) what psi are you running?
B) what is the ambient temp?
C) what mode are you driving in?

I'm in Texas south of you and run 32psi with all nannies off. Yes it will go sideways very, very easily, but it will also put the power down decently with a little discretion. You are coming from a huge heavy AWD SUV and the 5BW has a ton of power to go through just 2 wheels.

A) what psi are you running?
B) what is the ambient temp?
C) what mode are you driving in?

I'm in Texas south of you and run 32psi with all nannies off. Yes it will go sideways very, very easily, but it will also put the power down decently with a little discretion. You are coming from a huge heavy AWD SUV and the 5BW has a ton of power to go through just 2 wheels.
Sure, I get that, but it’s not the only car I’ve driven. Heck I have the viper that has 1300lb rear springs and solid bushings. It’s got more tire but it’s got a lot less weight and a mechanical, not electronic, diff.

Win 2 Supercharged Cadillacs!

Win both supercharged Cadillac Vs!

Supporting Vendors

Exhibitions of Speed

Signature Wheels

Taput Tunning LLC

V-Series Marketplace

Advertise with the Cadillac V-Net!

Torque Shop

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom