Welcome to the Cadillac V-Series Forums!

CT4-V Muffler delete + Downpipes? Anyone do this?

Cadillac CT4-V model

XTRMLN

Seasoned Member
V-Series Cadillac(s)?
224BW
I have done the muffler delete on my 22 4BW. I found vids of muffler delete and of down pipes catted and no cat. None of both mods though. Anyone done delete with DP’s?
The delete definitely helped but still not enough for me. I’m thinking of trying tapout’s catted pipes with the delete but it’s an unknown for me. I still have the valves on the tips so a part of me is thinking about catless and just using touring on starts in the neighborhood. I’m good with loud just not obnoxious. I came from a pretty loud setup on my Aprilia V4 (best sound ever). The car is just still too quiet for me.
Also anyone do the DP’s and live with the codes? I’ll get it tuned, just not for a while. I have the JB4 so I can clear the codes but curious does it just constantly throw the code over and over or is it once a drive kind of thing? Also my mechanic was talking about some sort of way to spoof the car to not trip codes anyone have any luck doing that?

Back when I was cool (99 Civic Si days, I was 21, when we were kings) we had o2 simulators.. These little black boxes had a few wires that spliced into the o2 sensor, and threw a sweeping A/F signal that fooled the ECU to think the cat was scrubbing and doing its job, even when it wasnt there anymore. Do they still make such a thing, and how much does the computer adjust A/F throughput these cars based on those o2 feedback reading?

The gov't got hold of the O2 sim folks and fined them out of existence.

I don't think it's so much about exhaust pollution at this point than it is about noise pollution and/or the government restricting people's actions.

Tapout's downpipes with the hollow chamber resonators sound AMAZING on these cars. They increase turbo spool sounds, and add some exhaust 'bite' with zero drone.

Oxygen sensor spoof devices do not work on these cars. However, there are several solutions for the catalyst inefficiency codes. We explain all the details on this page:

Just curious - but why do the catted DPs also throw codes?

I'd love to get these (catted) but Virginia emissions can be a bear. I'd hate to invest only to find i can't pass emissions. My Audi (even without cats) never had a problem for some reason - but the GTI is always an issue forcing me to run through hoops with much anxiety every other year (even with remoted O2 sensors).

I'd love to get these (catted) but Virginia emissions can be a bear. I'd hate to invest only to find i can't pass emissions. My Audi (even without cats) never had a problem for some reason - but the GTI is always an issue forcing me to run through hoops with much anxiety every other year (even with remoted O2 sensors).
Most catted DPs for any platform will still set a CEL unless they use expensive EPA/GESI cats with a higher cell count, which costs $$$. Not all catted DPs are created equally.

Most catted DPs for any platform will still set a CEL unless they use expensive EPA/GESI cats with a higher cell count, which costs $$$. Not all catted DPs are created equally.
Yeah I guess I kind of knew that. Funny how my Audi never threw codes ( APR programming probably turns them off - but never an issue with VA emissions) but GTI (also APR) forces me to return to stock program to pass emissions (and I always then dealt with codes....had to hit testing at just the right sweet spot....usually taking multiple attempts). so yeah... You would think the ECU programming could be set to take into account the greater flow of larger DPs.....dunnoh (I'm no engineer)

You would think the ECU programming could be set to take into account the greater flow of larger DPs.....dunnoh (I'm no engineer)
It's no problem doing custom tuning for aftermarket downpipes. Tapout Tuning is the innovator and leader in this area and this is what we do every day.

It's no problem doing custom tuning for aftermarket downpipes. Tapout Tuning is the innovator and leader in this area and this is what we do every day.

Good to know...maybe next year or so. In the meantime I'll be installing the MAF and ported TB and am looking forward to the (significant) gains just from those modest upgrades.

Good to know...maybe next year or so. In the meantime I'll be installing the MAF and ported TB and am looking forward to the (significant) gains just from those modest upgrades.
Nice! I’m getting the TB and the cat less DP’s next week. I’ll just deal with clearing codes with my JB4 until I buck up for the full tune. Hoping it won’t be too annoying with constant Cel’s. I still have a hard time believing no one can come up with a work around for the o2 sensor. Per Wont tap I understand that the mini cats I ordered won’t work but oh well.

Catted DPs can throw codes because there’s a O2 sensor before the cat and one after. Talking from experience with the B8 S4. These sensors operate at a wide bandwidth allowing them to predict readings relative to each other. Not only is the reading important, but also the timing of what they expect to see is critical. A small variation in the timing of the gas flow throws a code.

I ran my B8 S4 with catless long tube headers, APR tune, and Milltek exhaust and developed a method to show readiness for a window of around 40m. I drove around with my laptop connected to the OBDII port and could time my entry into the testing station. It took me about 30 tries of different settings and driving methods to develop the process. For this to work, I had to temporarily install mini cats on the downstream O2 sensor. I’m an engineer and very good at working out puzzles. To my knowledge, I was the only one to have figured this out for this catless configuration on the B8.

That being said, in the end the juice wasn’t worth the squeeze and would never do this again with another car. The exhaust note was the best I’ve heard from any V6 and absolutely zero raspiness. But the whole process was a PITA. As you probably know you have to raise the engine up off the mounts to take the exhaust manifolds on and off.

Last edited:
Nice! I’m getting the TB and the cat less DP’s next week. I’ll just deal with clearing codes with my JB4 until I buck up for the full tune. Hoping it won’t be too annoying with constant Cel’s. I still have a hard time believing no one can come up with a work around for the o2 sensor. Per Wont tap I understand that the mini cats I ordered won’t work but oh well.
You can always use the DTC Assassin if you're looking for a quick and easy way to clear the Check Engine light.

Wow Rubberduck...I wish I had your knowledge/skills (I'm not even close....I do know how to push pedals and turn wheels though...)

If you were to go back in time and do your tuning process all over again, would you still start with the JB4 module or go straight for the HP tuners unlock & tune?

I enjoy the concept of a removable JB4, but worry about reliability.

If you were to go back in time and do your tuning process all over again, would you still start with the JB4 module or go straight for the HP tuners unlock & tune?

I enjoy the concept of a removable JB4, but worry about reliability.
To be honest I don’t think I would do the JB4 again. Although it will be helpful in deleting the codes I get once I install the downpipes. Though the assassin would be a cheaper and quicker option. To be clear I have done the air filters, cold plugs and exhaust delete only so far. I don’t notice any difference running the car with the JB4 connected vs it not connected. I am not familiar with the JB4 before this. I’m assuming if you don’t connect it through the app each time you start up that the car is running stock. This is what I’m referencing. There seems to be no difference connected or not to me. At this point I’m sort of getting the mods I want in preparation of getting the full tune done with HP so once I get it the car is set to be tuned instead of ordering parts and needing installed after to tune. Lol I say this but I got the car almost a year ago and now I’m trying to decide if I want to pay it off and trade in for the 5VBW but the issues of some motors not being reliable makes me hesitant on that.
I come from road racing motorcycles and am a complete horsepower junkie. I may have to just deal with the fact that unless I drop a couple 100k on a car I may never get what I want for power out of a vehicle with four wheels. I was hoping to at least get the 4BW to a tolerable level without compromising too much on reliability. Hope this helps. Also I have no idea if there are any changes to do on the JB4 for the TB and Dp’s but I’m assuming probably not. If there are and it made a difference it could change my above opinion.

@XTRMLN

Thank you for your insights.

I have the green filters installed as well and an exhaust kit on pre-order from crest. Next steps after that are a ported TB, colder plugs, and eventually some resonated downpipes. I am leaning towards a dedicated unlock & tune, although the ability to remove the JB4 would be sweet.

If the 5BW wasn't a risk to own brand new, I would absolutely go upgrade as well. Plus, you get a brand new warranty (which has absolutely saved my ass on this car once already).

-----
On a side note, I have seen guys on here adjusting their fuel bias and boost settings in the JB4 app in order to support their mods. I would reach out to Tapout to confirm what adjustments are recommended for your preferred fuel and modifications

Just wanted to report back. Just got my downpipes and TB installed. Now this car is how I want it!!! Butt dyno notices a significant difference and the car sounds amazing. The exhaust delete wasn’t enough and I don’t think the DP’s by themselves would have been enough. I think this combo is the sweet spot! I’ll attach a clip of the cold start in my mode. I’ll probably let it normally start in my garage in tour now for the neighbors. Just a tiny bit of drone for like a 500rpm range right at 3k but the car never seems to sit there. It’s nice to have tour to keep it civilised when I want. In tour it just barely louder than stock. Turbo sounds are noticeable now!

Last edited:

Win 2 Supercharged Cadillacs!

Win both supercharged Cadillac Vs!

Supporting Vendors

Exhibitions of Speed

Signature Wheels

Taput Tunning LLC

V-Series Marketplace

Advertise with the Cadillac V-Net!

Torque Shop

Our Partners

Back