Welcome to the Cadillac V-Series Forums!

Alarm goes off for no reason.

There was a dealership (Dodge) somewhere and the cars weren't even parked near the fobs, which are locked in a box. They have electronics that can fool the security system that the fob is in the car and then drive away. These thieves today always have an answer on how to bypass the factory systems.

Today I saw the same notification on my phone app. When the alarm went off, I was about to run out of the house in my underwear with my Sig 9mm ! I hope this does not become a common occurrence.
Hey, is that a 9mm or are you just happy to see me?

With regard to traveling... Toyota does something that I wish other manufacturers would do. They have a simple button press sequence (press and hold Lock, then press Unlock twice while Lock still held, look for fob to flash four times) that disables the key, no need for Faraday pouch. Wish others would figure this out. (If they have, I haven't noticed.)

Sure... but then, how do you enable the fob?

Relay attacks still happen but it's getting more common for thieves to just add a key via OBDII port. Takes all of 30 seconds and as soon as it's plugged in it disables the alarm. OBDII lockout or kits that you install where the port is located that will send power to their programming device but doest connect to the CANBUS are the ways to mitigate that method.

Relay attacks still happen but it's getting more common for thieves to just add a key via OBDII port. Takes all of 30 seconds and as soon as it's plugged in it disables the alarm. OBDII lockout or kits that you install where the port is located that will send power to their programming device but doest connect to the CANBUS are the ways to mitigate that method.

This is a bit of an epidemic in the SS world right now. Vehicles getting stolen right out of the driveway, with practically no time to react. Alarm goes off, car starts, car is gone forever, all in seconds.

My BMW F30 and E90 used to do this. For the F30, it was the windshield screen I put up in the summer (gets hot AF). It was interfering with the security for some reason. On the E90, the hood latch sensor was broken, so it thought the hood was being opened while locked and would set off the alarm. If the Blackwings have the same thing, try taping it down and see if that solves the issue.

Sure... but then, how do you enable the fob?

It's very complicated: You press the Unlock button, and the car unlocks. :)

Seriously, once you disable the fob the way I described, you're only disabling the remote sensing/broadcasting capability of the fob. The key fob still works like a normal remote fob, in which you have to manually press the button to unlock the car. Could not be easier.

Oh, once you unlock the car again in this way the key fob then reverts to its normal behavior (remote sensing, allowing passive unlocking), it functions normally again. The simple act of manually unlocking the car (physically pressing the key fob unlock button) re-enables the passive unlocking.

Last edited:
This thread has hijacked itself into a theft topic. No pun intended. There are two well-known protections against car theft: The first is to lock the car. Seriously, in my town the most common method of stealing a car is to walk up, get in, and drive off (because people leave the fob in it, or warm it up in the winter).

The second is what we call a passive system, because you don't have to do anything, is to equip your car with a manual transmission. That will stop 99% of all millennial car thieves. :chuckle

This thread has hijacked itself into a theft topic. No pun intended. There are two well-known protections against car theft: The first is to lock the car. Seriously, in my town the most common method of stealing a car is to walk up, get in, and drive off (because people leave the fob in it, or warm it up in the winter).

The second is what we call a passive system, because you don't have to do anything, is to equip your car with a manual transmission. That will stop 99% of all millennial car thieves. :chuckle

Or be in a place where theft isn't an issue. I grew up in a very small town, and I get laughed at when I go back and I lock my car. No need to lock your car (or your house, if you were to leave for a week) there.

We lived in the country and sometimes we'd go to town for shopping or whatever. Once in a while we would come back and there would be a package on the seat of the car. UPS guy, if he saw our car, thought it was easier to just leave the package in our car, saved him a little driving.

Win 2 Supercharged Cadillacs!

Win both supercharged Cadillac Vs!

Supporting Vendors

Exhibitions of Speed

Signature Wheels

Taput Tunning LLC

V-Series Marketplace

Advertise with the Cadillac V-Net!

Torque Shop

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom