Welcome to the Cadillac V-Series Forums!

Advice for prospective buyer

Hi all,

I'm in the market for a fun, manual 4-door that can fit 2 car seats. So far I've narrowed it down to either a 5 Blackwing or a G80 M3. Although I'm 99% sure I'll end up in a Blackwing.

Does anyone have any advice on purchasing a new or gently-used 5 Blackwing? This is the most expensive vehicle that we've considered purchasing to date so I feel a little out of my element in regards to what is a realistic expectation for pricing.

To those of you that have bought a CPO from a Cadillac dealership, did you take it to get PPI elsewhere before purchasing it or did you trust them to get it all handled in house since it was a CPO vehicle?

Any further advice from an owner's perspective? I'm trying not too worry too much about the whole LT4 sepuku issues since it seems like it's a somewhat rare occurence, but any warning signs you'd recommend I keep an eye out for?

Thanks in advance! Hope to be part of this forum as an owner in the near future.

First of all, hats off on the username. If you want to be on the Ace timeline, pick the Blackwing, and smoke me a kipper.

Secondly, CPO can be a bit hit-or-miss depending on the dealership. Let's just say they're incentivized for the car to check all the items on that checklist. Primary value of CPO is usually the warranty extension, so you are protected if something does go wrong. If you can find someone who will do a PPI and the dealer will let you do it, it might be worth it to have the PPI for peace of mind. Otherwise, at least ask to see the CPO inspection checklist, the service history (to make sure services were done at the required intervals), ask if they did (or can do) an oil analysis.

Lastly, in terms of common issues, I haven't seen or experienced a whole lot. My '22 had sketchy paint from the factory so I would examine that closely in person to make sure it is acceptable to you. As for the LT4 issues, seems you won't know about those until they happen - but an oil analysis to check for any shavings will at least alert you to a problem that's already in progress.

I cross shopped mine with a G80 Jahre M3 Comp XDrive and it wasn't even close; the Blackwing is special. Assuming you're going manual of course...!

Thanks! It's always nice to find a fellow fan, I haven't met many people IRL who have even heard of Red Dwarf.

I'm glad that I asked, I hadn't even thought of asking for an oil analysis! I'll definitely keep that in mind when looking at pre-owned ones. Although seeing how high the dealer asking prices are is starting to make me want to just bite the bullet and go new. I'll see how things go looking at used first though. There is an electric blue '22 near the bay area and a red '23 in Nevada that aren't too far away from me so I might try to go look at them soon.

Any specific areas where your paint is sketchy? I've had a bunch of Fords with QC issues, so not too surprised GM also has them.

Yeah, I'm only interested in manual! I'm trying to primarily focus on the driving experience, because it seems like QC and after-sales dealer service experience the M3 is going to win hands down.

Thanks! It's always nice to find a fellow fan, I haven't met many people IRL who have even heard of Red Dwarf.

I'm glad that I asked, I hadn't even thought of asking for an oil analysis! I'll definitely keep that in mind when looking at pre-owned ones. Although seeing how high the dealer asking prices are is starting to make me want to just bite the bullet and go new. I'll see how things go looking at used first though. There is an electric blue '22 near the bay area and a red '23 in Nevada that aren't too far away from me so I might try to go look at them soon.

Any specific areas where your paint is sketchy? I've had a bunch of Fords with QC issues, so not too surprised GM also has them.

Yeah, I'm only interested in manual! I'm trying to primarily focus on the driving experience, because it seems like QC and after-sales dealer service experience the M3 is going to win hands down.
A lot of the '22s sat in the "Lot of Doom" in Michigan for a while over the winter. Mine had a number of surface scratches on the hood and roof and some paint rubbed off on the roof - something to do with the 'protective' sheets they put on the cars for storage I think. I got a paint correction and a ceramic coating (NOT from the dealer) and can't see any of it unless I'm really looking. I've also seen pictures of '22s where the paint color on the gas cap cover is slightly different from the rest of the car. Not the case for me thankfully.

If you are in or near the Bay Area I've had pretty reasonable service at South San Francisco (Colma), at the very least they seem to have sold and service a lot of Blackwings. Have not tried other dealers though.

Dealership might be buying my car from me. I see you're in cali. Let you know what comes out of it. lol.

Just as an FYI, I searched yesterday across the nation and there isn't one for sale with all the options I have. So I'm not sure what you're looking for when it comes to options (besides being a manual).

Many folks, including myself, came from the G8x platform (I've had two G82 both with a manual) and we never looked back. Sure, the Caddy is more expensive and the tech is not as current as BMW and the dealer experience isn't quite up there, but to me, it's all about the drive, and the car is just soooooooooooooo much better, there just isn't any comparison.

As for buying used, check out BringATrailer and perhaps Cars & Bids, as the used BW don't do as well as one would expect, and you can generally pick one up for just a bit more than wholesale. Odds are if you get a low mileage car, there really shouldn't be any issues to worry about, and certainly nothing that a PPI would pick up.

You could also look here in the classifieds, every-so-often someone parts with their car, for whatever reason.

Best of luck!

Dealership might be buying my car from me. I see you're in cali. Let you know what comes out of it. lol.

Just as an FYI, I searched yesterday across the nation and there isn't one for sale with all the options I have. So I'm not sure what you're looking for when it comes to options (besides being a manual).
Let me know too. I am looking semi actively for a 5 too.

Unless you are in a rush my only real advice is hold out for the options you want. There is always another car coming along and regretting whatever doesn't make anyone's day better.
I watched, waited, and shopped for the better part of 8+ months, I was also trying to sell my 2021 2500 Silverado, but it paid off. I got what I wanted, and more to be honest, at a price that still is not being seen with any regularity. This with CPO extended 1 year coverage as well.

So enjoy the hunt. Then enjoy your car whatever it turns out to be. If it turns out to be a BW, and it should be :), welcome to the forums.

My car is a 22 CTF car with 11000 miles on it when I got it and since I have put another 5k miles on it, including a trip from Va Beach to Indianapolis, with no issues and I love it.

I think waiting till the facelifted 2025s hit the street is will make the 2022 to 2024s a bit cheaper.

You might even find a good deal on a new left over 2024 once the 2025s are on lots.

My wife has a x3m Comp, same drive train and platform, similar interior to the M3 xdrive comp. I would say the quality difference between the Cadillac and BMW isnt that much.

Though the S58 seems to be rock solid reliable, it feels much more like an appliance in how it sounds and makes power compared to the LT4.

My best objective measure is this. My 2 and a half year old giggles and squeals when I open up the LT4 just a tiny bit, she has no reaction when I do so with the S58.

I think waiting till the facelifted 2025s hit the street is will make the 2022 to 2024s a bit cheaper.

You might even find a good deal on a new left over 2024 once the 2025s are on lots.
Your advice might apply to a Honda Accord, but not the 5BW market. The minimal refresh is not going to affect '22-'24 values whatsoever and the handful of other new 5BW within a 100 miles of the typical buyer is going to be equally useless leverage.

Please do, all I am 100% set on is manual and the upgraded seats (I don't like the look of the base seats so either the mid or CF backed upgrades would do). I'd like either of the two upgraded wheel packages, PDR, parking package, and red seat belts, but none of those things are deal breakers if the deal is right for the car.

24s are already starting to see MSRP or below deals.
I posted on this before, some dealers are advertising below MSRP, and they have been for a while. Other dealers only advertise at MSRP, but are more than willing to discount, if you know how to negotiate.

AJR, unless you are in a hurry, be patient for a good deal. They are definitely out there. Regardless of what 25s do to 22-24 pricing, there is no doubt some people must have the latest and greatest, and will part with their 22-24 cars as the news ones approach.

I posted on this before, some dealers are advertising below MSRP, and they have been for a while. Other dealers only advertise at MSRP, but are more than willing to discount, if you know how to negotiate.

AJR, unless you are in a hurry, be patient for a good deal. They are definitely out there. Regardless of what 25s do to 22-24 pricing, there is no doubt some people must have the latest and greatest, and will part with their 22-24 cars as the news ones approach.
My wife and I walked in to a dealer in San Diego about a month and a half ago just to see what the interior was like and were offered one for MSRP. I figured the market might be cooling enough to make that more widespread. I wasn't ready to purchase then, otherwise I'd have gone for it. I have until mid-October to make a purchase decision, I'm just starting to get antsy and want to get one as soon as I can find the right car/deal.

Did you get to test drive both yet? If so, pros and cons of each?
Unfortunately I've only driven the M3 Comp RWD, which was way better than I expected. I'm hoping to find a manual M3 with the carbon buckets to test drive back to back (or as close to it) with a Blackwing. I absolutely love V8s so I know for a fact I'm going to want the Blackwing, it'll just be a formality at that point.

not to derail your search but why arent you considering the 4bw as well? my kids arent young for car seats any more but i dont see why they wouldnt fit. i've had all 3 of them back there together and they were comfortable

I bought a used 2023 M6 5BW from a "high-end" pre-owned dealership in May. You know, the kind that mostly sells used cars above $50K. The car had 9700 miles on it. It still had 31 months of factory Bumper-to-bumper warranty left.

Whoever owned the car before me gave it a two-toned look by installing a vinyl wrap except for the roof and trunk lid. They also had PPF installed on the entire front end, side mirrors, and rockers. I hesitated to buy the car because the vinyl wrap can give off an orange-peel effect which I didn't like. I ended up buying it because I figured I could always remove the vinyl wrap if it bugged me. The car was too impressive to pass up.

So far the car has been fantastic to own. It needed an alignment because the steering wheel was off-center. It was three months out of warranty on the alignment so I had to pay out of pocket but it only cost me $150. There's a small nick in the leather on the dash but that's been the only blemish I have found on the car. And it's so small most people wouldn't notice it unless I pointed it out to them.

This is my second car with an LT4. I traded a '17 Camaro ZL1 in for the BW. I had a supercharger idler pulley that had a bad bearing on the ZL1. It was replaced under warranty. Other than that, the engines have been very reliable.

I'm not a used car buyer. The BW is only the second used vehicle I've bought in my lifetime. I had no qualms about buying a used BW just because I knew whoever had it before me took good care of it. So far that's proven to be true.
IMG_1781.jpeg

Win 2 Supercharged Cadillacs!

Win both supercharged Cadillac Vs!

Supporting Vendors

Exhibitions of Speed

Signature Wheels

Taput Tunning LLC

V-Series Marketplace

Advertise with the Cadillac V-Net!

Torque Shop

Our Partners

Back