Welcome to the Cadillac V-Series Forums!

5BW 6MT Performance Driving

BigBlock8

V-Series Cadillac(s)?
CT5-V BlackWing
Hi,

I took my manual 5BW to a HPDE and noticed the transmission got heavy and heavier while lapping, causing the gear shifting to be hard, especially lower gears.
I kept an eye on the gauge cluster and it seems the transmission oil was not super hot (ofc hotter than regular driving but within the range).

Is that normal? Any thoughts?

Thanks in advance

Last edited:
When I was finally beating the shit out of the car at the Spring Mountain V-Performance school (on the second day I was finally "working it"), I noticed the exact same thing. Whereas perviously I was mainly in 3rd and 4th gear the entire time on the track (which was fast enough, and I was the third fastest of the day in the autocross and track), the instructors turned it up a notch and I was really going through the gears and finally banging second gear downshifts and second gear redlines. Once I started to drive the car really hard is when the symptom you described presented itself.

Exactly what you experienced is exactly what happened. The transmission literally felt harder to shift into gears, and felt more "rubbery". Once it cooled down it was back to normal, but once it really started to be worked again, the exact same thing. I didn't say anything, but just filed it away to knowing I'd never drive my car like that, so I didn't have a concern. In theory it shouldn't have happened, but whatever.

When I was finally beating the shit out of the car at the Spring Mountain V-Performance school (on the second day I was finally "working it"), I noticed the exact same thing. Whereas perviously I was mainly in 3rd and 4th gear the entire time on the track (which was fast enough, and I was the third fastest of the day in the autocross and track), the instructors turned it up a notch and I was really going through the gears and finally banging second gear downshifts and second gear redlines. Once I started to drive the car really hard is when the symptom you described presented itself.

Exactly what you experienced is exactly what happened. The transmission literally felt harder to shift into gears, and felt more "rubbery". Once it cooled down it was back to normal, but once it really started to be worked again, the exact same thing. I didn't say anything, but just filed it away to knowing I'd never drive my car like that, so I didn't have a concern. In theory it shouldn't have happened, but whatever.
Thank you for sharing your detailed experience. I was mainly on 3rd and 2nd gear, only few times on the 4th as the track was very technical with back2back corners.

On a side note, i applied for the V academy and waiting for a slot!! It has been a while now..

Last edited:
I DD my car and drive about 3hrs a day, mostly highway and that includes sitting in SOCAL traffic. I don't notice any change in the transmission during that driving.

I DO experience a change in clutch/transmission feel when I give the business from stop sign/red lights. The clutch gets much much lighter.

What were the circumstances causing that?
The clutch and brake fluid share a reservoir. So if you heat up the fluid or have air in the system it won’t return unless you pull it up with your foot. It would happen to me after a couple hot laps.

I ended up getting a mityvac that could pull a suction on the reservoir to remove air. Once I got it bled there were no problems. My buddy with a 4BW also had the same issue and I fixed it with a bleed.

Thank you for sharing your detailed experience. I was mainly on 3rd and 2nd gear, only few times on the 4th as the track was very technical with back2back corners.

On a side note, i applied for the V academy and waiting for a slot!! It has been a while now..
You many want to check with them... I just got my confirmation for late October Dates. Hope I don't regret selecting the manual having never been on a track before. Any advice on what to expect?

Last edited:
You many want to check with them... I just got my confirmation for late October Dates. Hope I don't regret selecting the manual having never been on a track before. Any advice on what to expect?

On the East Loop, you only have two upshifts and two downshifts per lap so I wouldnt worry about it.

MT was no problem driving on the track. Like SynisterAZ said there is really not too much shifting required....I never got beyond 4th and one lap no more than 3rd as I was too concentrating on getting the lines right. You will have a blast.

In addition to track there is some worthwhile class time, autocross and serpentine driving (ultimately with front window blocked off) as well as some wet braking and other handling sessions. It was a blast and you get to meet some nice folks similarly enthused about these cars.

They'll have a course map showing where the braking should happen and what gears to use. The hand numbering on my attachment is gears for manual. They also put on the presentation board the gears for auto which use more gears. As others said, you're usually only using 3rd and 4th for manual, and you aren't shifting frequently. For my course, they specifically said not to use 2nd.

They have cones marking the start of the braking for each turn. For me, not having been on a track before either, was a gut check keeping the throttle floored all the way to the braking cone. Going into turn 3 is over 100 mph, and it's almost a 180. I don't think I ever got all the way to the cone before letting up, but I did get at least to 105 mph or so. The car really hooks and holds in those turns though, and I pulled over 1.1 G's I think on my best turn. Trust the car and your instructor. He/she is coaching you all the way.

North.jpg

Last edited:
For me, not having been on a track before either, was a gut check keeping the throttle floored all the way to the braking cone. Going into turn 3 is over 100 mph, and it's almost a 180. I don't think I ever got all the way to the cone before letting up, but I did get at least to 105 mph or so.
I also got to about 105 or so before that turn - but really thought I could have done it even quicker (a major regret having to pull out early and missing the last sessions due to illness). I was getting more confident on this turn and on the other very sharp turn later after the uphill etc (North track?) and was realizing I could sustain longer, brake later (and much harder) and the car would still hold.

My first (and only) time on track too and I was so nervous trying to get the lines right etc that I didn't push as hard into some of the turns that the car is clearly capable of doing. Except for the chicanes - where I was flying - I didn't feel I pushed hard enough....in many ways it felt slower on the track than how I often drive on the streets....particularly back in the day when it wasn't unusual for me do do triple digits (in select places)....pretty much every time I drove (other then just around town of course).

Except for the chicanes I never felt I was really driving the car as fast as I would have liked. My BW actually feels a bit quicker then the one I drove....but mostly, except for the one stretch right before that 180 you were referring to - I didn't feel the straights were long enough to really wind it out (I was hoping for more....speed that is...). I also regret listening to the instructors too much to ease into acceleration out of the corners....I should have smashed it a bit more...

They'll have a course map showing where the braking should happen and what gears to use. The hand numbering on my attachment is gears for manual. They also put on the presentation board the gears for auto which use more gears. As others said, you're usually only using 3rd and 4th for manual, and you aren't shifting frequently. For my course, they specifically said not to use 2nd.

They have cones marking the start of the braking for each turn. For me, not having been on a track before either, was a gut check keeping the throttle floored all the way to the braking cone. Going into turn 3 is over 100 mph, and it's almost a 180. I don't think I ever got all the way to the cone before letting up, but I did get at least to 105 mph or so. The car really hooks and holds in those turns though, and I pulled over 1.1 G's I think on my best turn. Trust the car and your instructor. He/she is coaching you all the way.

View attachment 27227
Thank you for sharing

View attachment 27227

View attachment 27227
This is great info! Thank you... Can't wait to go

Win 2 Supercharged Cadillacs!

Win both supercharged Cadillac Vs!

Supporting Vendors

Exhibitions of Speed

Signature Wheels

Taput Tunning LLC

V-Series Marketplace

Advertise with the Cadillac V-Net!

Torque Shop

Our Partners