Welcome to the Cadillac V-Series Forums!

Why choose a CT4 BW over a new BMW M3? Sincerely asking.

I hate what modern BMW has become, especially with their iPad laden interiors. And them trying to push subscription based services. If BMW ever designs and tunes a BMW better than Toyota does, I may consider one. But that's never going to happen. Lightning in a bottle. The only German car I'd ever consider nowadays is Porsche.

Don't get me wrong. BMWs are fast. But there's more to a truly excellent car than being fast.

I got the wife a X3M comp. I actually like it alot and likely would be likely happy with an M3 comp Xdrive. The S58 ZF 8 speed Xdrive combo is killer.

I'm gonna get flamed for saying this but I'd probably get an M3 comp Xdrive over the CT4 blackwing, however I'd get a CT5 v Blackwing over either, and I did.

I got the wife a X3M comp. I actually like it alot and likely would be likely happy with an M3 comp Xdrive. The S58 ZF 8 speed Xdrive combo is killer.

I'm gonna get flamed for saying this but I'd probably get an M3 comp Xdrive over the CT4 blackwing, however I'd get a CT5 v Blackwing over either, and I did.
The comp xdrive is just so much more expensive than a CT4…

Alpha II is so satisfying to drive. The engineering team deserves huge praise for developing a car the puts up excellent measurables but is also universally praised for fully immersing the driver in an engaging experience. It takes a cohesive engineering team with considerable talent and funding to look past the objective metrics and make the car actually fun to drive. #vivateamcadillac

Flame suit on, but that's exactly how I feel.
Auto M3 Xdrive over CT4 BW.

CT5 BW M6 over everything..........
other than a 2025 ZR1 or 911 Turbo S.

In order:
1) Price- snagged my BW for $63k optioned to almost $68k. $77k on the M3 with minimal options
2) MT Reviews- this is my first manual car so I deferred to basically every journalist citing the rubbery/unsatisfying BMW vs the notchy BW. Figured if I'm gonna finally get a manual it better be a good one
3) Uniqueness- I like having something a little rarer or at least that make people wonder what it is. I can't readily find production figures for the M3 (anyone see them?) But since they've been around for a while there's a lot of M3s out there across model years. Just feels like the run of the mill sports sedan, kind of like a mustang in the muscle car scene. Similarly, M3 has a bit of a stigma that's developed given it's commonality. I suppose the old ppl caddy stigma isn't much better but I like to think it doesn't apply to the BWs

4) I liked the idea of driving something built (mostly) by Americans. I'm surely one of the least flag-wavy guys on here, but when I bought my Frontier it was a nice feeling knowing I helped some guy pay his mortgage (or at least his oxy dealer's mortgage).
Not sure I'm getting this right. Are you suggesting the blue collar guys making the cars/trucks are pill poppers hooked on oxy? If so, that's a low blow. Also, short sighted b/c the factory workers are only a fraction of the team that creates the end product. Buying American also supports the countless employed in all of the manufacturing sectors from financial, development, design, engineering, marketing, etc. Not to mention the rippling effect of indirectly supporting the associated/contracted companies & their employees (car parts, etc).

Not sure I'm getting this right. Are you suggesting the blue collar guys making the cars/trucks are pill poppers hooked on oxy? If so, that's a low blow.

I was referring to the well-documented opioid crisis in Appalachia.

It was intended to be social commentary (admittedly unnecessary) rather than a slam on blue collar workers. Blue collar workers who I said I was happy to be able to help support, I would like to reiterate.

A lot of the risk factors associated with opioid addiction don't even apply to factory works, such as unemployment and disability. So my comment was really nonsensical. Akin to painting everyone in Florida with the "Florida Man" meme brush. Wait .... that might be a bad example ...

I, too, test drove an M3 before buying the 4BW. As a driver's car the 4BW is more engaging. The M3 felt very numb and boring (even the 6MT). On paper it's better, but when you get in and drive you feel the difference.

BTW I have never owned a Cadillac/GM product nor a BMW before buying the 4BW.

2) MT Reviews- this is my first manual car so I deferred to basically every journalist citing the rubbery/unsatisfying BMW vs the notchy BW. Figured if I'm gonna finally get a manual it better be a good one
3) Uniqueness-
Bad parenting? Just kidding. Growing up both my parents had MT cars. And likely your last new MT car. Better late than never to the party I suppose.

Bad parenting? Just kidding. Growing up both my parents had MT cars. And likely your last new MT car. Better late than never to the party I suppose.
My first manual is my 4 year old 2019 Z06. I learned to drive stick on that car.

My parents drove stick a lot when I was younger and also had the intention of showing me, but it never happened, stick sales on cars were dwindling and my parents had replaced their last manual with an auto as they couldn't find a manual anymore so I missed that boat. Driving schools also stopped offering manual.

I give a big thumbs up to anyone who is buying their first manual in todays market, there are not a lot of options to learn these days with manuals dying. Anyone who is willing to take the risk of buying their first manual deserves a lot of thumbs up.

My first manual is my 4 year old 2019 Z06. I learned to drive stick on that car.

My parents drove stick a lot when I was younger and also had the intention of showing me, but it never happened, stick sales on cars were dwindling and my parents had replaced their last manual with an auto as they couldn't find a manual anymore so I missed that boat. Driving schools also stopped offering manual.

I give a big thumbs up to anyone who is buying their first manual in todays market, there are not a lot of options to learn these days with manuals dying. Anyone who is willing to take the risk of buying their first manual deserves a lot of thumbs up.
Not exactly today's market, but I bought a manual GLI back in 2012 without knowing how to drive stick. Couldn't even drive it off the lot, had to get my dad to come pick it up and drive it home. Scary for a few days, but it was one of the best decisions I've made. The GLI turned into a manual S4, then an M3, and hopefully soon a CT5 Blackwing.

Not exactly today's market, but I bought a manual GLI back in 2012 without knowing how to drive stick. Couldn't even drive it off the lot, had to get my dad to come pick it up and drive it home. Scary for a few days, but it was one of the best decisions I've made. The GLI turned into a manual S4, then an M3, and hopefully soon a CT5 Blackwing.
Haha, I stalled her a few times the first day. My other vehicle is a Jeep with 6-spd, but the clutch and throttle are completely different. It's a trip when I've been driving the 5BW for a while and get back into the Jeep. It takes me a few minutes to adjust. Doesn't happen the other way around anymore. The Blackwing is one of the easiest MT vehicles to drive. If it's a person first MT vehicle it's a good way to start. There are many other vehicles that won't be so easy to drive.

Last edited:
LOL! My dad remains one of the main people advocating against the manual. His first car was a 67 beetle manual, and I think he can't get past how much he hated that. Apparently my mom drove it once and got it stuck in 2nd gear and he had to rebuild it. So probably just bad memories.

I was referring to the well-documented opioid crisis in Appalachia.

It was intended to be social commentary (admittedly unnecessary) rather than a slam on blue collar workers. Blue collar workers who I said I was happy to be able to help support, I would like to reiterate.

A lot of the risk factors associated with opioid addiction don't even apply to factory works, such as unemployment and disability. So my comment was really nonsensical. Akin to painting everyone in Florida with the "Florida Man" meme brush. Wait .... that might be a bad example ...
Ah, gotchya! I see. Yeah, opioid crisis a shame:(

My CT5BW is my first manual. I was worried a bit initially but driving it hasn’t been bad. Also SM helped me see how much the car can be pushed that I won’t be accidentally burning out or spinning the car if I shifted it wrong.

I had no idea anyone would buy their first manual in today's environment. I assumed 100% of today's 3-pedal buyers did so purely out of nostalgia since we are literally a dying breed. You guys have my utmost admiration and respect.

My very first car was a '66 Mustang (1 yr older than me) with a green-dot auto. You could not manually put it in low gear. My folks had always had manual trans cars, and we had never owned a Ford, so now that my father has passed, I'll never know what possessed him to buy an *automatic Ford* !!

Luckily I learned to drive a manual as a kid, and after that Mustang, vowed to never own anything with less than 3 pedals as long as I lived. I've never been tempted in any way.

I had no idea anyone would buy their first manual in today's environment. I assumed 100% of today's 3-pedal buyers did so purely out of nostalgia since we are literally a dying breed. You guys have my utmost admiration and respect.

My very first car was a '66 Mustang (1 yr older than me) with a green-dot auto. You could not manually put it in low gear. My folks had always had manual trans cars, and we had never owned a Ford, so now that my father has passed, I'll never know what possessed him to buy an *automatic Ford* !!

Luckily I learned to drive a manual as a kid, and after that Mustang, vowed to never own anything with less than 3 pedals as long as I lived. I've never been tempted in any way.
Also a first time MT owner here. Thanks for the respect! Haha

I knew in theory how to drive a stick but didn't start hands-on learning for until my order went into production. Learned on a friend's POS. Needless to say, don't have much to compare to, but clutch & gear box both very smooth & user-friendly.

To be honest, I was scared shitless when I took delivry (and still on edge for the first weeks). Never owned a Tier 1 (or higher) car and never drove any car that powerful-- to be expierencing both of those first-times while also being novice to rowing gears was nerve-racking (def more nervous about hurting my baby than about the power).` Over that phase and on to simply ennjoying the hell out of it. My only anxieties now are someone hitting me & cops/going to jail.

Taught my baby sister to drive stick on one of my brand new C6s, still with temporary tags. LOL
No easier or better car to learn stick with due to the big torque and light chassis.

My very first car was a '66 Mustang (1 yr older than me) with a green-dot auto.
Me too! What are the odds? LOL
All of our classmates were buying Fox bodies, but we had taste from the beginning. :)

Reactions: CBH

Win 2 Supercharged Cadillacs!

Win both supercharged Cadillac Vs!

Supporting Vendors

Delaware Cadillac

Exhibitions of Speed

Signature Wheels

Taput Tunning LLC

V-Series Marketplace

Advertise with the Cadillac V-Net!

Torque Shop

Our Partners