Welcome to the Cadillac V-Series Forums!

Can I get your opinions on my front rotors

Ok so now I'm in a weird situation. I finally got my front rotors and pads replaced. The shop I went with told me they were ordering OEM rotors but "accidentally" ordered GiroDisc and put those on. Is there any reason I should NOT want the GiroDisc on my car? I realize they are less expensive and I need to figure that part out with the mechanic.
I have only heard great things about Girodiscs from the track rats I know. Having a pair of those in place of the OE rotors seems like a good thing especially since they shit the bed on you so soon. People use them because they are lightweight and can save over 5lbs of rotational mass, resistant to thermal cycling and the disc can be purchased separately to save costs. In some applications girodiscs offer a larger brake surface area and include caliper brackets.

I know the Girodiscs can handle track abuse, as to how long they will last is another concern I never thought of. I'm curious to know myself and I'll ask around but would someone chime in who's knowledgeable on the longevity of Girodisc rotors?

There was likely nothing wrong with the rotors that were on the car. I’ve abused my 5 about as much as one can at the track and can easily go 3 sets of pads before the rotors are to their minimum thickness allowed

Girodiscs wer considered a premium replacement for the C7 Z06 and that has the same calipers as the CT4-V BW has.

Thanks for the feedback y’all. Sounds like I will be sticking with these rotors. So far so good. I will update if there are any issues.

E50780D5-3AA5-4B6A-8BF8-33EB15864E26.jpeg

FWIW I usually replace rotors or do a heavy bed in procedure in lieu of refinish/resurface. I suspect it recommends replacement because these braking systems are track capable. Resurfaced rotors put alot of heat on the steel face of the rotor and they are then more prone to symptoms associated with a warped rotor when tracked.

Mother of God your right, attached is the service manual disc brake specsView attachment 20573View attachment 20574
this is really strange, it contradicts itself, saying both, there is a minimum allowable thickness "AFTER REFINISH" (implying a refinish is OK so long as it is think enough), and "Do NOT refinish...". So which one we following?

this is really strange, it contradicts itself, saying both, there is a minimum allowable thickness "AFTER REFINISH" (implying a refinish is OK so long as it is think enough), and "Do NOT refinish...". So which one we following?
🤔I'm not trying to sound like a know it all here but I reviewed the SM in more detail.

J56/JL9 is a V series steel rotor
J57 is the CCB blackwing rotor
J6H is the steel faced standard blackwing rotor

minimum allowable thickness "AFTER REFINISH" (implying a refinish is OK so long as it is think enough
If you notice this verbiage is only mentioned under the V series steel rotors and not the blackwing rotor codes which further solidifies that resurfacing Blackwing rotors is recommended.

It's written in red lettering not to resurface the Blackwing rotors and especially the the CCB rotors.

I am assuming the Asterisk referencing the rotor refinishing is only applicable to the J56/JL9 and they didn't double Asterisk for the blackwing rotors. This is a service manual not an owners manual and there are other documents that may dictate what the process is for servicing these rotors.

Last edited:
Some of the challengers have 6 piston Brembos, which aare likely similar to ours. My buddy who has one and works on them says he's seen them as low as 24k, so it could be any time now

Thanks for the feedback y’all. Sounds like I will be sticking with these rotors. So far so good. I will update if there are any issues.

View attachment 22573

View attachment 22573
It’s been a week and a half. Do they make more noise? What shop did you use in Austin? I’m in the area.

Some of the challengers have 6 piston Brembos, which aare likely similar to ours. My buddy who has one and works on them says he's seen them as low as 24k, so it could be any time now
24k is a very low mileage to replace the brakes unless of course the person is tracking the car.

CT5BW @ service for front rotors vibrating or warped again. It’s been little over 3k mileage from when they replaced them around 9k. I was told today they will be covered under warranty and are waiting for new rotors to come in. I asked about the pads because that 2 sets of warped rotors wondering if pads should be replaced as well. Dealership said Cadillac only approved new rotors and pads are fine. No expert but not tracking the car why are brakes failing? I’ve been to spring mountain and no way have I put this car thru that kind of abuse. It’s a fast car are you telling me it’s so fast its brakes can’t stop it or they can but over heat?

CT5BW @ service for front rotors vibrating or warped again. It’s been little over 3k mileage from when they replaced them around 9k. I was told today they will be covered under warranty and are waiting for new rotors to come in. I asked about the pads because that 2 sets of warped rotors wondering if pads should be replaced as well. Dealership said Cadillac only approved new rotors and pads are fine. No expert but not tracking the car why are brakes failing? I’ve been to spring mountain and no way have I put this car thru that kind of abuse. It’s a fast car are you telling me it’s so fast its brakes can’t stop it or they can but over heat?
There is a serious problem with the brake systems on our cars as was the ATS-V. I went through this with my ATS-V and it was a nightmare. I only hope, my Blackwing does not have the same problem, but what concerns me are the reports of vibration due to the brakes on this forum. GM (Cadillac) needs to address this. The solution may be to have a brake track package, which we currently have, and OEM brakes which would last 40 to 60 thousand miles for those who don't care about stopping on a dime and want longevity out of the brakes. I think the vast majority would prefer the latter and not want to spend 3,300 on replacing the front brakes.

There is a serious problem with the brake systems on our cars as was the ATS-V. I went through this with my ATS-V and it was a nightmare. I only hope, my Blackwing does not have the same problem, but what concerns me are the reports of vibration due to the brakes on this forum. GM (Cadillac) needs to address this. The solution may be to have a brake track package, which we currently have, and OEM brakes which would last 40 to 60 thousand miles for those who don't care about stopping on a dime and want longevity out of the brakes. I think the vast majority would prefer the latter and not want to spend 3,300 on replacing the front brakes.
Yep. $3,000 - $5,000 per year for brakes on a car that isn't going to the track is not sustainable for most, including myself. I'm going to try the procedure for Burnishing the Brakes to see if that doesn't smooth out the pad deposits.

Yep. $3,000 - $5,000 per year for brakes on a car that isn't going to the track is not sustainable for most, including myself. I'm going to try the procedure for Burnishing the Brakes to see if that doesn't smooth out the pad deposits.
It almost surely will - you just need to be aggressive with it and really get them hot.

I am not a fan of Brembo pads. There is an engineering issue between the compatibility of the pads and the rotors causing premature replacement of the brake components. I wish GM would address this issue.

When I had my Kia Stinger with Brembos the front Brembo pads were notorious for leaving pad deposits that caused brake pulsing. Most people thought the rotors were warped. It happened to my car. The dealer also thought they were warped and resurfaced the OEM rotors. I then changed out the Brembo pads for Girodisk Magic Pads and never had another issue with the brakes.

It’s possible that the OEM BW pads could cause pad deposits. On my 4BW I changed the OEM pads with PowerStop pads for less dust. I hope I don’t have pad deposit issues or rotor warping.

When I had my Kia Stinger with Brembos the front Brembo pads were notorious for leaving pad deposits that caused brake pulsing. Most people thought the rotors were warped. It happened to my car. The dealer also thought they were warped and resurfaced the OEM rotors. I then changed out the Brembo pads for Girodisk Magic Pads and never had another issue with the brakes.

It’s possible that the OEM BW pads could cause pad deposits. On my 4BW I changed the OEM pads with PowerStop pads for less dust. I hope I don’t have pad deposit issues or rotor warping.
Were your Blackwing pads worn out and if so at what mileage did you replace your pads?

Were your Blackwing pads worn out and if so at what mileage did you replace your pads?
No, they weren’t worn out. They had about 5k miles on them. I changed pads to less dusty PowerStop pads. The OEM pads dust a lot.

No, they weren’t worn out. They had about 5k miles on them. I changed pads to less dusty PowerStop pads. The OEM pads dust a lo
Are the PowerStop pads noisy? What is their stopping power as compared to the OEM Brembos?

It’s been a week and a half. Do they make more noise? What shop did you use in Austin? I’m in the area.

Hey. Tech One Automotive. The brakes squeal but I think it's more an issue with the OEM pads than it is the GiroDisc rotors.

Win 2 Supercharged Cadillacs!

Win both supercharged Cadillac Vs!

Supporting Vendors

Delaware Cadillac

Exhibitions of Speed

Signature Wheels

Taput Tunning LLC

V-Series Marketplace

Advertise with the Cadillac V-Net!

Torque Shop

Our Partners

Back