Welcome to the Cadillac V-Series Forums!

4BW died at 1500 miles

laser_missile

V-Series Cadillac(s)?
'24 CT4V Blackwing 6MT
Updates below

(Disclaimer: I don't know sh*t about cars. But I did read the manual closely and followed the break-in guidance to the letter for 1500 miles.)

Bought my 4BM 6MT three weeks ago, brand new.

Drove 70 miles yesterday to visit family for Mother's Day. Hit the 1500 break-in threshold during the latter half of that drive (don't know if this is related but seemed like a very weird coincidence).

Noticed on the highway when I accelerated anything more than "mildly" the car would indeed accelerate but with a jolty, staccato jerkiness that felt very wrong.

Pulled over at a gas station to grab a drink. After restart the car seemed fine. Issue surfaced again a few miles later; pulled over to restart a second time.

After shutoff, engine would not restart. Battery and CEL on. Error on dash: "Service Charging System Vehicle May Stall." (Interestingly, electronics would NOT turn off.)

Called AAA, guy came and tested battery, tried turning on with additional power. No luck. Had the car towed to the closest Cadillac dealership.

Tow driver guy was able to pull the following codes. I don't know anything about cars but stuff in parentheses is what Google tells me and my ignorant interpretation.

- P0615 (starter issue; seems like a symptom)
- P0617 (starter issue; seems like a symptom)
- P0622 (battery issue; seems like a symptom)
- P1384 (camshaft timing? could be root cause)
- U02A9 (ignition coil? could be root cause)
- U1345 (no idea)

Has anyone seen/heard of an issue like this? What might be the problem?

I'm very concerned that I got a lemon. How concerned would you all be about this?

Thanks in advance for the help.

Update 5/13:
Had the car towed to the closest dealer (Greenwich Cadillac). The diagnosed it as a generator/alternator issue. Picked up Thursday and all seemed fine with the car. Today it wouldn't start in my driveway, same error message "Service Charging System Vehicle May Stall" and battery and CEL on.

Update 5/21:
- Dealer wants to replace the starter, which is hopelessly backordered - none in stock anywhere
- Dealer escalated the order with GM (upgraded to "SPAC" (special parts and accessories - "VIP order"))
- However, the techs still haven't confirmed the starter is the root cause of the issue :unsure:
- Dealer couldn't give me an ETA, said it could be tomorrow or a month from now

Update 5/22:
- Spoke with Cadillac customer service rep
- They were very eager to help but clearly with the goal of being helpful enough that I don't go the legal route
- Wanted me to commit to working with them instead of retaining counsel
- Offered me $100/month in "MyGMRewards" (can go towards payments, service, parts, accessories). Said they would give me more
- I told them: I do not want the vehicle back because it's clearly a lemon. I need Cadillac to either build me a new car or buy me out of the lemon, otherwise I'll retain counsel. Rep said they would escalate to their supervisor to see what they're willing to do

Attachments

• adios BW.jpeg
    adios BW.jpeg
    2.5 MB · Views: 64
  • BW dash error.jpeg
    BW dash error.jpeg
    1.1 MB · Views: 59
Last edited:
(Disclaimer: I don't know sh*t about cars. But I did read the manual closely and followed the break-in guidance to the letter for 1500 miles.)

Drove 70 miles yesterday to visit family for Mother's Day. Hit the 1500 break-in threshold during the latter half of that drive (don't know if this is related but seemed like a very weird coincidence).

Noticed on the highway when I accelerated anything more than "mildly" the car would indeed accelerate but with a jolty, staccato jerkiness that felt very wrong.

Pulled over at a gas station to grab a drink. After restart the car seemed fine. Issue surfaced again a few miles later; pulled over to restart a second time.

After shutoff, engine would not restart. Battery and CEL on. Error on dash: "Service Charging System Vehicle May Stall." (Interestingly, electronics would NOT turn off.)

Called AAA, guy came and tested battery, tried turning on with additional power. No luck. Had the car towed to the closest Cadillac dealership.

Tow driver guy was able to pull the following codes. I don't know anything about cars but stuff in parentheses is what Google tells me and my ignorant interpretation.

- P0615 (starter issue; seems like a symptom)
- P0617 (starter issue; seems like a symptom)
- P0622 (battery issue; seems like a symptom)
- P1384 (camshaft timing? could be root cause)
- U02A9 (ignition coil? could be root cause)
- U1345 (no idea)

Has anyone seen/heard of an issue like this? What might be the problem?

I'm very concerned that I got a lemon. How concerned would you all be about this?

Thanks in advance for the help.
I wouldn't be too concerned. Car is brand new and has a warranty. Let the dealership sort it out.

And before anyone gets sand in their vaginas (seems to run rampant these days).
I'm not saying I wouldn't be pissed this happened. But shit happens, thankfully it'll be sorted out by the dealership for free.

Hopefully OP it's something minor and you can have your car back relatively quickly.

As we say on the BMW forums, it's the battery. It's always the battery.

Of course, it could be bad gas, but it does honestly sound electrical. Hopefully they will be able to fix it, quickly, and get it right the first time.

As noted, it's under warranty, try not to get too stressed (although I get it and BTDT). Best of luck.

And it's a BW, not a BM. That's a totally different thing. ;)

Yes, but the gas could be contaminated. That happens quite a bit.
I’m guessing electrical to, there are a lot of weird faults being talked about in the ‘Vette forum that sound similar to what’s going on with the BWs. One guy just had a fried ECM in a brand new car that was causing DCT faults.

I highly doubt it’s gas and I don’t think it happens that often anymore. I’ve driven nearly two million miles between work/personal miles and never had a bad tank of gas. That’s unleaded and diesel.

Remember that since its under warranty, Cadillac roadside assistance will tow it for free to the nearest Caddy dealer.

They even did that for me when I dented the front wheel - not even Cadillac's fault !!

sorry to hear about your experience. If it does turn out to be a lemon you’ll be made whole. It’s just a long process. Either way the car gets fixed or you get your money back. What you won’t get back is the time and hassle to get it all sorted.

Sounds like a possible spark plug/coilpack issue?

My 718 Cayman had similar symptoms when they needed to be replaced. Odd for it to be happening on a new vehicle but things happen I suppose.

Also, when cars have issues related to performance/starting - always one of three causes: fuel/air/spark. This doesn't sound fuel related and not air. Definitely seems like a spark (electrical) issue.

Battery does sound like a decent place to start but I imagine, based on OP's post, its coilpack/plug related.

The responses to the OP question is like a game of family feud. A bunch of wild guesses, none of them helpful.
To be fair, most questions like this asked in public forums are a crapshoot anyway. None of us have the car and/or diagnostic tools in front of us.

TLDR: Take it to a shop.

It is likely something pretty simple and not likely an indication the car is a lemon. With all the electronics in todays cars and the high level of electrical integration between various subsystems, a very minor issue (loose connection, damaged wire, bad sensor, low battery voltage, etc.) can cause all sorts of weird behavior. Please keep us updated on what the dealer finds.

Had the car towed to the closest dealer (Greenwich Cadillac). The diagnosed it as a generator/alternator issue. Picked up Thursday and all seemed fine with the car. Today it wouldn't start in my driveway, same error message "Service Charging System Vehicle May Stall" and battery and CEL on.

I'm in the process of hiring lemon-law lawyers to deal with this.

Well that's what they said and what they fixed, and then it died again. So don't count your chickens

I'm in the process of hiring lemon-law lawyers to deal with this.
Lemon Law? I don't know man.....

Win 2 Supercharged Cadillacs!

Win both supercharged Cadillac Vs!

Supporting Vendors

Delaware Cadillac

Exhibitions of Speed

Signature Wheels

Taput Tunning LLC

V-Series Marketplace

Advertise with the Cadillac V-Net!

Torque Shop

Our Partners