Welcome to the Cadillac V-Series Forums!

4BW died at 1500 miles

Bad alternator and a bad battery. Defective battery could’ve damaged the alternator or vice versa. Should be a pretty straight forward repair. Happens but definitely repairable.

Bad alternator and a bad battery. Defective battery could’ve damaged the alternator or vice versa. Should be a pretty straight forward repair. Happens but definitely repairable.
Had multiple battery tests, battery is fine. Alternator was replaced after the first breakdown. I know those are common issues that are easy to fix but unfortunately it's probably the electrical harness or something that's much more complex and expensive to fix, and will likely cause (or already has caused) downstream issues

Had multiple battery tests, battery is fine. Alternator was replaced after the first breakdown. I know those are common issues that are easy to fix but unfortunately it's probably the electrical harness or something that's much more complex and expensive to fix, and will likely cause (or already has caused) downstream issues
I’ve had a battery on my Hellcat test fine multiple times at the dealer that tested bad on my charger at home and at a local auto part store. Replacing it corrected my random no start and stalling issues. A bad battery will cause your car to stall, die, or not start. I’m not saying you don’t have deeper issues, but I’d push for a battery replacement first then go from there. I’m shocked they didn’t replace it with the continued issues you’re having. Could also be a bad main chassis ground as well. I chased a no start/stall issue on my old e34 M5 for months and found the main chassis ground completely corroded at the back of the main frame connection. Couldn’t see it because the washer and nut on the front side looked completely clean. Either way, hope they get it fixed because they’re going to fight you tooth and nail on the lemon thing.

I’ve had a battery on my Hellcat test fine multiple times at the dealer that tested bad on my charger at home and at a local auto part store. Replacing it corrected my random no start and stalling issues. A bad battery will cause your car to stall, die, or not start. I’m not saying you don’t have deeper issues, but I’d push for a battery replacement first then go from there. I’m shocked they didn’t replace it with the continued issues you’re having. Could also be a bad main chassis ground as well. I chased a no start/stall issue on my old e34 M5 for months and found the main chassis ground completely corroded at the back of the main frame connection. Couldn’t see it because the washer and nut on the front side looked completely clean. Either way, hope they get it fixed because they’re going to fight you tooth and nail on the lemon thing.
Really hope you're right. I'm just having a hard time trusting the car, and more importantly trusting the GM techs. It's such a rare car that I don't want to take it just anywhere

Really hope you're right. I'm just having a hard time trusting the car, and more importantly trusting the GM techs. It's such a rare car that I don't want to take it just anywhere
Definitely ask a bunch of questions and reach out to Cadillac. Don’t settle for anything. I’m crossing my fingers for you.

Couple days ago you claimed you didn't know shit about cars.

Now you believe its the electrical harness.

If you don't want the car because this experience has left a bad taste in your mouth, it's okay to just say that. Wish you best of luck trying to get it lemon'd.

Yeah, best wishes to the OP. I think it's the battery. It's always the battery.

Lemon laws vary by state, so it's best to check with your own attorney general's office to see what the statutes are.

I've BTDT (with BMW) so I know all about NC. Connecticut, not so much. Don't tread on me? No.

Qui transtulit sustinet

Update:
- Dealer wants to replace the starter, which is hopelessly backordered - none in stock anywhere
- Dealer escalated the order with GM (upgraded to "SPAC" (special parts and accessories - "VIP order"))
- However, the techs still haven't confirmed the starter is the root cause of the issue :unsure:
- Dealer couldn't give me an ETA, said it could be tomorrow or a month from now

Update:
- Dealer wants to replace the starter, which is hopelessly backordered - none in stock anywhere
- Dealer escalated the order with GM (upgraded to "SPAC" (special parts and accessories - "VIP order"))
- However, the techs still haven't confirmed the starter is the root cause of the issue :unsure:
- Dealer couldn't give me an ETA, said it could be tomorrow or a month from now

Does it still stall while driving or is it now only a no start issue? Because a starter has nothing to do with it stalling.

I’d ask for a new car or buyback then.
That's the plan. Spoke to a lemon lawyer yesterday. She said unfortunately GM is one of the least responsive manufacturers when it comes to lemon cases (but results in better arbitration outcomes).

I was curious who was on the other end of the spectrum - she said Audi was surprisingly great with lemon cases (and they have a lot of them)

well it’s a long shot, but if they have any unsold BWs in stock, have them go swap out starters from the new one and your car. If that works then obviously it was the starter and you are good to go and they order a new starter for the other car. I doubt they do it. But I’d go ahead and ask. It saves them legal fees and the buyback cost. Talk to the GM of the dealership, offer this up. Can’t hurt to ask.

I’d ask for a new car or buyback then.
This doesn't seem at all unreasonable considering the situation. I'd be pretty unhappy.

If the dealer doesn't sound willing, I'd get GM Customer Service involved.

Update:
- Spoke with Cadillac customer service rep
- They were very eager to help but clearly with the goal of being helpful enough that I don't go the legal route
- Wanted me to commit to working with them instead of retaining counsel
- Offered me $100/month in "MyGMRewards" (can go towards payments, service, parts, accessories). Said they would give me more
- I told them: I do not want the vehicle back because it's clearly a lemon. I need Cadillac to either build me a new car or buy me out of the lemon, otherwise I'll retain counsel. Rep said they would escalate to their supervisor to see what they're willing to do

Win 2 Supercharged Cadillacs!

Win both supercharged Cadillac Vs!

Supporting Vendors

Delaware Cadillac

Exhibitions of Speed

Signature Wheels

Taput Tunning LLC

V-Series Marketplace

Advertise with the Cadillac V-Net!

Torque Shop

Our Partners

Back