Welcome to the Cadillac V-Series Forums!

4BW damaged in transport shipping

jadis192

After 6 months or waiting my car came in yesterday only to come in with a damaged driver door corner. Not happy.

What do people recommend? Decline this vehicle and wait for a new one? Or let dealer repair?
1000003178.jpg

I'd probably see what the wait time is for that door repair and, as long as the rest of the car is exactly what you want, stick with that one since you don't know when the next one will come around. If it was a more serious issue that could affect the life of the vehicle I'd just hold out if I could, but that doesn't seem to be too bad.

I'm no expert but after watching a lot of shows about custom builders, I'd think a good shop could repair the damage to the point that you wouldn't notice it.

I any event, I hope that whatever your decision is that it pleases you in the long run. Don

A PDR magician might be able to fix that.

The pinch weld on the inside of the panel is cracked open from the bending. I went and saw it today. Unsure now. Dealer said they'll repair it all and let me decide. I'm leaning towards a new order

Get a new one. I think the door skin is aluminum and it's not easy to fix. unlike steel, it does not "remember" its previous shape.

Get a new one. I think the door skin is aluminum and it's not easy to fix. unlike steel, it does not "remember" its previous shape.
Since this is car highly thought out about Weight Distribution by engineers. The front doors will be AL and rear doors FE for that reason I would surmise. As for fixing that? It wouldn't be a problem for a experienced body guy/gal super easy fix for them. It's lame that it happened but properly fixed you would never know?

My magnet says it's not aluminum.

OP, the dealer needs to fix it regardless, so see how it looks when it's done then decide. That's really just a cosmetic blemish, and if the repair is done properly and it looks good then keep it and save the grief of a new order.

PDR might work. Here are a couple videos using a quick Google search:

Last edited:
This will likely show up on the Carfax and many will bid lower on your car. I would take another one, unless you plan on keeping this car for 8 years or more and then it doesn't matter a lot.

Reactions: DCV
That is an easy fix. The problem is making absolutely sure that the paint matches. I am 99% sure that they will be blending into the adjoining door and from experience, silver is very difficult to match.
If it took forever to get this car and you don't want to wait for another , let them fix it before you sign any paperwork and inspect it. Other wise wait for another car. If they are not a reputable dealer, they will tell you to go scratch and then fix the car, then sell it to an unsuspecting future buyer.

Any idea the invasiveness of this fix? Meaning, will they be removing doors or taking apart doors or removing interior trim?

I really don't want a car that has been taken apart. I am very particular and know once things are taken apart they are never 100% perfect.

It won't hit Carfax, it's all done as pre delivery
You can't match the thickness of the paint and a good inspection by the dealer or independent will be able to tell that there has been some work done which lowers the value of the car perhaps as much as 10%.

This is all strictly hammer and dolly work with some Bondo thrown in. If it is done correctly, it will only be noticed if you look for it or know what to look for. It won't look 100% like a robot built door skin.
The #1 concern will be the paint. And like I said, silver and metallic paints are the hardest to match correctly. They will need to match and blend perfectly not to notice it in sunlight and streetlights. A pro shop has to have a good paint system in place. Then a good painter will blend the paint into adjoining panels to play a trick on the eye. If the color is off, the blend will keep spreading to compensate. I have seen where a door lock cylinder was punched out and they almost had to paint the whole side of the car to hide the poor paint match.
*** I worked in my family body shop for 12 years and we are still in business 65 years later. If this was my car, I would take a pass and get another one.....only because "I" would know that the damage was there and had been repaired. If you aren't really a car guy and it looks good to you after repairs and you will eventually get rid of the car, then take it and negotiate a discounted price.

Thank you for the great responses. I am huge car guy and sold my 2021 M3 to buy this. I ordered this exact spec after months of determining what I wanted. I actually ordered a 5BW and determined the 4BW was a better car sans the V8. I am fanatical and work a little on my own cars. I've never done body work.

It seems like the doors won't come off or be taken apart, but I am beginning to think this one is not for me. I will see what they do to the car to make it right and I select with high powered lights and in sunlight.

I'll most likely order a new one or just give up all together and get a Giulia Quadrifoglio

Hate to admit it, but I did kind of the same thing myself to my own car. A jack puck slipped and caused similar damage. Hoping the PDR guy at my dealership can work his magic. 🙏. Luckily the carbon survived with only a couple scratches on the underside that are not noticeable. Some of the plastic is cracked from the lower rocker, but looks like it could probably be plasty welded?

Win 2 Supercharged Cadillacs!

Win both supercharged Cadillac Vs!

Supporting Vendors

Delaware Cadillac

Exhibitions of Speed

Signature Wheels

Taput Tunning LLC

V-Series Marketplace

Advertise with the Cadillac V-Net!

Torque Shop

Our Partners

Back