Welcome to the Cadillac V-Series Forums!

Potential Tremec M6 Reverse Lockout Issue

slowshift

V-Series Cadillac(s)?
2024 CT4v Blackwing
Would someone with an M6 (I have a CT4 but I’m sure 5 should be the same) mind sanity-checking me that the tremec has a reverse gate lockout at highway speed?

For example, if I’m going 50 in fourth and push selector all the right in neutral, straight up should be 5th and straight down 6th, right?

At around 8k miles and the above scenario is allowing the selector to reach the far right reverse gate. Straight down does not select a gear (as there’s no gear below reverse) and unclear whether the car would actually allow me to select reverse at highways speeds (I’ve been avoiding fully entering that gate, but I sure hope not…)

Quick google seems to indicate a solenoid in the trans regulates the reverse lockout, so I’m assuming I have a faulty one that would hopefully be covered by warranty if this is in fact an issue.

Curious if anyone else has experienced this, or if I’m crazy and the transmission has always been this way and I’ve just never noticed because my 4>5 shifts have been perfect to this point (unlikely)

Only one way to find out.
I found out my Jeep doesn’t have a lockout (R is below and to the right of 6). Made a loud sound and jerked the stick out of my hand. That was many miles ago. Likely chipped some teeth, but nothing serious.

Never done this operation in my 5BW. R is very far away from 5th. I think a money shift is far more likely to occur than a R shift at speed. It just won’t go into gear.

Last edited:
Yes, I have a 22 CT4BW. Especially at highway speeds it shouldn't allow you to shift all the way right to go into R. For me, it stops and only gears are up to 5 or down to 6. I back into my driveway and garage and I've noticed even at around 10 MPH it wouldn't allow me to go into reverse until I'm closer to 5 MPH.

The T6060 definitely has a reverse lockout solenoid and it's default position is locked out, so if it fails it should make reverse difficult/impossible to engage. Why don't YOU check if you can find reverse on the interstate, haha. If you're really ham-fisting your 4-5 shift you might be getting tangled up in the lockout mechanism. I would practice better technique and go from there.

Certainly not asking anyone to find reverse on the interstate (sorry if it came off that way). The whole me checking my own potentially faulty transmission kind of defeats the control group comparison I was asking for in the forum, doesn’t it?

What I’m asking is whether the reverse gate is accessible for anyone else at speed, not the reverse gear (i.e., if you select all the way right in neutral and pull straight down, do you find 6th or are you locked out because you’ve accessed the reverse gate?)

Reverse is still easily accessible when stationary, so I am thinking there may be a dual redundancy (one lockout for access to the gate and a second safeguard lockout against actually shifting into reverse gear). See attached image for the lockout that I think is at play here.

I can still find 5th just fine, I would just prefer to push out to the right on the 4>5 shift and be able to rely on that lockout to foreclose the potential (however slim) of a 4>3 money shift.

Attachments

• IMG_1805.webp
    IMG_1805.webp
    23.1 KB · Views: 10
Yes, I have a 22 CT4BW. Especially at highway speeds it shouldn't allow you to shift all the way right to go into R. For me, it stops and only gears are up to 5 or down to 6. I back into my driveway and garage and I've noticed even at around 10 MPH it wouldn't allow me to go into reverse until I'm closer to 5 MPH.
Thanks, this is super helpful and exactly what I was looking for

Thanks, this is super helpful and exactly what I was looking for
I actually find it annoying - I cant seem to get into R unless i am closer to ~1MPH. To the point where the transition of 1 -> R (to back into a parking spot for example) has me going 1-5 instead (trying to shift into R in parallel to coming to a stop to change direction).

That said, besides the lock out, there is still a reasonable detent, and i would think it would be pretty hard to go into R by mistake...

The T6060 definitely has a reverse lockout solenoid and it's default position is locked out, so if it fails it should make reverse difficult/impossible to engage.
I have an '07 Z06 (T56) and my reverse lockout solenoid started sticking in the retracted position. But that was north of 80K miles and I wouldn't expect a similar failure of OPs '24 (unless his solenoid is defective).

Reverse on my 5BW doesn’t unlock until you’re damn near stopped. I’ve found that out when trying to get into reverse when parking and still rolling forward a few mph.

Also my reverse is locked out when the car is off so that to me would confirm the thought that reverse is normally locked out and the solenoid needs to unlock reverse.

Reverse on my 5BW doesn’t unlock until you’re damn near stopped. I’ve found that out when trying to get into reverse when parking and still rolling forward a few mph.

Also my reverse is locked out when the car is off so that to me would confirm the thought that reverse is normally locked out and the solenoid needs to unlock reverse.
Yea-this is what I was trying to say.

Win 2 Supercharged Cadillacs!

Win both supercharged Cadillac Vs!

Supporting Vendors

Exhibitions of Speed

Signature Wheels

Taput Tunning LLC

V-Series Marketplace

Advertise with the Cadillac V-Net!

Torque Shop

Our Partners

Back