Welcome to the Cadillac V-Series Forums!

P2096 Kooks Headers with green Cats

bybcous

*I have a question as I am ignorant to this code. Am I damaging the motor with this code? It only showed up once and hasn't come back.*

I am getting p0430 and p0420 and decided to just tune the car, so I don't damage the motor as I don't know if stock tune is adjusting for headers or not as I have saw on youtube videos.

Since the tune is so expensive, I am debating on going ahead and upgrading the cam and heads while at it.

DTC P0420 and P0430 are catalyst inefficiency codes. They indicate that the ECM doesn't think your catalytic converters are working correctly.

I don't understand the DTC P0296 in your post title. Are you also getting that code as well?

DTC P0420 and P0430 are catalyst inefficiency codes. They indicate that the ECM doesn't think your catalytic converters are working correctly.

I don't understand the DTC P0296 in your post title. Are you also getting that code as well?
Yes it is saying car ran lean, but I deleted the code and it hasn't came back, I read it could also mean a exhaust leak.

Yes it is saying car ran lean, but I deleted the code and it hasn't came back, I read it could also mean a exhaust leak.
The catalyst inefficiency codes don't have anything to do with your car running lean. And there is no DTC P0296 listed for these cars. Next time you see a code other than P0420 and P0430, please take a screen shot so we can try to assist.

It'll probably self adjust to the point the car will just ignore it. There are folks who swear they had similar thing happen on UNCATTED headers. They cleared the code once or twice the first 500 miles and just never came back.

The code came back

Attachments

• 20240913_195111.jpg
    20240913_195111.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 22
P2096 is a PITA code as there’s several things that can trigger it. Are there any other codes? Have you checked the O2 sensor after the cat? You can back probe the sensor with a multimeter, with engine on, set the meter to volts, should fluctuate between .1~1.0. If it’s a steady voltage, no fluctuation, or no reading, the sensor has a problem. If that’s good, perhaps check the MAF, clean it… as well as checking vacuum hoses. That’s where I’d start without a secondary code to help narrow the scope.

P2096 is a PITA code as there’s several things that can trigger it. Are there any other codes? Have you checked the O2 sensor after the cat? You can back probe the sensor with a multimeter, with engine on, set the meter to volts, should fluctuate between .1~1.0. If it’s a steady voltage, no fluctuation, or no reading, the sensor has a problem. If that’s good, perhaps check the MAF, clean it… as well as checking vacuum hoses. That’s where I’d start without a secondary code to help narrow the scope.
Thanks, will test all tommorow

Thanks, will test all tommorow
Since you got a scan tool, check if it does live data, depending on the scanner you have you may be able to see this data without getting under the car.

With the scan tool, go to live data, (I only see bank 1, no sensor number from your photo), go to the corresponding sensor. It may give you mA or voltage, if mA, the sensor reading should fluctuate between -2-1.5 range, 0 is good. Voltage will generally be between 0.1-0.9. With engine running, pump brake or give a couple revs, fluctuating is good. If you can see the LAMBDA for the sensor, 1 is good but should also fluctuate. If no fluctuations and the voltage/mA is pegged, out of range, not changing, likely a bad sensor. You could quickly check all sensors while you’re there if live data is available.

Last edited:

Win 2 Supercharged Cadillacs!

Win both supercharged Cadillac Vs!

Supporting Vendors

Exhibitions of Speed

Signature Wheels

Taput Tunning LLC

V-Series Marketplace

Advertise with the Cadillac V-Net!

Torque Shop

Our Partners

Back