Welcome to the Cadillac V-Series Forums!

CT5-V Mounting / adapting C7 Z06 carbon ceramic rotors to CT5 Blackwing?

CT5-V Model

thefleshrocket

Seasoned Member
While looking into brake pad options for the 5BW, I discovered that the PowerStop Z26 pads cross reference among the front brakes for the iron-brake 5BW, the CCB C7 Z06, and the '13-'14 Z28. If the pads cross reference, then I figured maybe the rotors are the same. Well, they're not, but as far as I can tell, they look like they're extremely close.

C7 Z06 CCB front rotor specs: https://www.rockauto.com/en/moreinfo.php?pk=6338469&cc=3442357&pt=1896&jsn=820
5BW front iron rotor (which Rockauto indicates are J6H) specs: https://www.rockauto.com/en/moreinfo.php?pk=14079025&cc=3451747&pt=1896&jsn=460

Measurements that I am guessing are close enough to not matter:
5BW outside diameter - 398mm
Z06 outside diameter - 394mm
5BW pad contact surface width - 88.6mm
Z06 pad contact surface width - 86.9mm
5BW nominal thickness - 36mm
Z06 nominal thickness - 36mm

Measurements that might be different enough to matter:
5BW stud / lug hole circle diameter - 120mm
Z06 stud / lug hole circle diameter - 117.93mm
5BW stud / lug hole diameter - 16.5mm
Z06 stud / lug hole diameter - 13.3mm
5BW center hole diameter - 67.42mm
Z06 center hole diameter - 69mm
5BW stud size - M14
Z06 stud size - M12

So it looks to me like the friction rings are of comparable measurements, but the inner rings are not. It looks like the 5BW and the Z06 both use 10 bolts to attach the friction ring to the inner ring--maybe the Z06 CCB friction ring can be bolted to the 5BW inner ring?

Of course this doesn't take into account the rear brakes at all.
C7 Z06 CCB rear rotor specs: https://www.rockauto.com/en/moreinfo.php?pk=6338475&cc=3434313&pt=1896&jsn=1295
5BW rear iron rotor specs: https://www.rockauto.com/en/moreinfo.php?pk=14078533&cc=3451747&pt=1896&jsn=458

Measurements that are for sure deal breakers:
5BW outside diameter - 373.5mm
Z06 outside diameter - 389.92mm
5BW pad contact surface width - 56.52mm
Z06 pad contact surface width - 62.4mm

Rockauto doesn't have any CCB information for the 5BW so I can't compare the 5BW's rear CCBs to the Z06's rear CCBs.

If the goal is dust reduction without significantly reducing performance, perhaps we could run the Z06 CCB rotors and pads on the 5BW, and go with some lower dust rear pads on the 5BW iron rotors. However, the OCD triggered by having CC front rotors and iron rear rotors might be too much for me.

What would be the point of messing around with C7 components when Cadillac already has engineered CCB components for the BW? I know of one person here that made the swap including the firmware updates.

I have done the Irons to CCBS successfully. Including Hub, electronic parking brake, calipers, etc.

Im now interested in finding irons that work with the new CCB rear calipers.

I still have my DTC 70/60 setup I can use if I can get a pad/rotor setup for the rear.

Some research I have done that may or may not be helpful to others.

6th gen ZL1 rear rotors will fit the rear on the iron setup. Have used them when the CT5 rear rotors were sold out.

The Carbon ceramics front rotors and irons for the Blackwing are effectively the same size and can be switched with the corresponding pads and work fine.

I’m currently doing some research with Ken @ KNS to find a rear rotor the same size as the factory CCB rotor for the rear. It seems the C7 z06 front rotor is the perfect size for the rear on the CCB setup. Still trying to confirm.

Should have the exact iron pad size for the rear CCB caliper by today or tomorrow. Will post my findings shortly.

Folks, the BW/C8 brakes are not a conventional hydraulic system. They are brake by wire. The brake pedal is a potentiometer. Messing with the braking system without the ability to tell the computer what is going on is a recipe for disaster.

The C7 CCBs are NOT the BW CCBs even if the physical dimensions are similar. Brembo had a deep dive where they talked about the ‘Gen2’ CCB product for Blackwing and C8 vs Z/28 and C7.

The Carbon ceramics front rotors and irons for the Blackwing are effectively the same size and can be switched with the corresponding pads and work fine.

I’m currently doing some research with Ken @ KNS to find a rear rotor the same size as the factory CCB rotor for the rear. It seems the C7 z06 front rotor is the perfect size for the rear on the CCB setup. Still trying to confirm.

Should have the exact iron pad size for the rear CCB caliper by today or tomorrow. Will post my findings shortly.
Following up to see what you found out.

Win 2 Supercharged Cadillacs!

Win both supercharged Cadillac Vs!

Supporting Vendors

Exhibitions of Speed

Signature Wheels

Taput Tunning LLC

V-Series Marketplace

Advertise with the Cadillac V-Net!

Torque Shop

Our Partners

Back