Welcome to the Cadillac V-Series Forums!

Life in South Carolina

dizz81

Seasoned Member
V-Series Cadillac(s)?
2022 IFTC CT5VBW
It's been a year since I retired from the military (24yrs) and have been living and working in Socal. I'm thinking it's time for a change tho. Between the 100+ degree weather and increasing prices to live out here, I think it's time to kick rocks.
My father also lives in Myrtle Beach and he loves it there. So being close to him as he's getting up there in age would be an added plus.

Some things helping in my consideration to move there:
Military retirement pay is exempt from taxes in SC, including disability pay. I know the cost of living is far less, gas is almost half what it is here in Cali.
Weather-wise, I didn't think I'd miss a decent rain shower as much as I do but living out here in this dessert climate makes you realize how nice it is to go stand out in the rain from time to time.

I've been researching on and off here the last month and will continue to do so until the end of this year when I'll make a decision.

Does anyone have some insights about living there?

It's been a year since I retired from the military (24yrs) and have been living and working in Socal. I'm thinking it's time for a change tho. Between the 100+ degree weather and increasing prices to live out here, I think it's time to kick rocks.
My father also lives in Myrtle Beach and he loves it there. So being close to him as he's getting up there in age would be an added plus.

Some things helping in my consideration to move there:
Military retirement pay is exempt from taxes in SC, including disability pay. I know the cost of living is far less, gas is almost half what it is here in Cali.
Weather-wise, I didn't think I'd miss a decent rain shower as much as I do but living out here in this dessert climate makes you realize how nice it is to go stand out in the rain from time to time.

I've been researching on and off here the last month and will continue to do so until the end of this year when I'll make a decision.

Does anyone have some insights about living there?

Totally your call, but I'd be partial to the other side of the state. Get up close to the "mountains" (I know, people in the west don't think so, but the important thing is that there are some *fantastic* roads there) without being in North Carolina (higher cost of gas, annual inspections, etc.). Easy drive to Myrtle Beach any time you want to go.

Calif is screwing us all on costs of living. I’d say kick the rocks and relocate outta socal.

I grew up in Greenville, which is in the Piedmont of the state, and Myrtle Beach in the 70s was just a tacky little touristy town where we would go celebrate Spring break or take a family vacation. Now it's an overgrown, congested, over-developed and higher priced tacky little touristy town. Full disclosure: my wife loves it.

For a move of this magnitude, it's well worth finding a VRBO or just a conventional rental for a month or two to see how you really like living there with all of the traffic, the humidity and traffic.

I prefer the mountains of SC or NC (as suggested above) which has much better weather, fewer crowds, and is still only a few hours away from the beach if you want to go visit.

I just went to Myrtle Beach (south) for a trip in May. I had never been there before . We got there just at Bike Week was starting up. Glad I missed all the traffic. The weather cool and rainy , so no real beach time. I will say, the beaches there are pristine ! I was told to go visit North Myrtle Beach for a more relaxed vacation and no riff raff like south can have in the season. The Marriott i stayed at was beautiful, on the beach.

Win 2 Supercharged Cadillacs!

Win both supercharged Cadillac Vs!

Supporting Vendors

Exhibitions of Speed

Signature Wheels

Taput Tunning LLC

V-Series Marketplace

Advertise with the Cadillac V-Net!

Torque Shop

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom