Welcome to the Cadillac V-Series Forums!

High Oil Pressure - Question?

Melon

V-Series Cadillac(s)?
2024 CT4 V Blackwing
The temps have finally dropped here in southern Louisiana, and I've noticed at cold start until about 150 degrees, I'm getting unusually high oil pressure.
I'm wondering if this is normal for the LF4 engine, or whether I should go to a 0w30 and try a different filter.

PSI: 80-87
Oil temp: 80-149 degrees
RPM: Idle-3,000
Oil type: Mobil 1 Supercar 0w-40
Filter type: WIX XP WL 10255XP

The temps have finally dropped here in southern Louisiana, and I've noticed at cold start until about 150 degrees, I'm getting unusually high oil pressure.
I'm wondering if this is normal for the LF4 engine, or whether I should go to a 0w30 and try a different filter.

PSI: 80-87
Oil temp: 80-149 degrees
RPM: Idle-3,000
Oil type: Mobil 1 Supercar 0w-40
Filter type: WIX XP WL 10255XP
Pretty sure mobile 1 supercar is not the right oil for the LF4. I guess revert to recommended oil and see what the pressure is?

Also you didn't put in 9.5 quarts Supercar right?

I put in the recommended 7 quarts.
My 1LE with the LT1 took 10, man that was an expensive oil change.

I run a 40w here because ambient temps can get to 100 in the summer and while tracking the car and driving hard it's nice to have the extra viscosity. I can see oil temps as high as 260-270.

Yeah, I can see you wanting to run the higher viscosity if you are tracking in the summer. But I suspect that is the reason that you are seeing high pressure when the weather cools.

Perhaps drain the oil, and if it's not old and soiled, keep it for next summer? Replace with factory recommended weights.

And of course, change the filter.

But also, that psi doesn’t seem super high. I feel like ~80 is about what I see cold (garaged, ~50F lowest) on 5w30 dexos 1. Gets down to ~18 psi at hot idle and a few thousand miles on the oil (~20psi on new oil)

I’ll double check tomorrow.

I'm already on O'Reilly's website seeing what Mobil 1 I can snag up in the next few days. Going to a 5w30 seems to be the first step. Unfortunately the manual doesn't include a viscosity chart for various temperature ranges.

The current oil has about 2,500 miles and a trip to the tail on it, so I have no issues discarding it for fresh. Mobil 1 isn't terribly expensive anyway when you buy in bulk.

Yeah, I can see you wanting to run the higher viscosity if you are tracking in the summer. But I suspect that is the reason that you are seeing high pressure when the weather cools.

Perhaps drain the oil, and if it's not old and soiled, keep it for next summer? Replace with factory recommended weights.

And of course, change the filter.
Nice user name.

I run 20w50 in my M20 powered E30.

Been keeping particularly close eye on my oil pressure this week after reading this thread. After a cold start in 45 degree weather, my oil pressure under load is often in that same 80-87psi range. It's less at idle, and less under load at around 155-160 water temp when things start warming up. I don't think you have anything to worry about.

Been keeping particularly close eye on my oil pressure this week after reading this thread. After a cold start in 45 degree weather, my oil pressure under load is often in that same 80-87psi range. It's less at idle, and less under load at around 155-160 water temp when things start warming up. I don't think you have anything to worry about.
Yea, same. I checked this morning - high 80s PSI when cold and high 70s when warm.

I think you're fine.

You really risking your warranty over wanting slightly thicker oil lol. Run the spec viscosity. Choosing a good quality oil is more important than running something thicker. The guys at Spring Mountain beat the crap out of the cars in Nevada heat on the track with 5W-30.

Going from a 5w30 to a 0w40 isn't going to cause any issues if allowed time to heat up properly.
Most of the engine wear is on startup where the oil has to make it through all the passages as quickly as possible. I agree a 0W-40 probably isn't hurting much, but my pockets not that deep to stomach an LF4 replacement should something go wrong lol.

Damn, this 5w30 vs. 0w40 debate seems to go deep.

Even ran into a thread where someone said they couldn't jack up their car.

Oh that person never actually tried, just decided it wasnt possible to use Race Ramps or a jack to get the vehicle higher than the atomic radius from the ground he assessed was the factory ride height.

I agree with the use of factory recommended viscosity, especially since there is a lot of information in the manual specifically about tracking the car. Absent from that information is any mention of different spec oil. But hey, its ultimately your car and your decision.

Win 2 Supercharged Cadillacs!

Win both supercharged Cadillac Vs!

Supporting Vendors

Exhibitions of Speed

Signature Wheels

Taput Tunning LLC

V-Series Marketplace

Advertise with the Cadillac V-Net!

Torque Shop

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom