Welcome to the Cadillac V-Series Forums!

Excessive wear on front tires

RJ-BlkWing

V-Series Cadillac(s)?
2023 CT5 V Blackwing 6M, 2012 CTS-V 6M (sold 2017).
2023 Blackwing 6M, car in for and oil change. Both front tires were badly one on the inside of the tire. The where was so severe I need two front tires on the blackwing. Has anyone else had that type of problem with their front end alignment. I hope when they put the new tires on, they will make an adjustment for the alignment so that I don’t get that inside where as badly as I have now on this set. Rear tires had very little wear, and they were smooth inside and outside. Miles 25867. Everything is running extremely well.
Anyone else have that type of problem?

LOL on the voice-to-text. Proof read!

I suspect that most of us here don't have that many miles on our car.

Also, these high performance tires generally don't last past 15 or 20K miles.

Too many unknowns and variables on the OP post.

As BimmerFan stated, HP tires usually have a short lifespan. Instead of “hoping” they will make an adjustment to your alignment, have a discussion on your driving habits with the alignment person. A good alignment person will listen and tweak the alignment closer to your habits and explain the trade offs.

LOL on the voice-to-text. Proof read!

I suspect that most of us here don't have that many miles on our car.

Also, these high performance tires generally don't last past 15 or 20K miles.
I guess I’m lucky to have that many miles on the front tires but the wear and tear just seems to be in the wrong place. Treads are just fine. It’s just that side inside that is wearing very thin.

That sounds like a good plan. I will talk with the service guy and see what can be done with his new set when it comes in thanks.

I've got 32,062 miles on my 5BW 6MT. 2 track days but otherwise mostly highway miles. The OEM Michelins are worn evenly front to back & side to side at all 4 corners. They are almost but not quite to the wear bars. I'm probably looking at a new pair of shoes in the next couple of months.

I would check you alignment at a reputable alignment shop to make sure the fronts are within spec.

Attachments

• 20240831_151317.jpg
    20240831_151317.jpg
    4 MB · Views: 29
  • 20240831_151355.jpg
    20240831_151355.jpg
    4 MB · Views: 30
I guess I’m lucky to have that many miles on the front tires but the wear and tear just seems to be in the wrong place. Treads are just fine. It’s just that side inside that is wearing very thin.
I assume these cars have some negative camber dialed in for performance reasons causing them to wear a bit faster on the inside. I think the track alignment on the 5BW calls for -2.5 degrees. I think a street alignment is more like - 1.0 degree of front camber. When you go for the alignment find out what you are at so you know going forward.

At any rate, as others have mentioned, 25k miles out of these tires is about all you are ever going to get anyway.

That sounds like a good plan. I will talk with the tech before he removes the tires and get the specs.

It is very nice to see people with 30k miles on the stock tires. I always imagined these were 20k mile tires for some reason.

It is very nice to see people with 30k miles on the stock tires. I always imagined these were 20k mile tires for some reason.
It really depends how you drive. At least the Blackwings come with Michelins PS4S tires with 300 treadwear. The Camaro ZL1 I had came with Goodyear Eagles F1s with 220 treadwear. 12k miles and they were shot.

FWIW, I have 5500 on my 5BW 6M. No track time yet. I just measured my tires a few days ago and all 4 of them have at least 1/32 less on the inside shoulders by comparison to the center and outside shoulders. Fronts have 8/32 and rears have about 7.5/32. Factory set alignment.

I've got 32,062 miles on my 5BW 6MT. 2 track days but otherwise mostly highway miles. The OEM Michelins are worn evenly front to back & side to side at all 4 corners. They are almost but not quite to the wear bars. I'm probably looking at a new pair of shoes in the next couple of months.

I would check you alignment at a reputable alignment shop to make sure the fronts are within spec.
And my hat off to you for having that kind of mileage on your 5BW, well done!
were not worthy waynes world GIF

Win 2 Supercharged Cadillacs!

Win both supercharged Cadillac Vs!

Supporting Vendors

Exhibitions of Speed

Signature Wheels

Taput Tunning LLC

V-Series Marketplace

Advertise with the Cadillac V-Net!

Torque Shop

Our Partners

Back