Welcome to the Cadillac V-Series Forums!

CT4 BW Bridgestone Potenza All Seasons?

albertw

I would like performance all season tires on my CT4V BW. The standard choice is the PS AS4. However, several tests on Tire Rack claim these tires reduce steering feedback appreciably compared to the stock PS 4S summer tires. I changed from an M240i mainly to get better steering feedback without losing rear seats and I don't want to give any up feedback if possible.

The same Tire Rack tests report that the Bridgestone Potenza Sport AS gives by far the best steering feedback of any performance all season tire they've tested, which makes it very attractive to me. (Also attractive is a bit less traction than the PS AS4, which means I could run up to the traction limit in corners at lower speeds. Not that sliding a car on public roads is all that sane, but at lower speeds it's less insane.) It is available in the stock size for the front, but not the rear.

So, I'm wondering about using the Bridgestone Potenza RE980AS+ on the rear. This is a lower performance tire but less traction on the rear than the front would make the car more tail happy, which I would like as well.

A search of the forum didn't pull up any comments on either of these tires. Any thoughts on this combination?

I would like performance all season tires on my CT4V BW. The standard choice is the PS AS4. However, several tests on Tire Rack claim these tires reduce steering feedback appreciably compared to the stock PS 4S summer tires. I changed from an M240i mainly to get better steering feedback without losing rear seats and I don't want to give any up feedback if possible.

The same Tire Rack tests report that the Bridgestone Potenza Sport AS gives by far the best steering feedback of any performance all season tire they've tested, which makes it very attractive to me. (Also attractive is a bit less traction than the PS AS4, which means I could run up to the traction limit in corners at lower speeds. Not that sliding a car on public roads is all that sane, but at lower speeds it's less insane.) It is available in the stock size for the front, but not the rear.

So, I'm wondering about using the Bridgestone Potenza RE980AS+ on the rear. This is a lower performance tire but less traction on the rear than the front would make the car more tail happy, which I would like as well.

A search of the forum didn't pull up any comments on either of these tires. Any thoughts on this combination?
If you are after steering feedback then you want a summer tire. Steering feedback and all season tires is like an oxymoron.

I feel like using different tires front to rear is going to cause the computers some confusion.

OP I think you are overthinking this. Most tire brands don't recommend mixing tire models and as pointed out above, any all season is going to be a step down in terms of steering responsiveness compared to the special PS$S tires Cadillac has spec'd. However, on other cars I have used some all seasons that still feel pretty sharp (AS3 Plus) and you get used to the slight downgrade in responsiveness within a couple of days.

I drive mountain backroads in BC for entertainment only outside of tourist season. Morning temperatures can be well be 40 degrees F, so keeping the PS4S tires long term is not an option.

From Tire Rack reviews on PS 4S vs other summer performance tires, it appears that the PS 4s doesn't rank very high in steering feedback. So I am hopeful that the best all season tire might be just about as good as the middle rank summer tire on our cars in this regard. (Sure the PS 4S is top ranked for traction and steering responsiveness, but those matter much less to me than steering feedback.)

It would be great to get a comment from someone who has actually tried the Potenza Sport AS on any performance car, to compare with what Tire Rack says.

I drive mountain backroads in BC for entertainment only outside of tourist season. Morning temperatures can be well be 40 degrees F, so keeping the PS4S tires long term is not an option.

From Tire Rack reviews on PS 4S vs other summer performance tires, it appears that the PS 4s doesn't rank very high in steering feedback. So I am hopeful that the best all season tire might be just about as good as the middle rank summer tire on our cars in this regard. (Sure the PS 4S is top ranked for traction and steering responsiveness, but those matter much less to me than steering feedback.)

It would be great to get a comment from someone who has actually tried the Potenza Sport AS on any performance car, to compare with what Tire Rack says.
This is what performance winter tires are for. I run vredestein wintrac pros on my bmw 335 and can recommend.

All seasons = no seasons. Run the ps4s in the warm and and a bad ass winter set in the cold.

Mismatching compounds front and rear is a horrible idea as you will completely over or understeer depending on conditions (and the bias will be constantly variable as conditions chnage). Thats a death wish.

FWIW, the non-Z51 C8 Corvettes come with Michelin All Season tires, considered some of the best.

If you are willing to compromise a little bit with All Season tires, then I would stick to the AS4s. They are not as sharp as the PS4S but if you are not really tracking the car the you probably won't notice much difference. I have the AS4s on my Tesla and my son has them on his Civic. Great tires and much better tread-life.

All seasons = no seasons. Run the ps4s in the warm and and a bad ass winter set in the cold.

Mismatching compounds front and rear is a horrible idea as you will completely over or understeer depending on conditions (and the bias will be constantly variable as conditions chnage). Thats a death wish.

All seasons = shoulder seasons. On my spring and fall driving vacations I usually see temperatures between 30 and 80 degrees F. Only all season tires work well for that range.

You make a good point about varying balance. I assumed the Potenza Sport AS on the front would stick better than the RE980AS+ on the rear, leading to easier oversteer (good), but that's probably only true in warm weather. Near freezing the rears likely would stick better, leading to understeer (boring). The benefit in warm weather probably is cancelled by the disadvantage in cold weather.

Check out the Tire Rack review of Falken Azenis FK460 A/S. I have them for my cold weather set. I only used them for about three months so far before I put the original summers back on, but I didn't push them when I had them on. I kind of doubt I will anyway when the temps are freezing or below. The review was good, price is good and tire wear rating is also good.

Attachments

• PXL_20240114_223848616.jpg
    PXL_20240114_223848616.jpg
    4.1 MB · Views: 27

Win 2 Supercharged Cadillacs!

Win both supercharged Cadillac Vs!

Supporting Vendors

Exhibitions of Speed

Signature Wheels

Taput Tunning LLC

V-Series Marketplace

Advertise with the Cadillac V-Net!