Welcome to the Cadillac V-Series Forums!

6,000+ mile owner review 2024 CT5-V Blackwing

NorthernBel

V-Series Cadillac(s)?
2024 CT5 V Blackwing
Summary: Great all around car that I'm happy to drive daily. It has ruined restomods for me!

Highs:
  • Handling / ride balance
  • Engine
  • Manual transmission
Areas for improvement:
  • Cabin noise at 80+ mph
  • Very high-speed (150+ mph) stability
  • Steering wheel telescope 1" too short & dash too close to knees
I ordered the car in early Dec. 2023 and it arrived early Mar. 2024. Since then I've driven it 6,400 miles in a variety of driving: daily, pleasure, long road trips with my family. It is the best all around car that I've driven. It does everything, that I use it for regularly, very well to excellently and I love getting into it, to the point that I find reasons to drive it that are unnecessary.

The handling / ride balance is excellent. It is definitely not as sharp as a dedicated sports car but it isn't far behind. I've never felt like the suspension is too hard and never wished for it to be more firm. For daily use and taking passengers it is wonderful while still being very fun to drive.

The manual transmission, shifter, and clutch are near perfect. The feel is just right in terms of force required to use and precision. It takes enough force to let you know you are dealing with something serious and it takes intention, but it is light enough that it is not a chore. The shifter is precise, not rubbery, yet isolates the driver from the vibration and noise associated with a race setup.

The seats are near perfect as well. At first they feel too firm but even on 10+ hour road trips, they are very comfortable. I climb out after hours behind the wheel and I'm not sore nor stiff. They feel high quality (I have the semi-aniline leather). Using the thigh extension allowed my legs to drop a little lower in front (seat was already at the lowest position) and avoid hitting the dash. I'm very happy to have the heating and ventilation functions. I use one or the other every time I drive.

The carbon ceramic brakes are outstanding! Great feel and power. No noise nor dust. Zero downside to them, other than the cost. I'm also very happy that Cadillac put the car on Pilot Sport 4S tires. I think these are the best all around tires (possibly except for the new 5S). It would be great to be able to order a second set of wheels and tires from the factory fitted with either winter or all season tires as an option on the purchase.

The engine is great! I have an LT5 in another vehicle and at less than 5,000 rpm, this engine feels just as strong. Even above 5,000 it is not a dramatic difference. It is strong enough that I rarely take the opportunity to floor it. When I do, it is really nice to know that the power is there. The car puts the power to the ground shockingly well! The suspension geometry and traction management system do a really outstanding job. The engine sound is also very nice, strong, low tones with a good scream up top. It manages to be both quiet and loud when it should be in the right ways. I much prefer the supercharged 6.2L V8 over rival 4.0L or 4.4L V8's and definitely over any 6 or 4 cylinder engines. The 6.2 has more power and torque in the rev range that I drive in most of the time. No need to wind it out to get the power and attract the wrong attention on public roads. Also there is zero lag and the throttle response is nearly instantaneous. Additionally, the LT engines have huge aftermarket support and great additional power potential for modification down the road. Ideally the engine would have come from the factory with the 2650 supercharger like on the LT4.5 in the Escalade V or the LT5 from the 2019 ZR1, but at least it is already supercharged and a great base to start from.

Overall the car feels very solid and well put together. The quality of the interior feels very good, the leather and switch gear. I really like the combination of touchscreens and physical controls. The LT4 and TR-6060 transmission are well proven and well understood. I do expect it to last a long time and when it does need service, parts will be available and reasonable cost.

The looks of the car have grown on me. At first I didn't care for it much, now I really like the look. The panel fit, paint evenness, and cleanliness should be better. The paint color choices and quality is really not all that much different from many other GM brands, including Chevy. I would have been willing to pay a premium for premium paint quality, more color choice, and more consistent panel gaps. None of the paint colors really struck me as exceptional. I think if Cadillac were to offer a paint-to-sample sort of program, there would be a sufficient take rate to justify it. It would further help elevate the brand as well.

In general I like the interior ergonomics. It feels good to get into the car. The controls are in easy to see and use locations. I love the low dash height and the amount of glass in the car. The 360 degree and forward facing cameras are incredibly useful. The one really negative quirk to the interior is the dash shape above the driver's right leg. There is an in excusable corner right above the knee and it makes for very close clearance. That corner forces me to sit further back away from the steering wheel than I would like, otherwise my knee hits it. Then when I sit that far back, the steering wheel does not telescope enough. If it had 1" more travel, it would be great. As it is, I have to learn to like a driving position that is suboptimal for me. This could be solved by that additional telescope or getting rid of that corner and adding adjustable pedals. The lack of a sunglasses holder in the ceiling is a silly oversight as well. It would have cost very little and would have added a lot of usability and freed up space in the small console storge compartment. I do wish there were more high end customization options. I would have paid a premium to get more color options and even more leather coverage, such as on the lower door panels.

The feel of the car at very high-speeds surprised me. I have driven a number of cars at speeds over 150 mph, including a '66 Plymouth to 208 mph in the standing mile, so I have a basis of comparison. First off, the car came from the factory with the alignment off. That hurt a lot. Getting that corrected helped quite a bit but it still feels like it is on its toes all of the time. It is probably part of why it is fun to drive at lower speeds and improves the agility. However at very high speeds, it does not inspire confidence. I think it is a combination of the alignment settings and the steering ratio. The 2006 Chrysler SRT-8 that I had felt far more stable at 170 mph than the Cadillac feels at 150 mph. I suppose this is reasonable given that the car is almost never driven at those speeds but just not what I was expecting. I'm guessing that it could be changed with the alignment but it would trade off that agile feeling at lower speeds.

I like that it can carry 5 people and it makes it practical for daily use. However it was cramped on those long road trips with 4 of us in the car (two 6 footers in the back). I was hoping that it would be a better road trip car. I expect that we will still be using our Durango SRT for most road trips. It has far more space to move around while seated and is actually quieter at interstate speeds. That is another thing that I didn't expect. I will take the car in to have it looked at to see if it can be addressed but at 80+ mph it has a very odd and annoying drone. It doesn't appear to be coming from the engine as the sound does not change with the exhaust settings. I don't know if it is coming from the rear spoiler (I have the carbon package), tires, wind, or some other driveline component. It may even be some odd malfunction of a noise cancellation system (not sure the car even has that). It is loud enough to be annoying and even makes hearing conversations difficult at normal speaking volumes.

A few other minor areas for improvement: An Improved turning radius would be nice. It's not terrible, just an annoyance. Increased gas tank capacity of just a couple more gallons would also be very nice. Again it is usable the way it is. I can get over 300 miles on the highway between stops but another couple gallons would improve flexibility. Finally just updating the infotainment graphics, resolution, and contrast. There should also be a way to move CarPlay to a shortcut on the bottom of the screen and switch from CarPlay to other functions without having to press the home button. Finally, there should be no data sharing without explicit opt in requirements from the owner.

Lastly, I really like where the brand is positioned and where I think it is going. It is a premium brand but not too much so. I feel comfortable driving this car anywhere and I would not feel the same about some other high end brands. I really like how the car uses high volume components like the GM LT4 and TR-6060 but in a package that is not all that common and that I rarely see on the road. My dealership experiences have also been very good. The purchase was zero hassle and at MSRP even though these are / were very much in demand at the time, even with both carbon packages. The quality has been excellent. The only reason I've taken it back was for an oil change, which was no charge, and then they noticed the alignment was off (dealer automatically checks it when you drive in). I also really like that Cadillac is expanding their presence in racing, including Formula 1. They are making a real effort to regain the "Standard of the World" status with programs like Celestiq. The teasers that they have put out about some form of supercar are also encouraging. My guess is it will be based on the C8 chassis. Ideally they back off of the 100% electric pledge and offer ICE, hybrid, and EV.

Overall I am extremely happy with the car. It has ruined restomods for me. If I were to modify a '69 Camaro or '70 Chevelle, I would probably be trying to turn it into what the Blackwing already is. It would cost A LOT more and wouldn't be as nice or work as well or be remotely as safe. It would only have the advantage in looks and presence.

Car details:
2024 CT5-V Blackwing
Argent Silver / Black Semi-Aniline interior
6 speed manual
Carbon packages 1 & 2
Carbon ceramic brakes with red calipers
No sunroof
Weight of the car with full tank 4,076.5 lbs, empty tank 3,973 lbs.

Attachments

• IMG_4050.jpg
    IMG_4050.jpg
    586.6 KB · Views: 237
Welcome. Super write up. And your certainly driving it - 6,000+ miles in a few months. I suppose you'll be keeping it awhile.

Great write-up!

Agree with all your points, especially the “didn’t like the looks, at first”.

I traded in my fully loaded V3 for it, and felt like a step down in terms of looks. But the interior was a step up in terms of usability! Physical buttons, seats with massage and ventilation, wireless CarPlay! Love it!!

Don’t love the loss of the back seat luxury features (third climate, heated rear seats, sun shades, even in the rear).

Love gaining a manual tranny!! And the torque. My God, it honestly feels like a different engine altogether…

I’ve got 14,000 miles on mine and continue to daily it.
IMG_3258.jpeg

Attachments

• AD2D5CA7-4710-4406-9471-9B8F44CF305D.jpeg
    AD2D5CA7-4710-4406-9471-9B8F44CF305D.jpeg
    412.9 KB · Views: 71
Last edited:
Great write-up!

Agree with all your points, especially the “didn’t like the looks, at first”.

I traded in my fully loaded V3 for it, and felt like a step down in terms of looks. But the interior was a step up in terms of usability! Physical buttons, seats with massage and ventilation, wireless CarPlay! Love it!!

Don’t love the loss of the back seat luxury features (third climate, heated rear seats, sun shades, even in the rear).

Love gaining a manual tranny!! And the torque. My God, it honestly feels like a different engine altogether…

I’ve got 14,000 miles on mine and continue to daily it. View attachment 26608
Where you at in Phoenix? NSEW?

I was torn between the blues and the silver when I was looking. Blue popped first specced they way I wanted.
If a silver with the sky cool grey semi seats had come along with CF packages it would have been the winner.

Great looking car.

I was torn between the blues and the silver when I was looking. Blue popped first specced they way I wanted.
If a silver with the sky cool grey semi seats had come along with CF packages it would have been the winner.

Great looking car.
I know you are referring to the OP, but yours is not too shabby!!

Win 2 Supercharged Cadillacs!

Win both supercharged Cadillac Vs!

Supporting Vendors

Exhibitions of Speed

Signature Wheels

Taput Tunning LLC

V-Series Marketplace

Advertise with the Cadillac V-Net!

Torque Shop

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom